Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by ro...@finntech.no on 2007/02/12 10:53:27 UTC

Java2DRenderer and font support

I have tried the fixed Java2DRenderer (PNG) in FOP 0.93, and get
messages that specific fonts ("SpecificFont,normal,400") cannot be
found, using "any,normal,400" instead. The specific fonts are embedded
for PDF and work fine with the PDF renderer.

I examined the release notes, which state

<quote>
The Java2DRenderer (and therefore the print and bitmap renderers) is now
offering the same quality as the PDF and PS renderers. Note: There can
still be little differences between PDF and Print/PNG/TIFF because the
latter uses a different font metrics source. (JM)
</quote>

However, I can't find anything about how to configure font metrics
sources for Bitmap (Java2DRenderer) rendering. Does anyone know howto?

Regards,

Roar Johansen
Consultant/Senior Developer Finntech AS

Re: Java2DRenderer and font support

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
roar.johansen@finntech.no wrote:

<snip/>

> <quote>
> The Java2DRenderer (and therefore the print and bitmap renderers) is now
> offering the same quality as the PDF and PS renderers. Note: There can
> still be little differences between PDF and Print/PNG/TIFF because the
> latter uses a different font metrics source. (JM)
> </quote>
>
> However, I can't find anything about how to configure font metrics
> sources for Bitmap (Java2DRenderer) rendering. Does anyone know howto?

The Java2DRenderer uses the Fonts available in the JVM not fonts in the
FOP Configuration file. Typically a JVM has all the fonts available in
the OS. On Windows this is roughly all the Font files in the
Windows\fonts directory.

Chris