Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/15 09:02:08 UTC

maven repository

The jars in the incubator repository are official incubator releases.
Therefore distributing them from people.apache.org is against apache
policy. The move to distribute other forms of release from
www.apache.org/dist/ seems go have gone well. So I think we need to
consider the future of the maven repository.

It would be possible to create an incubator only repository in a
subdirectory www.apache.org/dist/incubator/maven, say. Or we could
just simplify everything by allowing incubator projects to use the
standard repository.Opinions?

Robert

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:

> One might argue that incubator releases go through a very
> thorough release screening process

So what?  The issue isn't code quality.  Incubator projects are not part of
the ASF, yet.  It is due to arguments like yours that some people have
proposed removing the Incubator from the ASF, and having it as a separate
entity.  We do not give the ASF imprimatur to projects still in the
Incubator.  If they were ready to be official ASF projects, they'd not still
be here.

> and there's no reason to make them so hard to get afterwards

Yes there is.  I wish we could make it a bit harder, actually, and force the
individual maven end user to explicitly accept that they are willing to use
an Incubator artifact.  As it is, the best we can do appears to use a
separate repository.

> certainly not from the point of view of the incubating projects who're
> trying to build community around their code.

We care about a growing developer community, and developers ought to be able
to handle the extra step of adding a new repository to Maven.

	--- Noel

Re: maven repository

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Craig L Russell wrote:

> On May 15, 2008, at 4:34 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/
>
> IIUC, there are two differences between an incubating project depositing
> its artifacts into a special incubating repository versus the standard:
>
> 1. The incubating repository is not mirrored to the world, so incubating
> artifacts don't pollute the maven-o-sphere.
>
> 2. The incubating repository needs to be added to the maven remote repo
> definition of each project that wants to depend on an incubating artifact.
>
> I think both of these have minor positive effects. So I'm really +0.3 on
> using a special incubating repository.

That's where opinions differ on whether this is a positive
effect.  One might argue that incubator releases go through
a very thorough release screening process, and there's no
reason to make them so hard to get afterwards; certainly
not from the point of view of the incubating projects who're
trying to build community around their code.

--Thilo

Re: maven repository

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 02/06/2008, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>  > Henri Yandell wrote:
>  >
>  >> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>  >> > I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after
>  > year
>  >> > after year.  We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact
>  >> > without explicit knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting
>  > the
>  >> > standard repository.
>  >
>  >> And as with every year I'll call "BS" :)
>  >
>  >> We do want people to use them, and we do want them on the standard
>  >> repository. They are releases.
>  >
>  > They are *Incubator* releases.  And we do care that people are aware of that
>  > status.  You are free to try to convince the Board and/or Membership to
>  > change the Incubator's mandate, but until then that is the issue.
>

> Where is that mandate defined? I see nothing in the original
>  resolution to imply this. To my understanding, treating Incubator
>  podlings differently from Apache subprojects is an invention of the
>  Incubator PMC.
>

>  > We want awareness and consent by the end-user, not "hinderance."  This is
>  > analogous to the multiverse repository (or even a PPA repository), vs main
>  > and security in Ubuntu-land.  A user must explicitly choose to allow
>  > artifacts found in repositories other than main and security.  There are
>  > disclaimers associated with the repositories.
>

> Not a great analogy though.
>
>  Main = central.
>
>  Project A is in central. It goes to Apache. It can no longer be in
>  central because it is no longer a trusted project until Apache bless
>  it. It's a nuts policy.

It's no longer the same project.

The original project can stay in central.

Once the project has been rebranded as ASF and passed through the
other changes required by the incubation process it can go back into
central as the new project.

>  Project B does not exist and is being created. Anywhere else, it goes
>  into central. At Apache, it has to sit it out in its own sandbox
>  waiting to be considered acceptable.

Which is one reason why the ASF brand is more trusted than some.

>  That's if it is created in the
>  Incubator (or a previously private project that is going public via
>  the Incubator), or if it is in Labs where any releases have to happen
>  outside of Apache as they can't happen inside, but not if it is a new
>  subproject to an existing Apache project.
>
>  We cut off our nose to spite our face.

I don't see it that way.

I see it as protecting the ASF name.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> > I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after
> year
>> > after year.  We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact
>> > without explicit knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting
> the
>> > standard repository.
>
>> And as with every year I'll call "BS" :)
>
>> We do want people to use them, and we do want them on the standard
>> repository. They are releases.
>
> They are *Incubator* releases.  And we do care that people are aware of that
> status.  You are free to try to convince the Board and/or Membership to
> change the Incubator's mandate, but until then that is the issue.

Where is that mandate defined? I see nothing in the original
resolution to imply this. To my understanding, treating Incubator
podlings differently from Apache subprojects is an invention of the
Incubator PMC.

> We want awareness and consent by the end-user, not "hinderance."  This is
> analogous to the multiverse repository (or even a PPA repository), vs main
> and security in Ubuntu-land.  A user must explicitly choose to allow
> artifacts found in repositories other than main and security.  There are
> disclaimers associated with the repositories.

Not a great analogy though.

Main = central.

Project A is in central. It goes to Apache. It can no longer be in
central because it is no longer a trusted project until Apache bless
it. It's a nuts policy.

