Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "skip@thedevers" <sk...@thedevers.org> on 2007/12/10 19:27:11 UTC

RE: Tomcat Help

Brendan

Hmmm.  Well, first, I would suggest that you get one of the very many wonderful Tomcat books.  However, in a nutshell, you can run as many instances of Tomcat as your CPU can stomach so long as they are listening on different ports.  Ofbiz has an imbedded Tomcat server that by default listens on port 8080 (instead of the port 80 that is the default for IIS and Apache).  You can configure your Ofbiz to listen to port 80 if you want (and remove the need to add ":8080" to the url), but that is not generally a good idea unless it is entirely on an internal network because of security concerns.

If you leave Ofbiz at 8080, you can run IIS with it (at the same time).  Then you would have:

http://localhost/MyWebApp1/ecommerce

http://localhost/MyWebApp2/ecommerce

http://localhost:8080/MyWebApp1/webtools

http://localhost:8080/MyWebApp2/webtools

assuming that you are running the first two on IIS and the second two on Ofbiz.  You can tell Ofbiz where to load your apps with an entry in your custom ofbiz-component.xml like this:

<webapp name="accounting"

title="Accounting"

server="default-server"

location="webapp/accounting"

base-permission="OFBTOOLS,ACCOUNTING"

mount-point="/accounting"/>

Its all pretty simple once you get the hang of it.  On the other hand, if you haven't got a clue, you are going to struggle endlessly.  Take my word for it because I have been through the same drill as has everyone else here.  As I get back to work this Monday morning, I have 120+ emails from the Ofbiz list, and perhaps 1/2 are either from you or responses to your questions.  The best advice I have heard given is to "read the docs".  That is because everything you have asked so far can be found there.  I know you don't want to here this, but if you want to be successful with Ofbiz, bite the bullet and get it done.  Expect to spend a month on the "engine" portion of things.  There are lots of resources on everything except the use of Widgets which is kinda sparce.  Fortunately, the basics for Widgets are not too hard.

Believe me when I tell you that the time spent reading and experimenting will be time well spent.  The Ofbiz entity and service engines are nothing short of extraordinary and useful well beyond the accounting functionality normally associated with Ofbiz.

If you intend to implement the business part of Ofbiz, read the Data Model Resource book through so you fully grok it, then keep it handy for a reference for a while.

Not what you wanted to hear I expect, but it is the best advice I have.

Skip