Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/11/12 01:13:56 UTC

Re: @apache web pages

I'd also like to get a central forrest generator set up.  I had thought
daedalus was the proper
place to do that, but perhaps cvs.apache.org is.

I can hack forrest to provide this..  But What I need is:

1. A BSD spelunker with enough patience to get a copy of java 1.4
running or MAYBE a copy of 1.3.1.
Because Forrest doesn't work with 1.3.0
(http://www.freeroller.net/page/acoliver/20021109#apache_forrest_free_bsd_and)...
(I'm hoping it might work with 1.3.1)

I can't do the patch sets because my personal ambitious or lack of
knowledge as to what my future ambitions
might be, preclude me from agreeing to the NDA with sun necessary to
download the java sourcecode to patch.

2. crontab.  I did some calculations here
(http://www.freeroller.net/page/acoliver/20021109#apache_forrest_free_bsd_and)
and
the process should be fairly benign and light weight.

The advantage is that anyone using forrest could have their pages
generated from ONE central running copy of forrest.  We won't
have 60-300 ssh demons running remotely uploading pages opening up
security holes... and its just good clean infrastructure!

I'll demonstrate lack of impact on the server, and get blessings from
people on "infrastructure" etc before scheduling this of course.

Any volunteers for #1?  Any forresters willing to help me out spelunking
forrest?

-Andy

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> I'd also like to get a central forrest generator set up.
> I had thought  daedalus was the proper
> place to do that, but perhaps cvs.apache.org is.
>
> I can hack forrest to provide this..  But What I need is:

Steady on, Andy. I can understand you being excited by
the possibilities, but steady on.

We have been developing solutions to these very issues
on forrest-dev and we have mechanisms to cope with such
infrastructure realities. Remember, that Apache is not
the only place to have restricted facilities - many of
our own private and business websites do too, e.g. lack of
Java, heavy load, restricted crontab, ...

So we have had the use-case for a long time.

Forrest has mechanisms to deal with it. For example
forrestbot can draw content from remote CVS, generate website,
and publish the result onto another machine. The curliest
issue is the last stage. We can already do 'scp'. A future
method could be 'rsync put over ssh'.

In the meantime, please follow the method outlined at
my homepage cvs.apache.org/~crossley/publish.html

Andy, thanks for extending the scope of this thread - we
definitely do need to discuss these issues. However, please
familiarise with Forrest and build upon the solutions that
we have. We have already ruled out the dynamic generation on
current daedalus and icarus machines. Hence the evolution
of forrestbot.

--David

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > no statically generated.  Basically committer dirs are registered in a
> > config file and then the forrest goes and
> > generates them all.
> >
> > yes.  Only I envisioned it in cvs.
>
> Given this, why must Forrest run on icarus or daedalus?  For example, I
> could run it on the machine that does the Gump runs and upload the results.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Excellent idea, you founding Forrest member :-)
"Forrest Gump" does ring a bell.

--David

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> no statically generated.  Basically committer dirs are registered in a
>> config file and then the forrest goes and
>> generates them all.
>>
>> yes.  Only I envisioned it in cvs.
>

> Given this, why must Forrest run on icarus or daedalus?  For example, I
> could run it on the machine that does the Gump runs and upload the results.

My dear Sam, we have talked about this months ago, I'd be happy to see
it finally work.

Here is about the <deliver> tag
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=alexandria-dev&m=101663118301864&w=2

And this about us waiting for you ;-P
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=alexandria-dev&m=101678966312036&w=2

/Nicola Ken:/     Ok, now how do I get the POI site to get updated?
/Stefan Bodewig:/ As soon as Sam feels the stuff is ready for him
                   to give it a try.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> no statically generated.  Basically committer dirs are registered in
>> a config file and then the forrest goes and
>> generates them all.
>>
>> yes.  Only I envisioned it in cvs.
>

> Given this, why must Forrest run on icarus or daedalus?  For example,
> I could run it on the machine that does the Gump runs and upload the
> results.

Thats fine with me.  Do you have time to set this up?  What do you need
from me to help make this happen?