Project B does not exist and is being created. Anywhere else, it goes
into central. At Apache, it has to sit it out in its own sandbox
waiting to be considered acceptable. That's if it is created in the

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James Carman wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > FWIW, I agree with James that we would use signing to be more
fine-grained,
> > but didn't want to go into that degree of detail in the earlier
discussion.
> I apologize for being so verbose.  This is probably not the correct
> forum to discuss those changes at that level of detail.

No need to apologize.  As I said, I agree with you.  I just didn't want to
delve into details when we don't even have support from Maven, yet.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> To Robert's comment of:
>
> "it has now been clearly established that we need to move
> therepository. we're now just asking: where?"
>
> I question that. We voted at the last time, and it was very clear
> there was no consensus to hinder incubator releases. Generally the
> difference was that those committing to Incubator projects didn't want
> to hinder, while those not committing did.

the incubator needs to comply with infrastructure rules: the maven
repository used by the incubator is in the wrong place

- robert

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> > 1. The incubating repository is not mirrored to the world, so incubating
>> > artifacts don't pollute the maven-o-sphere.
>
>> What's so bad about incubating artifacts that would "pollute" things?
>> We are perfectly happy distributing them on www.apache.org and all our
>> mirrors, so why not repo1.maven.org?
>
> I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after year
> after year.  We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact
> without explicit knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting the
> standard repository.

And as with every year I'll call "BS" :)

We do want people to use them, and we do want them on the standard
repository. They are releases.

To Robert's comment of:

"it has now been clearly established that we need to move
therepository. we're now just asking: where?"

I question that. We voted at the last time, and it was very clear
there was no consensus to hinder incubator releases. Generally the
difference was that those committing to Incubator projects didn't want
to hinder, while those not committing did.

If the nays get their way though - the solution is easy. Release your
incubating release outside the ASF and get it sync'd from there to the
central repository. There is nothing to stop that, the license allows
you to redistribute and there is a very strong history of
redistributors not having to rename the packages/products unless they
strongly fork.

While it's just one vote, you have my -1 to adding unnecessary crap to
releasing from the incubator.

Hen

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> End users don't read the POM.  They just use it.  So that is no solution at
> all.  The signing approach would be, IMO, a reasonable solution.  It would
> solve Les' issue -- users would simply have to agree to install the
> Incubator-signed artifact(s), and thereafter they'd be fine.

Users do use the code, though.  Putting the code in an "incubating"
package (for Java-based projects) does make them aware that they're
using an incubating library.

Re: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 6/3/08, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought this thread started with the idea : if maven would be able
> to validate signature, we could use this feature to inform someone
> that he is using incubator artefacts.
> I thought the idea that launched this thread was to have a unique key
> for the incubator that the user has as to trust if he want to use
> incubator artefacts.

Stated like that then the artifact would need to be encrypted
> My question was in that context.

AIUI maven decided against enforcing download verification. So
requires the maven team developing this feature first.

Robert

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gilles Scokart

Re: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/08, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> my conclusion was that meta-data signed by [keys in the] WoT would be good
> enough.
>
>> there's no need to distribute a master key
>
> +1
>
>> key management is tricky
>
> Not that tricky.  Let's not make as if this isn't done routinely elsewhere.

>> this is where the complexity lies. IIRC it was quite tough to come up
>> with a user friendly trust model that worked correctly.
>
> Not so much, seeing as how you just agreed with CLR:
>
>> For example, "trust all unsigned", "trust all signed", "trust all signed
> in
>> Apache WOT" might be reasonable policies declared by the user.
IMHO these are all reasonable policies. But users are used to thinking
in black and white. They want software just to work.

>> we don't actually require that the artifacts are signed: just
>> meta-data about the artifacts
>
> What do you think a signature is in the first place?  It is a digitally
> encrypted hash, i.e., meta-data.
The idea is that you sign finely grained domain specific meta-data.
For example, I would not be willing to sign a key unless I've met the
owner F2F but I would be willing to sign meta-data linking a key to an
incubator project.

Robert

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>
>> Gilles Scokart wrote:
>>
>>> Noel J. Bergman:

>> Incubator

>>>       --- Noel
>>
>>> Is that really possible?
>>
>> Very.
>
> Why is it not equally possible to validate against a short list of keys
> (e.g. infra PMC members) and their immediate trust.  This is what gpg is
> good at.

the short answer is not quite (trust models are too different). my
conclusion was that meta-data signed by a short list of keys in the
WoT would be good enough.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Why is it not equally possible to validate against a short list of keys
> (e.g. infra PMC members) and their immediate trust.  This is what gpg is
> good at.

First get the code built into Maven for actually checking the signatures and we're golden, with multiple options.

> As far as signing jars, microsoft authenticode etc, Noel and I planned to
> create such a service (although we've both been really busy in the past few
> months).  But it will always require that the artifacts are already signed
> by someone in the ASF's web-of-trust via pgp.

I've been wondering when you'd come back to life, but you may have been waiting for me.  I actually had time the past week.

	--- Noel

Re: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Gilles Scokart wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman:
>>> Implement that, and we're fine.  We will
>>> require Incubator artifacts to be signed by a designated key available
>>> the PMC, and once a user has acknowledged that they accept such
> Incubator
>>> signed artifacts, maven can do what it wants with them.
>>        --- Noel
>
>> Is that really possible?
>
> Very.

