Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Cosimo P Leipold <co...@hypnotic.net> on 2001/06/05 16:24:54 UTC

How does jmeter spider?

Two folded question - it seems to me that if you want to stress test every
page on your site you have to manually enter each path to that file and
click add on the web testing section. Is there some way to spider? I'm
also at a loss as to the function of url sample... (Yes RTFM I've done)

Thanks
cosimo

Re: How does jmeter spider?

Posted by Peter Molettiere <pi...@santoshima.org>.
Cosimo P Leipold wrote:

> Two folded question - it seems to me that if you want to stress test every
> page on your site you have to manually enter each path to that file and
> click add on the web testing section. Is there some way to spider? I'm
> also at a loss as to the function of url sample... (Yes RTFM I've done)

Hey Cosimo,

Not sure how other people are handling this, but as far
as I can tell, jmeter doesn't spider. Instead, you have
to enter each URL as an URLSample under your
HTTPSamplerController.

I wasn't too happy with this approach for the site I'm
currently using jmeter to test, which has many many pages
and many many post forms (which I wanted to test too),
so I added some code to my application framework which
logs each request and all the form args they're called with
into a pair of mysql tables, and then I wrote a new
sample controller which reads the log tables and generates
the appropriate GET and POST Entry objects and hands them
off to the existing HTTPSampler for testing.

It works pretty well -- the next thing I'm currently
working on is a form value randomizer, so I can have
jmeter automatically generate random values to fill in
the various forms, so the POST's get exercised appropriately.

cheers,

Peter