Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com> on 2011/07/26 04:05:45 UTC

[VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

I've created a release candidate for 0.20.204.0 that I would like to release.

It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~omalley/hadoop-0.20.204.0-rc0/

0.20.204.0 has many fixes including disk fail in place and the new rpm and deb packages. Fail in place allows the DataNode and TaskTracker to continue after a hard drive fails.

-- Owen

Re: Fwd: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 29/07/11 05:54, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> FYI - please try the bits and vote on common-dev@.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Owen O'Malley<ow...@hortonworks.com>
>> Date: July 25, 2011 7:05:45 PM PDT
>> To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
>> Subject: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0
>>
>> I've created a release candidate for 0.20.204.0 that I would like to release.
>>
>> It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~omalley/hadoop-0.20.204.0-rc0/
>>
>> 0.20.204.0 has many fixes including disk fail in place and the new rpm and deb packages. Fail in place allows the DataNode and TaskTracker to continue after a hard drive fails.
>>
>> -- Owen

I'd like to get HADOOP-7468 in, which deletes log4j.properties from the
JAR. Someone did a patch for it yesterday

Fwd: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
FYI - please try the bits and vote on common-dev@.

thanks,
Arun

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>
> Date: July 25, 2011 7:05:45 PM PDT
> To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> Subject: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0
>
> I've created a release candidate for 0.20.204.0 that I would like to release.
>
> It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~omalley/hadoop-0.20.204.0-rc0/
>
> 0.20.204.0 has many fixes including disk fail in place and the new rpm and deb packages. Fail in place allows the DataNode and TaskTracker to continue after a hard drive fails.
>
> -- Owen

RE: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.

Yes, toy are right @atm, the vote should be on general@.

- milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RPM packaging and Ganglia plugin for metrics v2 features committed to trunk before in branch-0.20-security.  There is no rule that declares the new feature landed in trunk needs to materialized into a release then back port is allowed to happen.

No one is suggesting that. We're saying features should be developed
on trunk first, before being backported to a release branch. Yes,
there is no current rule that says trunk needs to be a superset of
branch-0.20, but it would help us not get stuck on a given release for
too long.

> Those are the only two new minor features that were back ported from trunk to 0.20 security branch.

There are others, eg MR disk failure handling, MR security, etc. that
are not in trunk but are in branch-0.20-security.

>  No one is using branch-0.20-security as their new trunk.
> Hence, the 4 part version number should not apply.

If that's so then why use a 4 part version (0.20.204.0)?

Thanks,
Eli

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
RPM packaging and Ganglia plugin for metrics v2 features committed to trunk before in branch-0.20-security.  There is no rule that declares the new feature landed in trunk needs to materialized into a release then back port is allowed to happen.  Those are the only two new minor features that were back ported from trunk to 0.20 security branch.  No one is using branch-0.20-security as their new trunk.  Hence, the 4 part version number should not apply.

Majority of users are not affected by the utility features introduced in 0.20.204.  Change Log shows what is in this release.  0.20.204 is incremental improvement of existing 0.20.x release.

regards,
Eric

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Aug 3, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Koji Noguchi wrote:

> Can we add
> * HADOOP-6942  Ability for having user's classes take precedence over the
> system classes for tasks' classpath

Thanks Koji.

HADOOP-6942 is in the 'MRv1 exceptions' category since MRv2 doesn't have this issue at all.

> It's pretty bad in a sense that it's not on trunk but 0.20.204 and CDH3 both
> have this *using different parameters*.

