Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by James Renfro <jl...@ucdavis.edu> on 2007/09/14 23:10:18 UTC

Wicket Accessibility

Is there already an effort out there to make Wicket more accessible for
people with disabilities? It seems like the framework is well-suited to
this -- for instance, adding ARIA (http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-roadmap/)
attributes to markup tags, setting tabindex numbers intelligently and
transparently for the developer, etc.

If nobody's working on this, is there any interest in the community for
finding a central place to hold accessible components, or else to begin
modifying the existing base-level components to make them more accessible?

If you want more background on what I'm talking about, it might be
helpful to take a look at the following (draft) document that the Fluid
project is putting together on the subject:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/DHTML+Developer+Checklist

Thanks,
James.

--
James Renfro
Programmer

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by James Renfro <jl...@ucdavis.edu>.
Thanks Eelco. I've added a new feature ticket. Although I may not have
enough knowledge to push this forward, I am intending to make use of it
on a real project and eat my own dogfood, so I'll do my best to post
what I learn from that process. I'd be thrilled if anybody else out
there is interested in taking part who might have more knowledge about
these standards and/or Wicket.

James.

Eelco Hillenius wrote:
>> Not sure if that's the best method or not, but it seems like a great
>> start here would be a low-level, lightweight support for adding
>> attributes without having to override onComponentTag. This functionality
>> may already be there -- I could easily have missed it.
>>

> Attribute modifiers.
>

>> Numbering the
>> tabindex attributes would require something more invasive, I think --
>> maybe even a modification to Component, WebPage and/or Panel to do the
>> actual counting of sub-components that choose to present themselves as
>> 'tabable'. Also, some support for using arrow and letter keys to
>> navigate (without a mouse) would be very helpful, I think. Of course
>> that's going to require another javascript resource along the lines of
>> wicket-ajax.js and wicket-event.js -- maybe wicket-accessible.js? I feel
>> like I might be getting ahead of myself slightly here :-)
>>
>> What does everybody think?
>>

> I think it is great to have serious support for this in Wicket. What
> we need though is someone with enough knowledge and preferably the
> intention to use this on a real project (eat dogfood) to gather the
> specs of this functionality in a coherent fashion.
>
> A good start is to open a feature request for it in JIRA and use that
> as a base to work on. My hunch is that much of the accessibility
> support won't be incredibly hard once we know exactly what we want.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eelco

James Renfro
Programmer
IET Mediaworks, UC Davis
jlrenfro@ucdavis.edu
W: 530-754-5097

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by James Renfro <jl...@ucdavis.edu>.
Nuno -- thanks -- these links are really helpful.

One thing I've noticed while playing around is that the bulk of these
accessibility changes require introducing tag attributes to the
component tag, for instance, adding role="wai:button" for a tag that
represents a button -- but in some cases the decision as to which role
goes to which tag will need to be made at a high level, based on the
requirements of the app itself. I can see an argument being made that
some of this stuff should be done in html by designers . . . but then
there are cases when it's nice to make the decisions at runtime.

It makes sense to me that Wicket should allow the developer to simplify
that process and abstract these attribute additions out of the html
itself -- for example, by implementing an interface with a single
method, e.g. IRoleContributor.getRole() in Component subclasses -- where
IRoleContributor could extend ITagAttributeContributor or similar. I can
accomplish this in combination with overriding Component.onComponentTag
to verify instanceof these interfaces and use tag.put(name, value) to
insert them.

Not sure if that's the best method or not, but it seems like a great
start here would be a low-level, lightweight support for adding
attributes without having to override onComponentTag. This functionality
may already be there -- I could easily have missed it. Numbering the
tabindex attributes would require something more invasive, I think --
maybe even a modification to Component, WebPage and/or Panel to do the
actual counting of sub-components that choose to present themselves as
'tabable'. Also, some support for using arrow and letter keys to
navigate (without a mouse) would be very helpful, I think. Of course
that's going to require another javascript resource along the lines of
wicket-ajax.js and wicket-event.js -- maybe wicket-accessible.js? I feel
like I might be getting ahead of myself slightly here :-)

What does everybody think?

James

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by Nino Saturnino Martinez Vazquez Wael <ni...@jayway.dk>.

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by Sjoerd Lohuis <s....@func.nl>.
I'm all for making Wicket more accessible. I don't have much Java
expertise, I'm a front-end developer, so maybe I can help with any html
accessibility questions.

I think standards complient html code is the first step into making
every project accessible, but from what I've seen Wicket is well on it's
way.
The second step is making it more user friendly to disabled users. Here
is where you add tabindex attributes, labeled form elements, table
captions etc.

Let me know if I can help.

--
Sjoerd Lohuis
Func. Internet Integration
W http://www.func.nl
T +31 20 4230000
F +31 20 4223500

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/14/07, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> if this can be done in a light weight manner i would be all for merging this
> into the core component set

+1

Eelco

Re: Wicket Accessibility

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
if this can be done in a light weight manner i would be all for merging this
into the core component set

-igor