Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/30 03:36:15 UTC

Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1

Wait! I'm not done or I'm loosing my marbles...

I followed the whole song and dance from:

http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus

It's the last time I'll pick that route.

I cannot seem to have published the Maven bits to Maven places. There is no
1.5 here:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-codec/commons-codec/

Because it is not here:

/x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/commons-codec

What does "Promote" out of Nexus do then?

Should I copy the files to /www/
people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository myself per

http://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html

under the section "3 Deploy Maven Artifacts"?

Or will that cause problem with work I did in Nexus (for the last time?)

Thank you

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 March 2011 08:07, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 12:01 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>
>> Le 30/03/2011 03:36, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>>> Wait! I'm not done or I'm loosing my marbles...
>>>
>>> I followed the whole song and dance from:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus
>>>
>>> It's the last time I'll pick that route.
>>
>> For what its worth, for math 2.2 I used a mix of Phil scripts for the
>> beginning and Nexus for the rest, using the wiki as a guideline. In this
>> case the process was a little convoluted, because we create both a
>> trimmed down version of the site to hold only the user guide and to be
>> put in the docs archives, and we create a complete site to be uploaded.
>>
>> For the last release candidate, it worked well. Phil asked me to
>> document it and extend the scripts if needed, and I forgot to do it in
>> time, sorry :-(
>>
>> The one thing I found cumbersome was that part of the process pushed
>> non-maven artifacts on Nexus, that had to be manually moved away.
>> Furthermore, these are what we consider here the real Apache artifacts
>> (i.e. the ones that are available in the download page, not the ones
>> that are at last published in maven repository).
>>
>> I also have some slight concerns using a proprietary product, but as it
>> secures some things as Sebb says, I can live with it.
>>
>> Is it possible to find some intermediate approach, extending Phil
>> scripts, pushing only the maven part on Nexus directly without having to
>> log on Nexus web interface ? The last part (not logging to close the
>> staging area) may reduce the safety we get and risk some spurious
>> publish as Sebb explained, but with several independent scripts, this
>> could leverage the risk.
>
> Is this what you are looking for?  http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging-sect-managing-plugin.html

Oh dear. I was hoping that had not been implemented.

Using that plugin means that one can effectively bypass Nexus.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 30/03/2011 09:07, Ralph Goers a écrit :

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 12:01 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>
>> Le 30/03/2011 03:36, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>>> Wait! I'm not done or I'm loosing my marbles...
>>>
>>> I followed the whole song and dance from:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus
>>>
>>> It's the last time I'll pick that route.
>>
>> For what its worth, for math 2.2 I used a mix of Phil scripts for the
>> beginning and Nexus for the rest, using the wiki as a guideline. In this
>> case the process was a little convoluted, because we create both a
>> trimmed down version of the site to hold only the user guide and to be
>> put in the docs archives, and we create a complete site to be uploaded.
>>
>> For the last release candidate, it worked well. Phil asked me to
>> document it and extend the scripts if needed, and I forgot to do it in
>> time, sorry :-(
>>
>> The one thing I found cumbersome was that part of the process pushed
>> non-maven artifacts on Nexus, that had to be manually moved away.
>> Furthermore, these are what we consider here the real Apache artifacts
>> (i.e. the ones that are available in the download page, not the ones
>> that are at last published in maven repository).
>>
>> I also have some slight concerns using a proprietary product, but as it
>> secures some things as Sebb says, I can live with it.
>>
>> Is it possible to find some intermediate approach, extending Phil
>> scripts, pushing only the maven part on Nexus directly without having to
>> log on Nexus web interface ? The last part (not logging to close the
>> staging area) may reduce the safety we get and risk some spurious
>> publish as Sebb explained, but with several independent scripts, this
>> could leverage the risk.
>
> Is this what you are looking for?  http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging-sect-managing-plugin.html

Almost. As a maven plugin, I suspect it will be difficult to select
exactly what we want and what we don't want on nexus. For example I had
to manually remove the non-maven artifacts (files for the donwload area
and spurious checksum of signature files). With this plugin, I see we
can list what has been uploaded but I don't see how to delete some of
the files before closing the staging area.