Why is it not equally possible to validate against a short list of keys
(e.g. infra PMC members) and their immediate trust.  This is what gpg is
good at.

>> I remember some discussion on the infra list about an ASF wide signature.
>> And the conclusion was always the same: how to secure a key that can be
>> used by so many people.  If I remember well, some solution were proposed,
>> but they were quiet heavy.  Do we have a solution for that?
>
> There are various things that can be done with respect to key management.
> Personally, I would not go with a single key.  But maven ought to maintain a
> trust file, with options to accept files that are signed with a trusted key,
> or signed by a key that is signed by a trusted key, etc.  The first thing
> that has to happen is for the Maven PMC to make security a priority.

As far as signing jars, microsoft authenticode etc, Noel and I planned to
create such a service (although we've both been really busy in the past few
months).  But it will always require that the artifacts are already signed
by someone in the ASF's web-of-trust via pgp.

Bill

RE: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/31 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:

> Implement that, and we're fine.  We will
> require Incubator artifacts to be signed by a designated key available to
> the PMC, and once a user has acknowledged that they accept such Incubator
> signed artifacts, maven can do what it wants with them.
>
>        --- Noel

Is that really possible?  I remember some discussion on the infra list

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I think this thread belongs on the Maven lists as it's is only
> tangential to the decision about the incubator repository.

Well, that's not entirely true.  It is rather key to a satisfactory
resolution, with the possible exception of some interim measure.

> The process for getting new features included is to write a proposal and
> put it on the wiki [1]

> [1] https://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/User+Proposals

Important project content is being maintained on non-ASF infrastructure?

> and then email the dev list to begin a discussion. There are some good
ideas here
> but they need to be flushed out by the Maven community as a whole.

Feel free.  Personally, I'll be pleasantly surprised if anything comes of
it, because no one in Maven-land seems to consider security seriously --- or
even at all.

	--- Noel

RE: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I think this thread belongs on the Maven lists as it's is only
tangential to the decision about the incubator repository.

The process for getting new features included is to write a proposal and
put it on the wiki [1] and then email the dev list to begin a

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On May 30, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Brett Porter
>> 2008/5/31 Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>:
>>> Can you elaborate more on what you mean here? I've been on the
>>> Maven PMC
>>> for over a year now and this is the first I've heard of it.
>>>
>>> We do support signing of artifacts and all the maven releases are
>>> signed. We obviously don't control all the other Apache projects
>>> in a
>>> way to enforce that they sign their artifacts.
>>
>> Noel is referring to enforcing checking signatures, not signing them.
>> I've had a proposal out there for some time which anyone is free to
>> comment on: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Repository
>> +Security
>>
>> There hasn't been a lot of traction behind it so far. Ease of use,
>> especially OOTB, is probably one of the main concerns.
>
> IMO this isn't really a maven issue: basic checks should be performed
> on all releases. i favour a private subversion repository with custom
> hooks for release publishing.

I think that maven basically changes the equation, since it is
responsible for automatically downloading artifacts, and this feature
is a huge usability win. I think that currently, usability trumps
security.

Since maven automatically downloads artifacts, it's technically
feasible for maven to verify the signatures of those artifacts and
allow for control by the user over whether or not to trust the
artifacts.

For example, "trust all unsigned", "trust all signed", "trust all
signed in Apache WOT" might be reasonable policies declared by the user.

Craig

> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 9:05 AM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> IMO this isn't really a maven issue: basic checks should be performed
>> on all releases. i favour a private subversion repository with custom
>> hooks for release publishing.
>
> I think it very much is a maven issue.  Maven is the tool that
> automatically downloads jar files from the public repository
> automagically (I love that by the way).  If there were a setting in
> maven that I could set that says "don't add anything to my local maven
> repository that isn't signed by someone that I trust", then I think we
> would be good here.  I don't know if I'd make it a required feature,
> though.  I think making it optional would be okay.  Maven should also
> ask you if you want to trust a signer if it hasn't seen it before
> (kind of like how webstart does).  Perhaps it could be a three-choice
> setting:
>
> 1.  Allow any jars from the central repository.
> 2.  Ask me before allowing jars from someone I haven't specifically
> trusted before.
> 3.  Don't allow any jars signed by people I do not trust.
>
> This, of course, would mean that we should probably set up a release
> signing committee so that we only use one signing key from the ASF
> (users shouldn't have to say that they trust jars signed by me, and
> Robert, and Brett, and Noel).  The members of the committee would be
> the only ones with write access to the maven rsync directory.  The
> requests could be set up in JIRA or something (hopefully there would
> be a committee member on each PMC).

I guess we would probably want to set up a signing key for each PMC.
Since saying that I approve of using releases from one podling doesn't
necessarily mean I approve of using releases from another podling.
For example, I may trust JSecurity if I am a long-time user of it, but
I don't trust Imperius, because I don't know what the heck it is.
Once a podling graduates, would we need to generate a new signing key
for it (without the "incubating")?

Re: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/31 Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>:
> Can you elaborate more on what you mean here? I've been on the Maven PMC
> for over a year now and this is the first I've heard of it.
>
> We do support signing of artifacts and all the maven releases are
> signed. We obviously don't control all the other Apache projects in a
> way to enforce that they sign their artifacts.