This was originally part of the 0.20.203 release, but what/how Cloudera chooses to put in CDH3 is beyond the scope of this discussion... :)

Arun

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Can we add

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>> So, how are we doing with 0.20.204 content and trunk given the above
>> proposal? Very well, in fact. Matt, Suresh and I have done a detailed
>> analysis (separate email), please take a look.
>

> Here's the analysis of changes in 204 vs trunk.  We believe that ALL the
> changes in 204 are either already in trunk or do not need to be in trunk.
>  Here is the list of 204 items not already in trunk, and their
> categorization.
>
> Please, if anyone thinks we've missed something, bring it to my attention
> and if it isn't already in trunk we will get it into trunk as expeditiously
> as possible.
> Thanks,
> --Matt

Looks good to me Matt. Thanks for doing the analysis.  I think the
regression wrt trunk are from the original cut of the branch and don't
need to block the 204 release, ie the trunk first discussion is IMO an
orthogonal thread.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/11 20:23, Eli Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Allen Wittenauer<aw...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 2, 2011, at 4:28 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm getting confused about release roadmaps right now
>>
>> branch-20 is the new trunk, given that features keep popping up in it rather than bug fixes.
>
> When we voted to adopt 203.rc0 we also voted to adopt the new 4 part
> version scheme which was intended to allow feature development on the
> 203.x series. See http://search-hadoop.com/m/iegPf7aDvh1

This makes things clearer.

Now, if I were to propagate a change from trunk to the 0.20.20x branch
by committing it to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-security-204/
, that's going to get into .204? Yet my proposal to do what was
rejected, saying "hold for .205". Should someone create a .205 branch so
that we can backport all non-critical patches for the 20.20x line into
there, while the 0.20.204 becomes frozen for the release except for
absolutely critical patches?

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/11 21:33, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>
>>   However it is disappointing
>> to see some of the features being developed on branch-20-security,
>> rather being developed first on trunk and then ported to
>> branch-20-security.
>
> 	... which was exactly my point.

Yes, I think this is wrong

Every feature should go into trunk then be backported to the branch, so
that trunk is a proper superset of the branch

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

>  However it is disappointing
> to see some of the features being developed on branch-20-security,
> rather being developed first on trunk and then ported to
> branch-20-security.

	... which was exactly my point.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Re: Sustaining Releases (Was: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0)

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Per Arun's message below, I edited the "Sustaining Release" section of
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap
to incorporate these items.  Feedback welcome.
--Matt

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/11 11:00, Matt Foley wrote:
> Hi,
> Four critical patches have been applied to 0.20-security-204, and release
> candidate 0.20.204-rc1 is now ready for evaluation.
> The signed release is available at
> http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.204-rc1/
> A successful build and test under Jenkins may be examined at
> https://builds.apache.org/view/G-L/view/Hadoop/job/Hadoop-0.20.204-Build/24/

I'm getting confused about release roadmaps right now

Is there somewhere that lists the (proposed) timetable for the 0.20.204,
0.20.205, 0.22, 0.23 releases?

It sounds like any non-critical problem in 20.204rc0 is intended to go
into to the 0.20.205 release. Correct? If so is there a release manager
or can I go ahead and patch in the normal RTC process?

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi,
Four critical patches have been applied to 0.20-security-204, and release
candidate 0.20.204-rc1 is now ready for evaluation.
The signed release is available at
http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.204-rc1/
A successful build and test under Jenkins may be examined at
https://builds.apache.org/view/G-L/view/Hadoop/job/Hadoop-0.20.204-Build/24/

The four changes since rc0 are:

r1152887 | mattf | 2011-08-01 11:32:12 -0700 (Mon, 01 Aug 2011) | 1 line
HDFS-2218. Disable TestHdfsProxy.testHdfsProxyInterface in automated test
suite for 0.20-security-204 release.
r1152037 | gkesavan | 2011-07-28 23:39:42 +0000 (Thu, 28 Jul 2011) | 1 line
HADOOP-7356. Fix bin scripts to support dev build environment
r1150862 | ddas | 2011-07-25 19:32:59 +0000 (Mon, 25 Jul 2011) | 1 line
Merge -r 1150859:1150860 from branch-0.20-security onto
branch-0.20-security-204
r1150857 | ddas | 2011-07-25 19:28:14 +0000 (Mon, 25 Jul 2011) | 1 line
MAPREDUCE-2621. Merge -r 1150527:1150528 from branch-0.20-security onto
branch-0.20-security-204

Although Owen is the RM for this release, he requested assistance in
progressing the release while he is traveling.
Please resume the 0.20.204 release vote today, using this rc1 candidate.