Luc

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

> > I cannot seem to have published the Maven bits to Maven places. There is
> no
> > 1.5 here:
> >
> > http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-codec/commons-codec/

Still nothing there. :(

Gary

Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is this cool command called "cp" that works very well.  There
> is another one called "tar" and even one called "scp" ;)  If the
> problem is that we want to be more paranoid than we are with the
> mirrors for the maven stuff, why can't we just get access and copy
> the files we want to put in the staging repo?

Yes, and there is a stupid little thing called "human", which tends to
introduce slight little errors on the way like wrong permissions,
ownership, missing MD5 sums, and the like.

Just believe me, if you did than once with 40 files or so, then you
start to like Nexus and the release plugin real soon.

> Or write a simple
> script that moves the kind of thing that I have sitting now in
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.6-rc2/maven/
> to the "staging repository" and another script or command that
> "promotes" it.  It seems ridiculous to me that we need to introduce
> a proprietary GUI tool to just move files on ASF hosts.

That would simply mean to rewrite the release plugin plus maintain it
whenever Apache, Maven, or Commons change their policies. Do you
really think that makes sense?

I am sorry for everyone who's forced to publish a release with Nexus.
But I'm much more sorry for everyone who's forced to do it without.
And, believe me, I've had plenty of both variants as a release manager
for various projects in commons and ws, and Rat.

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)

Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 March 2011 19:23, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 30/03/2011 18:43, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> I get that, which is why I think some kind of middle ground where we
>> provide simple scripts to move stuff around on the ASF hosts might
>> be a good compromise.  This is essentially what the ibiblio-rysnch
>> stuff does.  The only manual missing piece is correctly updating the
>> maven-metadata (which logically the assembly or other such plugin
>> could do locally) and maybe some kind of check to make sure that
>> things are deployed to the right directories.
>
> You might want to take a look at how Tomcat 7 does this. It is built
> with Ant [1] and has a separate Ant script [2] for uploading stuff to
> the ASF snapshot, staging and release repositories which also handles
> the meta-data.

But the script appears to need quite a lot of configuration that has
to match the release.

> Timing wise:
> - creating the release: 2 mins work + ~15 mins build time
> - uploading for voting: 2 mins work + ~60 mins transfer time
> - moving to dist if vote passes: 2 mins work
> - updating the site: 5 mins work
> - creating maven artifacts: 2 mins work + ~60 mins transfer time
>
> It constantly amazes me how much more complicated the release process
> appears to be in Commons for what should be much simpler components than
> Tomcat (no Windows installer, no native libraries, no fun with different
> NOTICE and LICENSE files for different jars, etc.).

However, Commons has a lot of different components with differing
numbers of release artifacts and diferent source directory layouts.
And at least one component does have native code (Daemon) and one has
special processing for user guide (Math) and another requires multiple
builds and jars (DBCP). And I think some may still use Maven 1.

I think a lot of the (perceived) complication is due to the fact that
the build instructions have not been fully updated since Maven 1.

Also, there are a lot of different RMs (generally one per component)
rather than one per Tomcat version, so the RMs are generally not as
familiar with the process.

If there is a problem with the Tomcat script, you can tweak it and
test it quite easily as there's only one product to test against.
Does the Tomcat 7 script work as is with Tomcat 6 and 5?

I'm not saying that the Commons release process could not be improved,
but I do think that:
- it is not as bad as people make out - though the docs need lots of work
- replacing it will not be a trivial task, because of the number of components

> I assume it shouldn't be too difficult to do a similar thing with a
> couple of Maven scripts.