Noel is referring to enforcing checking signatures, not signing them.
I've had a proposal out there for some time which anyone is free to
comment on: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Repository+Security

There hasn't been a lot of traction behind it so far. Ease of use,
especially OOTB, is probably one of the main concerns.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

RE: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Brian E. Fox wrote:

> > I really don't care what cuts across the grain of Maven.  I do care
> > about the established principle that people must make a deliberate
> > decision to use Incubator artifacts.  If Maven would finally support
> > enforcing signing of artifacts, as they have been asked to do for
> > years, we could use an Incubator-specific signing key, forcing
> > people to approve the use of Incubator artifacts, regardless of
> > download location.

> Can you elaborate more on what you mean here? I've been on the
>  Maven PMC for over a year now and this is the first I've heard of it.

Ask some of the old(er)-timers on the PMC.  They have heard this from
multiple channels over a period of years, both because of the Incubator's
needs and the security aspect.  On the latter, there have been instances of
supposedly ASF released code being put into the repositories by effectively
rogue developers.  Responsible users of Maven don't use unsecured, unvetted,
public repositories; they manually vet and approve artifacts, and maintain
their own local repositories.

> We do support signing of artifacts and all the maven releases are
> signed.  We obviously don't control all the other Apache projects
> in a way to enforce that they sign their artifacts.

The ASF can enforce that policy for all published artifacts.  But Maven does
not require that artifacts be signed *AND* require that the user running the
maven build APPROVE the signer.  Implement that, and we're fine.  We will

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman:
>> > I really don't care what cuts across the grain of Maven.  I do care
> about
>> > the established principle that people must make a deliberate decision to
> use
>> > Incubator artifacts.  If Maven would finally support enforcing signing
> of
>> > artifacts, as they have been asked to do for years, we could use an
>> > Incubator-specific signing key, forcing people to approve the use of
>> > Incubator artifacts, regardless of download location.
>
>> You're asking for it to enforce the use of signed artifacts out of the
>> box, not enforce signing.
>
> Yes.  As noted in my reply to Brian E. Fox in his renamed thread "enforced
> signing of artifacts".

i've talked at length about this before (IIRC with brett and others)
and done quite a bit of thinking. it is a much more general issue than
just maven. one signature isn't good enough. it would be good for
maven to lead the way but IMO we need a comprehensive solution for all
apache releases.

- robert

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Wearing my Incubator PMC hat?  Possibly.  Please elaborate.
>>
>> I'd need to look into it (Brian wrote the enforcer so might offer his
>> thoughts), but I think we can add a rule that will fail at the start
>> of a build using such artifact(s). It can also display a message for
>> how to configure the project such that it will disable the message and
>> failure. It's per project, not per user. It's not transitive, so any
>> project that uses something that uses an incubating artifact would
>> need to do the same.
>
> Just some more considerations on this though. I would need to check
> the impact on build performance - I imagine it's pretty quick, but
> it's possibly an obnoxious thing to add for every build whether they
> care about incubated apache projects or not.

does seems a little extreme to me

IHMO printing the DISCLAIMER at the start of the build would be good enough

- robert

Re: maven repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/31 Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/31 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:
>>> I'm more than happy to throw an enforcer rule into the next Maven
>>> release that warns users if they are:
>>> - using the incubator repository
>>> - using an artifact from org.apache.* with version *-incubating.
>>>   and point them to a URL to learn more.
>>
>>> Will that do?
>>
>> Wearing my Incubator PMC hat?  Possibly.  Please elaborate.
>
> I'd need to look into it (Brian wrote the enforcer so might offer his
> thoughts), but I think we can add a rule that will fail at the start
> of a build using such artifact(s). It can also display a message for
> how to configure the project such that it will disable the message and
> failure. It's per project, not per user. It's not transitive, so any
> project that uses something that uses an incubating artifact would
> need to do the same.

Just some more considerations on this though. I would need to check
the impact on build performance - I imagine it's pretty quick, but
it's possibly an obnoxious thing to add for every build whether they
care about incubated apache projects or not.

>> Obviously, this won't solve the problem of people using older versions of
>> Maven, but I'm not sure if there is a good solution to that, is there?
>
> Not really.

That said, it could be added to the apache parent pom so hopefully all
the ASF projects can use it regardless of Maven version. That seems to
be less your concern though.

- Brett

Re: maven repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman:
> > I really don't care what cuts across the grain of Maven.  I do care
about
> > the established principle that people must make a deliberate decision to
use
> > Incubator artifacts.  If Maven would finally support enforcing signing
of
> > artifacts, as they have been asked to do for years, we could use an
> > Incubator-specific signing key, forcing people to approve the use of
> > Incubator artifacts, regardless of download location.

> You're asking for it to enforce the use of signed artifacts out of the
> box, not enforce signing.

Yes.  As noted in my reply to Brian E. Fox in his renamed thread "enforced
signing of artifacts".

> I still think that's some time off from happening

Well, you know how I feel about that ...

> I'm more than happy to throw an enforcer rule into the next Maven
> release that warns users if they are:
> - using the incubator repository
> - using an artifact from org.apache.* with version *-incubating.
>   and point them to a URL to learn more.

> Will that do?

Wearing my Incubator PMC hat?  Possibly.  Please elaborate.  Wearing my
security hat?  Not in the slightest, but I'm willing to focus on the
Incubator's issues here.