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Or a script can identify what are the users that have home pages and
> generates the directory page automatically. This way there is no need
> to modify a config file, new users are automatically added once they
> have their home pages setup.

heh, done in prototype.  see my earlier mail.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>
http://webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

 > The advantage is that anyone using forrest could have their pages
 > generated from ONE central running copy of forrest.  We won't have
 > 60-300 ssh demons running remotely uploading pages opening up
 > security holes... and its just good clean infrastructure!
 >
 > I'll demonstrate lack of impact on the server, and get blessings from
 >  people on "infrastructure" etc before scheduling this of course.
 >
 > Any volunteers for #1?  Any forresters willing to help me out
 > spelunking forrest?

Could be one of the things that runs on cocoondev.org (the machine) -
being equiped to run Java, and being proposed to be more officially
affiliated/endorsed by (at least) the Cocoon community. But then of
course it runs externally to daedalus, but having gone through this
before, I would not hope for the possibility to run
role-based/time-triggered/Java-based processes on daedalus/icarus.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Working JVMs (Re: @apache web pages)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:38:48PM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> >

>>Its balking on the Node.hadAttributes() method.  It has to be a
>>classpath thing...
>>

>Possibly Forrest was built on JDK 1.4?  I've occasionally had
>NoSuchMethodErrors when running 1.4-built code on 1.3.
>
>--Jeff

I don't think its getting that far.  I check it out... I run the build..
 It crokes.  BTW the primer lies...there is no "clean" target".. .  all
targets including dist just do the same thing

-Andy

Re: Working JVMs (Re: @apache web pages)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>Steven Noels wrote:
>

>>How about people having a homepage at daedalus?
>>

>i'd recommend that we settle on one place or the other,
>rather than having them scattered all about.  and, since
>all committers (except php :-( have access to cvs.apache.org,
>and not everyone has access to daedalus, i recommend that
>the former be the place.

ok.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Steven Noels wrote:
>
> > > updated nightly from everyone who has a public_html/index.html .
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > How about people having a homepage at daedalus?
>
> I made a .htaccess file in my public_html directory on icarus with
>
> Redirect /~ask/ http://www.apache.org/~ask/
>
> and a placeholder index.html file.

Any reason not to reverse that?

ie)

1) All committers encouraged to have a personal page on icarus.
2) Creation of community.apache.org domain name to point to icarus.
3) Those with current www pages [I'm one so can understand the pain of
having to move] can .htaccess over to community.apache.org.

?

Hen

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@perl.org>.
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Steven Noels wrote:

> > updated nightly from everyone who has a public_html/index.html .
>
> Cool!
>
> How about people having a homepage at daedalus?

I made a .htaccess file in my public_html directory on icarus with

Redirect /~ask/ http://www.apache.org/~ask/

and a placeholder index.html file.

  - ask

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> writes:

> One suggestion: Add a new DNS entry so that it's not:
>
> cvs.apache.org/~bob but
> people.apache.org/~bob

+1

That's what the Debian project uses as well.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> cvs also has a CNAME: icarus.
>
> Chuck

Yeah, but not quite the catchy homepagey name I was groping for though
Chuck :) It also sticks the sites to the machine, which would be bad.

Hen

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
cvs also has a CNAME: icarus.

Chuck

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: @apache web pages

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@hist.umn.edu>.
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> I'd also like to get a central forrest generator set up.  I had thought
> daedalus was the proper
> place to do that, but perhaps cvs.apache.org is.
>
> I can hack forrest to provide this..  But What I need is:
>
> 1. A BSD spelunker with enough patience to get a copy of java 1.4
> running or MAYBE a copy of 1.3.1.
> Because Forrest doesn't work with 1.3.0
> (http://www.freeroller.net/page/acoliver/20021109#apache_forrest_free_bsd_and)...
> (I'm hoping it might work with 1.3.1)

I'll come out of lurking and just mention that java doesn't work in BSD, i
think versions later than 4.5-STABLE.  There's a problem with running
java as a non-root user, and it requires a kernel patch that I couldn't
get working for the life of me. Any java process run as root will work
fine.

Just something to look out for.  Last I checked, there was a bug filed but
it hadn't been patched yet.  Let me know if anybody wants more info on
this and I'll dig up more info about the bug.

HTH,

Tony

Tony Collen -- tc@socsci.umn.edu
College of Liberal Arts   University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, West Bank