Unfortunately Maven is much harder to tweak than Ant if one wants to
do anything slightly unusual, and debugging problems is much harder
than with Ant.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/30/11 11:23 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 30/03/2011 18:43, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> I get that, which is why I think some kind of middle ground where we
>> provide simple scripts to move stuff around on the ASF hosts might
>> be a good compromise.  This is essentially what the ibiblio-rysnch
>> stuff does.  The only manual missing piece is correctly updating the
>> maven-metadata (which logically the assembly or other such plugin
>> could do locally) and maybe some kind of check to make sure that
>> things are deployed to the right directories.
> You might want to take a look at how Tomcat 7 does this. It is built
> with Ant [1] and has a separate Ant script [2] for uploading stuff to
> the ASF snapshot, staging and release repositories which also handles
> the meta-data.
>
> Timing wise:
> - creating the release: 2 mins work + ~15 mins build time
> - uploading for voting: 2 mins work + ~60 mins transfer time
> - moving to dist if vote passes: 2 mins work
> - updating the site: 5 mins work
> - creating maven artifacts: 2 mins work + ~60 mins transfer time
>
> It constantly amazes me how much more complicated the release process
> appears to be in Commons for what should be much simpler components than
> Tomcat (no Windows installer, no native libraries, no fun with different
> NOTICE and LICENSE files for different jars, etc.).
>
> I assume it shouldn't be too difficult to do a similar thing with a
> couple of Maven scripts.
Thanks, Mark!

The mvn-pub script looks like it could be modified to do what we need.

I will see if I can get something like that working for the next
release I cut.  The big advantage of that over my scripts and manual
moves on p.a.o is that it is platform independent and does not
require shell access for the maven deployment.

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/30/11 10:24 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 30 March 2011 17:03, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I asked about extending Nexus so it could handle non-Maven staging,
>>> and that did seem to be possible, but whether it will ever be
>>> implemented, I don't know.
>>>
>>> That would be ideal.

>>> Separating the deployments of Maven and non-Maven artifacts might be
>>> possible, but I'm not sure I have enough Maven-foo to do it.
>>>
>>> It would mean removing the non-maven stuff from deploy, and using some
>>> other means to copy the non-maven stuff to a separate staging
>>> directory.
>>>
>> There is this cool command called "cp" that works very well.  There
> Does not work natively on Windows or various other OSes.

Last I checked, we do not run Windows on ASF infra at this point.
We are talking about moving stuff from ASF host to ASF host here.
For that, unix commands work just fine.
>> is another one called "tar" and even one called "scp" ;)  If the
>> problem is that we want to be more paranoid than we are with the
>> mirrors for the maven stuff, why can't we just get access and copy
>> the files we want to put in the staging repo?  Or write a simple
>> script that moves the kind of thing that I have sitting now in
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.6-rc2/maven/
>> to the "staging repository" and another script or command that
>> "promotes" it.  It seems ridiculous to me that we need to introduce
>> a proprietary GUI tool to just move files on ASF hosts.
> Nexus does more than just move files around.
>
> It maintains the maven-metadata.xml file, and checks that the
> signature is correct.
> It also ensures that the file is uploaded to the correct directory
> based on the groupId.
> There are probably other features I have not encountered.
>
> If someone wants to spend time creating and maintaining an alternative
> tool, fine, but don't overlook the benefits that Nexus brings.
>
> At present I think it's great that I can do a "mvn deploy" and not
> worry that it might be published accidentally.
>
> Nexus makes it easy for non-Unix types to inspect the files and delete
> any that should not be there or upload others that are missing.

I get that, which is why I think some kind of middle ground where we
provide simple scripts to move stuff around on the ASF hosts might
be a good compromise.  This is essentially what the ibiblio-rysnch
stuff does.  The only manual missing piece is correctly updating the
maven-metadata (which logically the assembly or other such plugin
could do locally) and maybe some kind of check to make sure that
things are deployed to the right directories.

I like much better to be able to inspect the artifacts that I am
about to put out to vote locally.  That is why I have never liked
"mvn deploy."  I understand that others don't care so much about
that and are willing to trust maven to put what they think it is
going to deploy to where they think it is going to.  With all the
layers of pom inheritance and history of bugs, I don't trust this
approach and it saves me no time personally.  I also understand that
some Windows users may not want to mess with Cygwin or other tools
to provide scp and such, but I would prefer that at least this route
remain open to those of us who like to package and test locally and
deploy release artifacts manually.

Phil

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
That wasn't maven.  That was a sloppy eclipse "create project"
implementation.