Obviously, this won't solve the problem of people using older versions of
Maven, but I'm not sure if there is a good solution to that, is there?

> > By the way, there has been some talk in Infrastructure about shutting
down
> > the ASF's repository entirely if Maven does not provide enforcement of
> > signed artifacts, due to security concerns.

> Can you point me to the message ID and list? I don't recall it.

Would have been on infra@ a time or few over the years.

	--- Noel

Re: maven repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/31 Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> it has now been clearly established that we need to move the
>> repository. we're now just asking: where?
>
> As I said, Brett Porter's proposal, made early on in the thread, seemed
> satisfactory.

That wasn't a proposal, it's how things are today.

My understanding is the following:
- releases are published to that repository, not to the rsync repository
- "incubating" is in the version, not in any other identifier (since
the version is the only thing attached to the release, the rest
continue after incubating).
- there is no automated rsync to the central repository
- the maven repository maintainers don't ban the upload of incubating
artifacts to the central repository.

> I really don't care what cuts across the grain of Maven.  I do care about
> the established principle that people must make a deliberate decision to use
> Incubator artifacts.  If Maven would finally support enforcing signing of
> artifacts, as they have been asked to do for years, we could use an
> Incubator-specific signing key, forcing people to approve the use of
> Incubator artifacts, regardless of download location.

You're asking for it to enforce the use of signed artifacts out of the
box, not enforce signing. I still think that's some time off from
happening, but hey - volunteers are always welcome.

I'm more than happy to throw an enforcer rule into the next Maven
release that warns users if they are:
- using the incubator repository
- using an artifact from org.apache.* with version *-incubating.
and point them to a URL to learn more.

Will that do?

> By the way, there has been some talk in Infrastructure about shutting down
> the ASF's repository entirely if Maven does not provide enforcement of
> signed artifacts, due to security concerns.

Can you point me to the message ID and list? I don't recall it.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Of course we could do that, and we may have to in order to appease our
community.  But we'd prefer not to for simplicity's sake.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Yeah - coming from the point of view of a project working on entering
the incubator, I'd rather have tough IP restrictions on entering the
incubator, but once I'm in the incubator have an environment that most
effectively promotes growth and adoption of the project.  Rather than
feeling like we are taking a step backwards in adoption by joining the
incubator.

Currently JSecurity has a community, is published to Maven, and does
regular releases.  If joining the incubator meant that we were no
longer approved to do releases to our community, that seems like a
hindrance to adoption.  If people can no longer download releases via
Maven without going through annoying steps that make it seem immature
and unreliable, then that's a hindrance to adoption.

I'd much rather have a strict process up front that get it IP
clearance and then make it easy for people to adopt, than to enter the
incubation process and have hindrances put in place.

Perhaps one idea is to not treat all projects or incubation proposals
the same.  Some projects could choose to enter the incubator now, have
access to Apache's infrastructure, etc. and gain IP clearance at some
later date where they can then do releases.  Other more established
projects could choose to front-load the IP clearance and have that
occur before they are even accepted.  In those cases, once they are
accepted, they can immediately continue to do releases and foster the
community growth.

Just throwing out my 2 cents...

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:32 PM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com> wrote:
>> My proposed solution:
>>
>> 1.  A podling could not issue a release until after IP issues have
>> been cleared by the IPMC.
>> 2.  Once a podling's release has been approved (which includes IP
>> approval), they would release to the central maven repository under
>> the group id org.apache.incubator.podlingname, enabling easy adoption
>> by end users.
>>
>> Having the word 'incubator' in the group id conforms to repo
>> conventions matching domain names thereby not surprising any
>> end-users, and also explicitly requires the developer editing the pom
>> or ivy config to visually recognize it is _not_ an ASF TLP.  Because
>> they explicitly manually include the word 'incubator', they know its
>> not an official ASF endorsed project.
>>

> Well, that doesn't solve the transitive dependency problem.  Suppose
> you use project X and project X uses a podling release.  You'll
> probably never know it (as pointed out earlier).  For most folks, they
> don't really care as long as it works (also pointed out earlier), but
> I can see where the ASF would want to make sure that the user
> acknowledges that they're know they're using a podling release (even
> if it's indirectly), since the ASF doesn't officially "endorse" the
> project (yet).

the only concern should be with the user of the library: the developer
who elects to depend up it to build their library or application. the
secondary distribution of open source libraries cannot be control and
attempting to do so will only introduce unnecessary friction for
minimal gain.

- robert

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
I think that that the term "Incubator" is well understood.  Almost
everyone in the software world understands that term.  For the very
few that might not, a quick dictionary or google search, or a visit to
incubator.apache.org would make that very clear.  That's good enough.
Unless there is an absolute legal obligation to actually force the
end-user to recognize that dependency, it is just adding noise.  Keep
It Super Simple.

> Also, then a non-incubator project uses the incubator project as a dependency.
> This hides the incubator dependency - no thank you!

There is nothing wrong with a non-incubator project using the
incubator project as a dependency, as long as the incubator project IP
has been cleared.  See Daniel Kulp's latest response in the parallel
thread related to this topic for why there are many good reasons why
incubator projects can or should be used in non-incubator projects.

A dependency on an incubator's artifact is a decision by the project's
PMC and should remain so  - they know their project better than anyone
and would know best to include that dependency or not.  End users of
that project rarely if ever care if a incubator dependency exists.

