Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/01/26 22:33:38 UTC

[Httpcomponents Wiki] Update of "BoardReports/Report2008-01" by RolandWeber

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Httpcomponents Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by RolandWeber:
http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/BoardReports/Report2008-01

The comment on the change is:
moving, merging and archiving Jan08 board report

New page:
## This is an archived Board Report. Please do not edit.

== January 2008 Board Report ==

=== Status ===

There are no items needing immediate attention of the board except to
note
that we are currently in the process of drafting our own PMC bylaws.

=== Releases ===

No releases since last report.

We are working on releasing HttpCore 4.0 beta1 very soon.

=== Community ===

No arrivals or departures.

We have made a lot of modifications to the web site to improve
navigation
and make it easier for users to find the documentation we have on the
site
and on the wiki. We still need to add a useful Get Involved page and
developer documentation, to lower the bar for new contributors and to
spread the knowledge better among the existing committers.

=== Migration ===

Since end of December 2007, we no longer depend on Jakarta resources.

Items done:
 * moved Subversion content
   * updated Subversion and mail references in Maven
   * updated Gump metadata
 * moved all sections of the web site
   * set up redirect from the site at Jakarta
   * updated site references in Maven
 * moved download area to dist/httpcomponents/
   * set up download redirect from dist/jakarta/
 * consolidated archive at dist/httpcomponents/
   * set up archive redirect from dist/jakarta/
   * set up archive redirect from dist/commons/
 * created DOAPs for HttpCore and HttpClient 4.0
 * updated DOAP for Commons HttpClient 3.1
 * updated external mail archives
   * www.nabble.com
   * marc.info

Items still pending:
 * move of Wiki, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1442
 * creating the bylaws, we're still operating under Jakarta bylaws

=== Development ===

We currently use Maven 2 for generating and deploying the main web site
and the component specific sites, and Maven 1 for generating and
deploying the HttpClient 3.1 site. There are some kinks to the Maven 2
deployment process. We will consider to move to a Subversion based
deployment for the main web site. Component specific sites and the
3.1 site are typically only redeployed after releases and include
extensive generated content like JavaDocs and cross-referenced sources,
these make little sense in Subversion.

The release of HttpCore 4.0 beta1 is imminent. This will be a major
milestone, as it marks the beginning of API stability in HttpCore.
We've made significant and incompatible improvements to the API after
each of the 6 alphas, and have finally reached a point where we are
reasonably comfortable with it.

In HttpClient, we could resolve a long-standing deficiency in the
interrupt handling of the thread-safe connection manager by using
Java 5 features. The decision to upgrade the Java requirement proved
really useful here.