Posted by Stephen Williams <sd...@lig.net>.
On 3/30/11 12:02 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>>>
>>> I have no idea what you did, but Maven won't delete your source code doing a mvn clean install unless you've placed your source files under the "target" subdirectory.  This could have just as easily been something Eclipse did to you as much as Maven. Maybe you should stop using Eclipse then.
>> It was under 'src' at the project top...  Using Eclipse, without Maven, before and after has always worked fine.  I've never seen Eclipse delete source files automatically ever, other than when triggering that Maven build.
>> Probably it was some obscure thing about the already-existing Maven environment or something.  I couldn't explain it and didn't have extra time or energy to debug or duplicate.  But that's what happened.
> I don't doubt that it happened. I just doubt it was caused by Maven itself. I know of no operation that will delete the src directory or anything under it.  While you are perfectly free to decide to not use Maven, basing the decision solely on the experience you related is not rational.  The choice almost always comes down to Maven being "inflexible" (i.e. requiring

It was rational given my evidence so far.  Just not given your evidence.  I'll chalk it up to an unlucky combination of beginner
steps.  I'm likely to dig into it again soon.

> you to do things its way) vs having hand coded builds with little consistency from project to project.

I don't mind the consistency, however I am not happy when things are more complicated than they need to be.  I see the advantage of
Maven for automatically providing apt/yum/CPAN-like package management for Java.  I'm just not sure it is the simplest way to do it
or that it is something I'd choose for my own project code.

> Ralph

sdw

Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> On 3/29/11 7:33 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:24 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> So, lesson learned: Don't use Maven!  ;-)
>>> No, the other one: make copies of your code through multiple means until it is completely safe.  I hadn't lost code (or any data through paranoid backups that have survived about 20 hard drive failures over the years) for a long time.  It will be a very long time before it happens again.
>>>
>> I have no idea what you did, but Maven won't delete your source code doing a mvn clean install unless you've placed your source files under the "target" subdirectory.  This could have just as easily been something Eclipse did to you as much as Maven. Maybe you should stop using Eclipse then.
>
> It was under 'src' at the project top...  Using Eclipse, without Maven, before and after has always worked fine.  I've never seen Eclipse delete source files automatically ever, other than when triggering that Maven build.
> Probably it was some obscure thing about the already-existing Maven environment or something.  I couldn't explain it and didn't have extra time or energy to debug or duplicate.  But that's what happened.

I don't doubt that it happened. I just doubt it was caused by Maven itself. I know of no operation that will delete the src directory or anything under it.  While you are perfectly free to decide to not use Maven, basing the decision solely on the experience you related is not rational.  The choice almost always comes down to Maven being "inflexible" (i.e. requiring you to do things its way) vs having hand coded builds with little consistency from project to project.

Ralph

Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1

Posted by Stephen Williams <sd...@lig.net>.
On 3/29/11 7:33 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:24 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> So, lesson learned: Don't use Maven!  ;-)
>> No, the other one: make copies of your code through multiple means until it is completely safe.  I hadn't lost code (or any data through paranoid backups that have survived about 20 hard drive failures over the years) for a long time.  It will be a very long time before it happens again.
>>
> I have no idea what you did, but Maven won't delete your source code doing a mvn clean install unless you've placed your source files under the "target" subdirectory.  This could have just as easily been something Eclipse did to you as much as Maven. Maybe you should stop using Eclipse then.

It was under 'src' at the project top...  Using Eclipse, without Maven, before and after has always worked fine.  I've never seen
Eclipse delete source files automatically ever, other than when triggering that Maven build.
Probably it was some obscure thing about the already-existing Maven environment or something.  I couldn't explain it and didn't have
extra time or energy to debug or duplicate.  But that's what happened.

> Ralph

sdw

Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Stephen Williams <sd...@lig.net>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just double-checked, and the staged files were released at 29
> March 2011 06:21 which is less than a day ago.
>
> The files in the staging repo are dated Fri Mar 25 01:34:08, which is
> what made me think it was taking too long.
>
> So I won't send the e-mail yet.

Thanks for checking.

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.