Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Eric Johnson <er...@progress.com> on 2008/11/04 23:58:01 UTC

Gshell Help Messages

I'm looking to add help messages to the ServiceMix 4 shells. I've got a
few questions:
* Is there any special formatting that can be used in the command.manual
property? For example, how does one add line breaks?
* Is there a property for adding arguments to the printed help message?

Thanks,
Eric

-
Eric Johnson
Principal Technical Writer
MII-KS, FUSE
Progress Software Corporation

Re: Gshell Help Messages

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@gmail.com>.
Um... honestly I'm not sure, as I've not really tried to write up full
help pages yet.  Chances are that some features are still needed
there.  I only exposed them as resource bundle messages, but I do
believe there could be some formatting problems.

--jason

Re: Gshell Help Messages

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 7, 2008, at 10:36 PM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> That would be cool.
>
> I had a question about using the following properties:
> command.argument.xxx.description
> command.argument.xxx.tag

Basically, for each command's arguments and options there is an i18n
message to get the value of its description or token.  This is based
on the name of the field (or method) which the annotation is applied to.

So if you have:

     @Option(name="-g", aliases={"--groupId"}, argumentRequired=true,
required=true)
     private String groupId;

Then the "description" of the --groupId option would be configured by

     command.option.groupId=This is the description of groupId

And options that take arguments or regular arguments have a token too,
so in the above case this configures that:

     command.option.groupId.token=GROUP-ID

This is used to generate what users see when they use --help on the
given command based on their locale.

> I saw them in a couple of the properties files, but couldn't figure
> out
> what they do. I tried adding them to one of the SMX4 commands, but
> they
> did not seem to do anything.

Well you need to be sure to follow the convention, for example there
is no ".description" or ".tag" suffixes for these things ;-)

Ping me back if you still have questions.

--jason

Re: Gshell Help Messages

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@progress.com>.
That would be cool.