Thank you,
--Matt

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Owen, for the quick and helpful response!

By removing those test cases marked as "@Ignored", there're still 3 failed
test cases for 0.20.203:

[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestMRWithDistributedCache FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestTrackerDistributedCacheManager
FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.hdfsproxy.TestHdfsProxy FAILED

and 3 failed, 1 unstable cases for 0.20.204:

[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestMRWithDistributedCache FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestTrackerDistributedCacheManager
FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerRestartWithCS FAILED
(timeout)
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestRackAwareTaskPlacement --> FAILED
twice, SUCCEED twice

Has anybody met with these case failures? Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Li Yu

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I've just run unit test of 0.20.204 using SUN jdk1.6.0_21, on a 64bit RHEL
machine, and find the following cases failed:

[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerRestart FAILED (timeout)
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerRestartWithLostTracker
FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerSafeMode FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestMRWithDistributedCache FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestTrackerDistributedCacheManager
FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestMiniMRMapRedDebugScript FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestRecoveryManager FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestTaskTrackerLocalization FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerRestartWithCS FAILED
(timeout)
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestRackAwareTaskPlacement FAILED

I run each failed test case for 4 times, the above 9 cases failed for each
round, while the last case succeeded twice and failed twice.

I also tested 0.20.203 rc1 with the same testing environment some time
earlier, and got almost the same result(with the failed cases attached
below)

[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerRestart FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerRestartWithLostTracker
FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestJobTrackerSafeMode FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestMRWithDistributedCache FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.filecache.TestTrackerDistributedCacheManager
FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestMiniMRMapRedDebugScript FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestRecoveryManager FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TestTaskTrackerLocalization FAILED
[junit] Test org.apache.hadoop.hdfsproxy.TestHdfsProxy FAILED

Could somebody have a look on these failed test cases? Or tell me if I set
anything wrong in my environment? Many thanks.

PS: I referred to http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions about
setting the testing environment.

--
Best Regards,
Li Yu

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Incidentally, has anyone tested on Java7.
>
> The Lucene team are unhappy:
> http://www.lucidimagination.**com/search/document/**
> 1a0d3986e48a9348/warning_**index_corruption_and_crashes_**
> in_apache_lucene_core_apache_**solr_with_java_7<http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/1a0d3986e48a9348/warning_index_corruption_and_crashes_in_apache_lucene_core_apache_solr_with_java_7>

I do not think this is blocker either.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Done. Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Allen,
 I think Giri already sent out an email for that. Below is the
response from him. There'll be a new rc candidate soon.

Hope that helps.

thanks
mahadev

===================================

==============================

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 29/07/11 12:01, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 29/07/11 03:13, Aaron T. Myers wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Arun C Murthy<ac...@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But, it doesn't really matter... do folks feel strongly we should
>>> restart
>>> the vote on general?
>>>

>> I don't think there's need to restart the vote. I only brought this up
>> because I've heard from a few people that they didn't know a release vote
>> was going on. Let's just send an email to general@ saying there's a vote
>> going on on common-dev@, and from now on be sure to send votes to
>> general@.
>> As Eli already said, it doesn't matter which it is, as long as people
>> know
>> where to look.
>

> I'd like to rm the log4j.properties file; I'll apply the patch for this
> to the branch and build and test locally. Yes: test.

I've committed the HADOOP-7468 patch to build.xml to stop
conf/log4.properties going into the JAR to trunk.

There's a separate patch for the 0.20.204 release, which I'd argue for
inclusion
  1. It doesn't impact the server code
  2. It breaks any app downstream that wants its own log4j. To be
precise, it causes inconsistent behaviour depending on the classpath
ordering.

This change isn't going to impact any of the hadoop scripts -including
client side ones- that have a the conf/ dir on the classpath.

-Steve

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0