Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/26 16:30:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Hi Devs,

This is the call for votes to release Apache Synapse-2.1.0.

Please review the signed artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~kasun/synapse/2.1-RC1/artifacts/

The m2 repository is available at:
http://people.apache.org/~kasun/synapse/2.1-RC1/m2_repo/

Revamped site for this release is available at:
http://people.apache.org/~kasun/synapse/2.1-RC1/site/

SVN Info:
revision is 1222784 on
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/synapse/branches/2.1

Here is my +1 to declaring the above dist as Synapse-2.1.0.

Kasun Indrasiri
Associate Technical Lead,
WSO2 Inc. - "Lean . Enterprise . Middleware" - http://www.wso2.com/
Blog : http://kasunpanorama.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Andreas Veithen
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 06:02, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Andreas Veithen <
> andreas.veithen@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> -1
> >>
> >> The Maven artifacts don't meet the requirements for publication to
> >> Maven Central (see [1] and in particular the link to [2]). In
> >> particular each artifact must be signed. Each artifact must also have
> >> an MD5 checksum (that is not explicitly mentioned in [2] because the
> >> maven-deploy-plugin normally takes care of this).
> >>
> >> I'm not even sure if releasing artifacts using the old
> >> m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository thing is still supported. What is sure is
> >> that the only documented way is via Nexus.
> >

> > Can you please explain how that's done? Should we follow the instructions
> > on http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html?
> >

> >> There is also a regression with respect to the project branding
> >> requirements. Apparently the change in r1051752 was never applied to
> >> the trunk and is missing in 2.1.0.
> >

> > No it is available in 2.1. Take a look at the links available on the Main
> > Menu of the site. It's not yet committed to the trunk. But we still
> haven't
> > merged the new documentation into the trunk. That will be done pretty
> soon.
>
> The change not only modifies the links, but also adds a disclaimer
> related to trademarks. It's not included in 2.1 and if you now replace
> the documentation on the trunk with the one from the 2.1 branch, it
> will be definitely lost. Obviously it is easy to add that again, but
> I'm pretty sure that this will not be the only change that is lost in
> the process.

I've added it to the new documentation (in the future we can include this
in the site footer too).

For the trunk, plan is to introduce a new documentation module rather than
replacing the existing one. I've been experimenting with this approach and
it seems to work fine. Just waiting for the 2.1 release work to come to an
end.

Thanks,
Hiranya

> I would strongly recommend that before continuing with the effort to
> release 2.1 the project sorts this out and establishes a clear
> branching strategy to stop that mess. Otherwise the 2.2/3.0 release
> will be even worse.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Hiranya
> >

> >> That seems to be a general problem
> >> in the Synapse project, namely that there is no effective strategy to
> >> manage the release branch and to ensure that all relevant changes are
> >> in the trunk. In Axis2/Rampart/Sandesha2 we have eradicated that
> >> problem by using a consistent (yet simple) strategy to manage the
> >> release/maintenance branches.
> >>
> >> Andreas
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
> >> [2]
> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Central+Sync+Requirements

> > --
> > Hiranya Jayathilaka
> > Associate Technical Lead;
> > WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
> > E-mail: hiranya@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491
> > Blog: http://techfeast-hiranya.blogspot.com

Hiranya Jayathilaka
Associate Technical Lead;
WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
I can see that Axis2 has disabled the source build at the root POM. We can
take the same approach in Synapse. Will implement that.

Thanks,
Hiranya

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>.
Apparently, mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true seems to fail with maven
2.2.1. I think we need to use maven 3.x to overcome that issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: HttpCore dependency for Synapse 2.1.0; was Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 12:53 +0530, Ruwan Linton wrote:
> > Kasun, also make sure to run the generated site through a link checker
> > too.
> >

> Assuming there will eventually be another RC, could you also please
> consider upgrading HttpCore dependency to the latest GA release (4.1.4)?

Yup. Will do. Thanks Oleg.

-Hiranya

Posted by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
<hi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Andreas Veithen <
> andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> The Maven artifacts don't meet the requirements for publication to
>> Maven Central (see [1] and in particular the link to [2]). In
>> particular each artifact must be signed. Each artifact must also have
>> an MD5 checksum (that is not explicitly mentioned in [2] because the
>> maven-deploy-plugin normally takes care of this).
>>
>> I'm not even sure if releasing artifacts using the old
>> m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository thing is still supported. What is sure is
>> that the only documented way is via Nexus.
>>

> Can you please explain how that's done? Should we follow the instructions
> on http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html?

I believe this is the right set of instructions. Kasun, shall we look into

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
-1

The Maven artifacts don't meet the requirements for publication to
Maven Central (see [1] and in particular the link to [2]). In
particular each artifact must be signed. Each artifact must also have
an MD5 checksum (that is not explicitly mentioned in [2] because the
maven-deploy-plugin normally takes care of this).

I'm not even sure if releasing artifacts using the old
m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository thing is still supported. What is sure is
that the only documented way is via Nexus.

There is also a regression with respect to the project branding
requirements. Apparently the change in r1051752 was never applied to
the trunk and is missing in 2.1.0. That seems to be a general problem

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
tar.gz binary seems to be fine and smoke tests run smoothly. I hope the
site links can be manually fixed, and with that assumption;

+1 for the release.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Actually the switch to Nexus has already been done:

But apparently this was after the 2.0.0 release.

Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse 2.1.0