So if my two proposed conditions are met (IP clearance as a
stipulation), then I feel with comfortable certainty that no one will
care.

If you want to make it known that a project has transitive
dependencies, it would be far better to note that in the project's
README file.  Plus naming the maven group id with 'incubator' in it.
Plus the Apache 2.0 license part that states "software distributed
under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT
WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND".  That is more than enough due
diligence.  Developers don't want to be bothered by this stuff, and if
they do, its clearly documented and the CYA notion is covered.

Re: maven repository

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 30, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:

>> This seems logical provided the java package names also contain the
>> incubator keyword to avoid classpath conflicts if the jar gets
>> included twice.
>
> Which would, obviously, kill backwards compatibility for third party
> extensions when moving out of incubation.
>
> Is not nice if you've built your entire system to be extensible and
> modular.  Annoys users, too.  Which isn't good for building
> communities.

Yeah, I have to say, IMO, it's a crazy idea.

Regards,
Alan

Re: maven repository

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> This seems logical provided the java package names also contain the
> incubator keyword to avoid classpath conflicts if the jar gets
> included twice.

Which would, obviously, kill backwards compatibility for third party
extensions when moving out of incubation.

Is not nice if you've built your entire system to be extensible and
modular.  Annoys users, too.  Which isn't good for building communities.

/Janne, who's very much trying to have only a single binary break
with JSPWiki...

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Janne Jalkanen
<Ja...@ecyrd.com> wrote:
>> The package names have to change when a podling comes into the
>> incubator (to the org.apache namespace).  So, the "blow" has to happen
>> anyway.  I'm not suggesting we enforce this for existing podlings
>> necessarily, but future ones should probably do it.  Once the podling
>> graduates, the plugins would need to change the package name they use
>> because they are now based on an official ASF library.  Is
>> find/replace really that difficult?
>
> *Once* is doable.  We can do a lot of refactoring of old code during that
> anyway, clean away unused APIs, etc.
>
> *Twice* (that is, once from com.ecyrd.jspwiki to
> org.apache.incubator.jspwiki; then from org.apache.incubator.jspwiki to
> org.apache.jspwiki) is not so nice.
>
> Besides, us doing search-replace on other people's code and then
> redistributing it is very probably not ok anyway.  Our own code is trivial
> to modify; all the external code is not.

IMHO the effort of renaming is not worth the gain

- robert

Re: maven repository

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> The package names have to change when a podling comes into the
> incubator (to the org.apache namespace).  So, the "blow" has to happen
> anyway.  I'm not suggesting we enforce this for existing podlings
> necessarily, but future ones should probably do it.  Once the podling
> graduates, the plugins would need to change the package name they use
> because they are now based on an official ASF library.  Is
> find/replace really that difficult?

*Once* is doable.  We can do a lot of refactoring of old code during
that anyway, clean away unused APIs, etc.

*Twice* (that is, once from com.ecyrd.jspwiki to
org.apache.incubator.jspwiki; then from org.apache.incubator.jspwiki
to org.apache.jspwiki) is not so nice.

Besides, us doing search-replace on other people's code and then
redistributing it is very probably not ok anyway.  Our own code is
trivial to modify; all the external code is not.

/Janne

Re: maven repository

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 30, 2008, at 2:23 PM, James Carman wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Janne Jalkanen
> <Ja...@ecyrd.com> wrote:
>>> As an end user, I would _hate_ to have to change all of my code to
>>> reference a totally new package structure after the podling
>>> graduates.
>>> That's a major pain...
>>
>> With JSPWiki we have plenty of plugins and other extensions donated
>> by
>> people over the years.  Every binary break means that we obsolete
>> most of
>> this stuff (unless we can take the responsibility of recompiling
>> everything).  Every binary break means that we will have to answer
>> questions
>> from people running obsolete software because they can't afford the
>> cost of
>> the upgrade because they have money invested in the customizations.
>>
>> So it's not only the pain of upgrading the package definitions;
>> changing
>> packages issues a damaging blow to the ecosystem nurtured in the
>> incubator.
>> Sometimes the impact can be minimal; sometimes it could be rather
>> bad.
>
> The package names have to change when a podling comes into the
> incubator (to the org.apache namespace).  So, the "blow" has to happen
> anyway.  I'm not suggesting we enforce this for existing podlings
> necessarily, but future ones should probably do it.  Once the podling
> graduates, the plugins would need to change the package name they use
> because they are now based on an official ASF library.  Is
> find/replace really that difficult?

Yes, it is.  When your entire community and the communities that rely
on them have to do it, yes it is.  Remember, some podlings incubate
for years and so these roots can go way out.

Frankly, I am really, really, surprised that this is being entertained
at all.

Regards,
Alan

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I tend agree that yes it will be annoying but certainly you can't claim
you weren't informed. With modern IDE's refactoring isn't a huge issue
in my opinion.

I could go either way, but if we say the group id changes, then we need
to try to prevent classpath conflicts as Maven will see the new
group:artifact as a totally new thing (which actually seems to be the
intent and a good thing). It's not simply a case of updating your poms
to use the new group, you would have to ensure none of your transitive
dependencies are using the old group as well and exclude them.

The only other alternative is back to the original idea of denoting
incubator in the version, but this could be troublesome as well.

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Why is this necessary?

