Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Huygaa Batsaikhan <ba...@google.com> on 2018/08/06 22:43:50 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Tracking & Visualizing various metrics of the Beam community

Continuing the discussion
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6138d08c551e254b5f13b26c6ba06579a49a4694f4d13ad6d164689a@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E>
about improving Beam code review, I am looking into visualizing various
helpful Beam community metrics such as code velocity, reviewer load, and
new contributor's engagement.

So far, I found DevStats
<https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/12/dashboards?refresh=15m&orgId=1>, an open
source (github <https://github.com/cncf/devstats>) dashboarding tool used
by Kubernetes, seems to provide almost everything we need. For example,
they have dashboards for metrics such as:

   -

   Time to approve or merge
   <https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/44/pr-time-to-approve-and-merge?orgId=1>
   -

   PR Time to engagement
   <https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/14/pr-time-to-engagment?orgId=1>
   -

   New and Episodic PR contributors
   <https://prometheus.devstats.cncf.io/d/14/new-and-episodic-pr-contributors?orgId=1>
   -

   PR reviews by contributor
   <https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/46/pr-reviews-by-contributor?orgId=1>
   -

   Company statistics

It would be really cool if we can try it out for Beam. I don't have much
experience using open source projects. From what I understand: DevStats is
developed by CNCF <https://www.cncf.io/> and they manage their incubator
projects' dashboard. Since Beam is not part of the CNCF, in order to use
DevStats, we have to fork the project and maintain it ourselves.

1. What do you think about using DevStats for Beam? Do you know how it is
usually done?
2. If you are not sure about DevStats, do you know any other tool which
could help us track & visualize Beam metrics?

Thanks, Huygaa

Re: [DISCUSSION] Tracking & Visualizing various metrics of the Beam community

Posted by Mikhail Gryzykhin <mi...@google.com>.
Hi,

The UI looks cool and powerful. I'm not sure about using the devstats
service, since it only has github statistics as I can understand. I would
prefer to have single entry point for all of our dashboards: build stats,
eng metrics, tests, project health metrics, etc.

However, devstats uses grafana underneath. If we can utilize grafana for UI
and host all of our dashboards there, it would be great. If we can extend
devstats to show our project-specific metrics as well, that would be good.
If not, we can look into hosting grafana or utilizing their cloud solution
if they provide support for opensource.

Alternatively, we can look into utilizing Kibana, but I'm not clear if it
is best option for visualizing metrics. Grafana seem to be more oriented
towards our usecase.

--Mikhail

Have feedback <http://go/migryz-feedback>?

Posted by Huygaa Batsaikhan <ba...@google.com>.

Posted by Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com>.
These tables look very cool!

I certainly don't object to using tools made by another organization. The
only issue might be compatibility with our process.

From my understanding of the Kubernetes review process, they use Github's

Posted by Huygaa Batsaikhan <ba...@google.com>.