Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Zelaine Fong <zf...@maprtech.com> on 2016/11/01 22:40:46 UTC

Apache Drill Hangout Minutes - 11/1/16

Attendees: Paul, Padma, Sorabh, Boaz, Sudheesh, Vitalii, Roman, Dave O,
Arina, Laurent, Kunal, Zelaine

I had to leave the hangout at 10:30, so my notes only cover the discussion
up till then.

1) Variable width decimal support - Dave O

Currently Drill only supports fixed width byte array storage of decimals.
Dave has submitted a pull request for DRILL-4834 to add support for storing
decimals with variable width byte arrays.  Eventually, variable width can
replace fixed width, but the pull request doesn't cover that.  Dave would
like someone in the community to review his pull request.

2) 1.9 release - Sudheesh

Sudheesh is collecting pull requests for the release.  Some have been
reviewed and are waiting to be merged.  Sudheesh plans to commit a batch
this Wed and another this Friday.  He's targeting having a release
candidate build available next Monday.

Laurent asked about Sudheesh's pull request for DRILL-1950.  He asked
whether thought had been given to supporting newer Drill clients with older
Drill servers.  Sudheesh indicated that doing this would entail a breaking
change in the protocol, and the plan was to defer doing this for a later
release where we may want to make other breaking changes like this.

Re: Apache Drill Hangout Minutes - 11/1/16

Posted by Laurent Goujon <la...@dremio.com>.
That's a good point that the introduction of new request types for prepared
statement and metadata introduced some incompatibility issues, and that's
why I added a client/server version exchange so that client can make smart
decisions about using these new methods or not (this is the approach used
by the ODBC driver, where the new calls will be used only if server
advertises 1.9.0 or newer). On Java side, direct users of DrillClient would
have to check the version as well, a thing the JDBC driver doesn't. That
said, the metadata change is not merged yet (and I will add the extra
logic), which is not the case regarding prepared statement support.

Also, I verified that the old server doesn't drop the connection: it's
actually dropping the request, and not responding to the client :( (best
would be to return an error message to say unsupported).

Laurent

Posted by Laurent Goujon <la...@dremio.com>.
(+dev@drill.apache.org bcc user@drill.apache.org)
other options:
- let the user decide between plain auth and sasl auth
- let the client could send a flag to announce support for SASL auth, and
do not send the credentials in the first handshake. An old server would
then send AUTH_FAILED (and drop the connection) but the client would retry
with the plain credentials, whereas the new server would send AUTH_REQUIRED
as expected.

Laurent

Laurent

Posted by Laurent Goujon <la...@dremio.com>.