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
My proposed solution:

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
That's the way I feel as well.

The maven repo exists to make lives easier for people - its an easy
way to pick up dependencies if you need them - nothing more.  It is
primarily organized by domain names, so, if you have an
org.apache.incubator.podlingname group id, you're just following
convention expected by pretty much everyone.

This is a _good thing_ - it is expected behavior, makes things easy
for people, and is extremely clear that its not an ASF top level
project.  IMO, that is all that end-users really care about.  Isn't
that good enough?  I feel with comfortable certainty that the large
majority of people will be perfectly fine with that, and because it
does not require manual intervention, would probably prefer it.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Les,

please remember, not all incubator projects make it! i've personally been a mentor on a few projects that were shutdown
for various reasons.

- -- dims

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James Carman wrote:

> The bottom line is that incubator projects haven't (yet) gone through
> all the hoops necessary to become official ASF projects.  So, if they
> are published to the main repository, that is in a way saying that the
> ASF endorses the software.  Since it has not graduated from the
> incubator, the ASF doesn't yet endorse it.  This is the way I see it
> at least.

Close enough, I suppose.

This is not about IP Clearance or code quality.  The former is a
prerequisite for any release at all, the latter is the project's problem.
The Incubator's issue is ensuring that downstream users are aware of the
fact that the project is probational, as per the Incubator Disclaimer.  We
don't want that step to be bypassed merely by the choice of build tool.

As noted in other messages, were Maven to finally correct its artifact
handling flaws and enforce signing, all of this could be resolved.  In lieu
of that, Brett is proposing an interim solution.

	--- Noel

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Noel,

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:
> You would still end up with duplicate jars being drawn in. Maven
> fingerprints an artifact with groupId:artifactid:classifier:type to see
> if there are conflicts.

Of course, but you can make sure folks aren't using the podling
version of the code vs. the graduated if they're in different
packages.  We are using a similar strategy within Apache Commons to
avoid "jar hell" situations.

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
That would be my preference - it feels cleaner and still allows the
release to be in the central repository (which is my main concern -
our end-users would be quite upset if they couldn't get our releases
from the main repo anymore).  I prefer not to have 'incubating'
attached to the version.

Although a minor distinction, I prefer the group ids to be
org.apache.incubator.podlingname --> org.apache.podlingname

This just makes sense given that group ids are usually domain names.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM, James Carman

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On May 30, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

>> Wouldn't having "incubating" in the version achieve the same thing
> here?
>
> Not necessarily for users specifying ranges. Further, having the group
> be common for all incubating releases would make it easier for
> people to
> block in their repo manager (or with an enforcer rule).

The problem with that is when the project graduates and they remove
incubator from the groupId, there is a good potential to have two
versions of the same packages being pulled in.  The "incubator"
version and the "non-incubator" version.   If they use the same
groupId before/after graduation, that doesn't happen as the normal
maven dependency resolution applies.   With different groupIds, if a
developer updates one pom, but doesn't update another or similar, they
can easily get both versions pulled in.

Not a HUGE deal, but it is something to be aware of.

Given the choices of:
1) incubator in groupid and going to central
or
2) not going to central

I'd choose #2 any day.   That said, I'm still in favor of:
3) incubator in version number and going to central

Dan

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
>Maven artifacts can also specify a "classifier."  Perhaps the
>"incubating" part could be a classifier?

Only attached artifacts can have a classifier, not the main one, so
unfortunately this won't work. I think having a different groupId is the
most logical choice... something like org.apache.incubator.xxxx

The good part about this is that when the project graduates, the id will
change and this will prevent people from inadvertently getting a
pre-graduation artifact if they use ranges. (assuming we don't allow a
relocation to be specified from the old to the new group id)

--Brian

Re: maven repository

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> in terms of communication, the pom is the place to focus. AIUI maven
> users choose to use a library by adding a dependency with artifact and
> group IDs. an easy and effective way to ensure that users know that
> they are using an artifact from the incubator would be to ensure that
> the group or artifact ID includes this information. we could also ask
> that the pom (meta-data) for the project specifies 'Apache Software
> Foundation (Incubator)' rather than 'Apache Software Foundation' as
> the organisation.

Maven artifacts can also specify a "classifier."  Perhaps the
"incubating" part could be a classifier?

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.podling</groupId>
  <artifactId>podling</artifactId>
  <version>2.0</version>
  <classifier>incubating</classifier>
</dependency>

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after year
>> after year.

it has now been clearly established that we need to move the
repository. we're now just asking: where?

> Because it's an arbitrary restriction that IMHO hasn't been properly justified.

i'm not sure i'd put it so categorically

we can choose to ask incubating projects to publish their jars to a
separate repository but this is irrelevant for most users. maven
automatically downloads their releases from central repositories
hosted offshore. jar upload to these repositories is beyond the direct
control of apache or incubating projects.

asking podlings to use a separate repository is not going to be
effective for any well used product. for any product which isn't yet
well used, it creates a barrier to adoption.

>> We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact without explicit
>> knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting the standard repository.
>
> Replace "artifact" with "release" and "standard repository" with "the
> Internet" and you have a rationale for preventing incubating releases.
> I wouldn't agree with that, but at least that would be a clear and
> consistent argument.
>
> One of the key principles of open source is that you don't put
> arbitrary restrictions on where or how the code is distributed or
> used. Once we approve a release it should be up to the project to
> decide how they want to make it available to their users.

once an artifact has been released, we lose control over the
distribution. asking podlings to publish through a secondary

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after
year
> > after year.

