Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com> on 2003/10/22 13:04:59 UTC

Re: [XSL-FO] Waht is default / what determines z-index of xsl-regions / static content?

Thanks Chris.

It looks like 'precedence' (when implemented) behaves to alter the
dimensions of the region boundaries.
What I was looking for is - when content overflows the region (and
overflow='visible' - which looks like FOPs default)
into another region - which region is given the higher z-index?

I can't find any mentions of this (but may have missed them) so my
current impression is that this is undefined / implementation dependent.

I'm checking because I want to know when I'm applying a fix for an
incorrect / missing feature (which other renderers may implement) - and
when I'm
looking for a feature that XSL-FO does not support.

I mentioned the FOP 'background-image' non-use as I need to dynamically
determine the position of  logo's etc (for HTML and / or PDF) in a CGI
script
and FOP doesn't support background-image positioning.
The page sizes will vary and there may be several logos + watermark
text, so I have several elements to layout and using overflow regions
looks like the natural method
(and creating an image of these for each invocation is more programming
and processing than I care to do if it can be avoided.)
(I'm also trying to implement border decorations - for which background
image is suitable.)

FOP (and XEP) currently places region-before content on top of region-body
FOP places region-after on top of region-before.
XEP places region-after under region-before and on top of region-before.

(Incidentally FOP interprets 'top' for region-after to be the start of
the region.
XEP interprets 'top' for region-after to be the top of the page area.)

What I want is to place non-region-body content behind region-body.

Chris Bowditch wrote:

>>From: Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com>
>>
>>What determines the relative z-index layering of content in
>>xsl-region-before, xsl-region-after, xsl-region-body ?
>>If content in these regions overlaps what determines which appears on
>>top and which gets overwritten?
>>

>region-before and region-after have a precedence property that defaults to
>false. Set it to true if you want region-before/after to be on-top of
>start/end in the corners.
>
>Unfortunately, the FOP compliance page indicates that this property has not
>been implemented.
>

>>Any information / pointers appreciated.
>>
>>(This question was triggered by trying to get underlaid Watermark
>>effects with images / text.
>>I'm using FOP-0.20.5 and so can't achieve the effect I want using
>>'background-image' in the page-master definition).
>>

>Why not? background-image is implemented on fo:region-* elements
>
>Chris

>Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends
>http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

>Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
>Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
>http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
>http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/9rHolB/TM

Datalucid Limited
8 Eileen Road
South Norwood
London SE25 5EJ
tel :0208-239-6810
mob: 0794-725-9760
email: mike.trotman@datalucid.com
UK Co. Reg:   	4383635
VAT Reg.:   	798 7531 60

Re: [XSL-FO] Waht is default / what determines z-index of xsl-regions / static content?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Glen Mazza wrote:
> implementation-dependent.  Currently, the
> fo:region-body has coded precedence in 1.0 I believe.

Well, if "precedence" means "static content is draw on
top of the body" then this is correct.

J.Pietschmann

Re: [XSL-FO] Waht is default / what determines z-index of xsl-regions / static content?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com> wrote:

> I can't find any mentions of this (but may have
> missed them) so my
> current impression is that this is undefined /
> implementation dependent.

I believe you're correct on this--the spec is vague on
this point, so you should take this issue as
implementation-dependent.  Currently, the
fo:region-body has coded precedence in 1.0 I believe.

Glen