Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/11 16:05:33 UTC

JVM crashes and PDFBox 0.8.1

Hi,

I'm looking at some JVM crash issues that have been reported against
our digital asset management product that uses PDFBox to extract text,
metadata and thumbnail images from PDF documents. In all cases the
problem seems to be some underlying JVM or class library issue that
PDFBox triggers by calling standard Java APIs.

Having the entire JVM crash for such operations is clearly not
acceptable. Since we can't fix the underlying problems and don't want
to disable all PDF processing, I'm trying to come up with ways in
which PDFBox could work around these issues. See the issue tracker for
all the details.

Once I'm done with these issues, it would be nice to have a new PDFBox
0.8.1 release containing the workarounds and any other new fixes that
we come up with in trunk.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: JVM crashes and PDFBox 0.8.1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> which issue?

And https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-488

I also have a few other crash reports in our internal bug tracker at
Day Software. I'll be submitting them as new PDFBox issues as soon as
I've reviewed the problems in more detail.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
which issue?

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: JVM crashes and PDFBox 0.8.1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once I'm done with these issues, it would be nice to have a new PDFBox
> 0.8.1 release containing the workarounds and any other new fixes that
> we come up with in trunk.

I  added version 0.8.1 to the issue tracker.

BR,

Jukka Zitting