> Because it's an arbitrary restriction that IMHO hasn't been properly
justified.

So in other words, we'll revisit this again everytime someone (relatively)
new comes along and wants to reopen the debate.

> > We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact without
explicit
> > knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting the standard
repository.

> Replace "artifact" with "release" and "standard repository" with "the
> Internet" and you have a rationale for preventing incubating releases.
> I wouldn't agree with that, but at least that would be a clear and
> consistent argument.

Well, more than a few people DID argue against having any Incubator releases
at all, but we agreed that so long as there was proper notice and
disclaimers, that there was a net benefit to allowing people to chose to use
an Incubator release, since it would help to build the developer community,
and thus make it easier for the project to eventually graduate.  So we are
not trying to prevent Incubator releases, we are trying to enforce that no
one uses them without making a deliberate decision to do so.

> One of the key principles of open source is that you don't put
> arbitrary restrictions on where or how the code is distributed
> or used.

So what?  We are not putting an arbitrary restriction on the code.  We are
putting a restriction on how an Incubator project may distribute its
artifacts.  Nothing we did, for example, had, or was intended to have, any
effect on Sun's ability to use Roller in production during Incubation.

> Once we approve a release it should be up to the project to
> decide how they want to make it available to their users.

No.

> For example, if SpamAssassin were to enter incubation today, would we
> prevent them from using CPAN to distribute their releases?

As a matter of fact, we had similar issues with Roller and Wicket.

	--- Noel

Re: maven repository

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after year
> after year.

Because it's an arbitrary restriction that IMHO hasn't been properly justified.

> We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact without explicit
> knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting the standard repository.

Replace "artifact" with "release" and "standard repository" with "the
Internet" and you have a rationale for preventing incubating releases.
I wouldn't agree with that, but at least that would be a clear and
consistent argument.

One of the key principles of open source is that you don't put
arbitrary restrictions on where or how the code is distributed or
used. Once we approve a release it should be up to the project to
decide how they want to make it available to their users.

For example, if SpamAssassin were to enter incubation today, would we
prevent them from using CPAN to distribute their releases?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: maven repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Craig L Russell wrote:
> > 1. The incubating repository is not mirrored to the world, so incubating
> > artifacts don't pollute the maven-o-sphere.

> What's so bad about incubating artifacts that would "pollute" things?
> We are perfectly happy distributing them on www.apache.org and all our
> mirrors, so why not repo1.maven.org?

I really do not know why we have to revisit this same topic year after year
after year.  We do not want people to be using any Incubator artifact
without explicit knowledge and action, so we do not want them polluting the
standard repository.

> What's the benefit? There's already the "incubating" label attached to
> the artifacts.

Yeah, like the average Maven user has a clue about dependencies, and ever
looks at them except when there is a failure.

I am OK Brett's proposal, but not with conflating Incubator artifacts with
official ASF artifacts.

	--- Noel

Re: maven repository

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: maven repository

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
In thinking of our project, JSecurity (which is currently being
proposed to become an Incubator project), I think its a bad idea to
limit incubator releases to a special repository.

We're a mature product and we're already publishing to the main repo -
very many of our end-users rely on this and expect our releases to
continue to be there.  If we're approved as an Incubator project, we
need this to continue to be the case, lest we upset our community.

We're going through the incubator process because it is mandated by
the ASF and we want the project to flourish in the ASF community, not
because we're a fledgling project that needs to see if it can survive.

In my opinion, that a project exists in the incubator is not an
indication that it is not stable or 'worthy' enough to be included in
the main Maven repository.  It is IMO a bad idea to think of incubator
artifacts as 'polluting' the repo-sphere.  Incubator projects should
be used and adopted and made available to everyone who wants to use
them in the easiest manner possible.  The purpose of the Incubator
after all is to try to garner adoption and see projects flourish.
Creating a separate repository that isn't readily available to the
world feels like it undermines this objective.

There is a sufficiently high barrier to entry to even become an
Incubator project in the first place, and incubator releases go
through a quality check and are voted on prior to a release.  This
should be sufficient enough to feel safe that the releases that are
approved are of decent enough quality to be available to the public at
large.

So, I would vote -1 in regards to creating a separate incubator Maven
repository.

Regards,

Les Hazlewood

Re: maven repository

Re: maven repository

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It would be possible to create an incubator only repository in a
>>> subdirectory www.apache.org/dist/incubator/maven, say. Or we could
>>> just simplify everything by allowing incubator projects to use the
>>> standard repository.Opinions?
>>
>> I'd put them in the standard repository....
>
> Same here - the artifacts of incubating projects must have
> "incubating" in their name, right?
> I think that's enough to differentiate them.

i think so

- robert

Re: maven repository

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be possible to create an incubator only repository in a
>> subdirectory www.apache.org/dist/incubator/maven, say. Or we could
>> just simplify everything by allowing incubator projects to use the
>> standard repository.Opinions?
>
> I'd put them in the standard repository....

Same here - the artifacts of incubating projects must have
"incubating" in their name, right?
I think that's enough to differentiate them.

-Bertrand

Re: maven repository

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,