Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> on 2001/06/12 19:51:55 UTC

Refactoring and Turbine usage

Hi,

I am still working on the refactoring so I just wanted to
give a heads up and discuss what to do about projects depending
on the HEAD of CVS.

I want to get the changes that I've made into CVS because
I've had them too long and want to get them somewhere safe.
I should have made a small branch while I was working but
of course I didn't think it would take as long as it is.

I plan for the changes to be 100% backward compatible but
they won't be when they first land in CVS which is why
I wanted to warn people using the CVS HEAD. I only
know of Scarab and Helm right now.

I cleaned up what I though needed cleaning and refactored
a lot of code. I am using the TDK as my test mechanism
but this isn't good enough.

What I'm hoping is that I will push the changes in, and
between GUMP and the Scarab and Helm developers I will
add adaptors where necessary to reach 100% backward
compatibility. I think this is necessary until we
decide on a direction for 2.2.

All I want to do with the refactoring is get us into
a position where the existing code is a little easier
to understand, and also put us in a position to
separate Torque, the services, and the connection pool
from Turbine proper.

When I check things in everything will still be in
one tree even though I can build the services separately.
I am hoping by doing this refactoring it will be
easier for more developers to jump in and take ownership
over some of the different pieces of turbine.

I want to get this code into CVS as soon as I can, but
it will honestly probably take me a few days to restore
full backward compatibility. There are only 4 things so
far that will break compatiblity and two of them are
properties changes but that will still cause problems
if people try to use CVS HEAD.

Jon and Dan, is it possible for you to start using
the released version? We can keep pushing in changes
into the 2.1 branch as long as they are backward
compatible.

I'm sure that the Helm people will want to use the revamped
services but I don't want to cause them any grief with
the changes that I would like to push into the repository.

If I could also get people to move back to the release than
I can put my changes into the repository even if they
are not 100% complete and not worry about harming
any projects dependent on Turbine.

Thoughts?

--

jvz.

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Refactoring and Turbine usage

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason, you have my full support WRT your services changes (thanks for
the note, though).  I am willing to test out and debug backwards
compatiblity issues, and most likely continue to use HEAD (especially
since Leonard is now a commiter!).

                               Thanks,
                                Daniel

Re: Refactoring and Turbine usage

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 6/12/01 2:03 PM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 6/12/01 10:51 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Jon and Dan, is it possible for you to start using
>> the released version? We can keep pushing in changes
>> into the 2.1 branch as long as they are backward
>> compatible.
>
> I will most likely just migrate Scarab to the latest stuff in CVS. It isn't
> that big of a deal for me at this point.
>
> -jon

Ok, cool :-)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/12/01 10:51 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jon and Dan, is it possible for you to start using
> the released version? We can keep pushing in changes
> into the 2.1 branch as long as they are backward
> compatible.

I will most likely just migrate Scarab to the latest stuff in CVS. It isn't
that big of a deal for me at this point.

-jon

--
"Open source is not available to commercial companies."
            -Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft