Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2006/12/23 13:56:15 UTC

Website changes

Hey Luceners,

There have been several changes to the website (http://
lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html) that may or may not affect
how people use Lucene documentation.

Previously, the website was, more or less, static since it was based
on the latest official release.  Sometimes it was updated for news or
when committers were added.  That has all changed now.  The main
website is now based on the nightly build of the documentation.
Additionally, the API documentation is based on the nightly build and
reflects what is in the trunk of SVN.  Nightly builds of the source
(binary distributions) can now be located on the "Developers" page
via the Resources left-hand menu.

For those of you looking for documentation of a specific release, you
can find it under the "Site Versions" section in the left-hand menu.
Docs as far back as 1.4.3 are supported.  File a JIRA issue if you
would like to see a prior release to that.

For those looking to start contributing, the Resources-> Developers
page has some helpful starting points.  Notably, the Clover test
coverage reports show where we are lacking in test coverage.  Writing
tests is a good way to get an understanding of what is going on
inside Lucene and are always welcome.

-Grant

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org

LuceneFAQ

Re: Website changes

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
I hate "me too" emials but i seriously can't thank Grant enough for doing
this ... documentation is one of hte least glamourous parts of a project,
and "revamping" documentation that already exists just to make it easier
to use is the least glamourous of all -- but having the multiple site
versions (and a simple framework for adding more as future releases come
out) is relaly going to make providing help for people using older
releases a lot easier -- not to mention making the "latest greatest"
documentation more visible both for users on the bleeding edge, and for
developers who dont' allways notice that their javadocs or xdocs changes
are malformed untill they see them on a web page.

Thanks a lot Grant.

: There have been several changes to the website (http://
: lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html) that may or may not affect
: how people use Lucene documentation.

-Hoss