Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mikhail Strebkov <st...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/14 20:57:16 UTC

OpsCenter datastax-agent 300% CPU

Hi everyone,

Recently I've noticed that most of the nodes have OpsCenter agents running
at 300% CPU. Each node has 4 cores, so agents are using 75% of total
available CPU.

We're running 5 nodes with OpenSource Cassandra 2.1.8 in AWS using
Community AMI. OpsCenter version is 5.1.3. We're using Oracle Java version
1.8.0_45.

*  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND*
31501 cassandr  20   0 3599m 296m  14m S  *339*  2.0  48:20.39
/opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0_45/bin/java -Xmx128M -Djclouds.mpu.parts.magnitude=100000
-Djclouds.mpu.parts.size=16777216
-Dopscenter.ssl.trustStore=/var/lib/datastax-agent/ssl/agentKeyStore
-Dopscenter.ssl.keyStore=/var/lib/datastax-agent/ssl/agentKeyStore
-Dopscenter.ssl.keyStorePassword=opscenter
-Dagent-pidfile=/var/run/datastax-agent/datastax-agent.pid
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/etc/datastax-agent/log4j.properties
-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/etc/datastax-agent/kerberos.config -jar
datastax-agent-5.1.3-standalone.jar
/var/lib/datastax-agent/conf/address.yaml

The logs from the agent looks strange to me:
https://gist.github.com/kluyg/21f78af7adff0a940ed3

The cluster itself seems to be fine, the load is small, nothing bad in
Cassandra system.log.

Does anyone know what to tune to bring it back to normal?

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: OpsCenter datastax-agent 300% CPU

Posted by Sebastian Estevez <se...@datastax.com>.
I recently became aware of a Java driver bug that might be causing similar
symptoms. Do you, perchance, have any keyspaces that have replication
defined against non-existent Data Centers?

https://datastax-oss.atlassian.net/browse/JAVA-702

If so, fixing that replication setting and restarting the agents should fix
this issue.

All the best,

[image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>

Sebastián Estévez

Solutions Architect | 954 905 8615 | sebastian.estevez@datastax.com

[image: linkedin.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/datastax> [image:
facebook.png] <https://www.facebook.com/datastax> [image: twitter.png]
<https://twitter.com/datastax> [image: g+.png]
<https://plus.google.com/+Datastax/about>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/datastax>

<http://cassandrasummit-datastax.com/>

DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology,
delivering Apache Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises.
Datastax is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any
size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax is the
database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds
most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.

Posted by David Comer <da...@outlook.com>.

http://docs.datastax.com/en/opscenter/5.2/opsc/release_notes/opscReleaseNotes520.html <http://tax.com/en/opscenter/5.2/opsc/release_notes/opscReleaseNotes520.html>

*         Fixed issues with agent OOM when storing metrics for large numbers of tables. (OPSC-5934

*         Improved handling of metrics overflow queue on agent. (OPSC-4618)

It's also got a lot of other great new features -- http://docs.datastax.com/en/opscenter/5.2/opsc/online_help/services/opscPerformanceService.html

Let us know if this stops once you upgrade.

All the best,

 <http://www.datastax.com/>

Sebastián Estévez

Solutions Architect | 954 905 8615 <tel:954%20905%208615>  | sebastian.estevez@datastax.com <ma...@datastax.com>