Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de> on 2005/11/30 08:43:35 UTC

Resource comparison between Cocoon and Struts/JSP??

Hi,

We have a customer looking to build an architecture around Open Source
frameworks. He has asked us about the differences in needed resources (CPU,
Memory) when writing an application using Cocoon as compared to a Struts/JSP
solution. While I realize the answer is probably "that depends", there are
certain customers who just aren't interested in that type of answer :-(. And
this customer actually has to pay internal charges depending on the amount
of memory and CPU needed.

So maybe someone out there has actually done this type of comparison or can
point me to something?

Thanks

Matthew Langham

--

S&N AG
Competence Center Open Source

voice  +49 5251/1581-30
fax    +49 5251/1581-71
eMail  mlangham@s-und-n.de
Web    http://www.s-und-n.de

RE: Resource comparison between Cocoon and Struts/JSP??

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
Thanks Irv!

Freundliche Grüße / With kind regards

Matthew Langham

--

Web    http://www.s-und-n.de <http://www.s-und-n.de/>

  _____

Posted by Irv Salisbury <ir...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Fiol Bonnín <an...@gmail.com>.
> We have a customer looking to build an architecture around Open Source
> frameworks. He has asked us about the differences in needed resources (CPU,
> Memory) when writing an application using Cocoon as compared to a Struts/JSP
> solution. While I realize the answer is probably "that depends", there are
> certain customers who just aren't interested in that type of answer :-(. And
> this customer actually has to pay internal charges depending on the amount
> of memory and CPU needed.
>
> So maybe someone out there has actually done this type of comparison or can
> point me to something?

We have NOT done this type of comparison, but I would expect the following:

A Full-Cocoon "Hello World" would have a much larger memory footprint
than a Struts one, because Cocoon has lots of blocks that you would
not use for that.

However, once you have developed the app code and reduced the cocoon
build to your strict needs, you would probably see them converge.

About CPU consumption, that usually depends heavily on your
application and your optimizations (on both sides).

HTH,

--
Antonio

Re: Resource comparison between Cocoon and Struts/JSP??

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Matthew Langham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a customer looking to build an architecture around Open Source
> frameworks. He has asked us about the differences in needed resources (CPU,
> Memory) when writing an application using Cocoon as compared to a Struts/JSP
> solution. While I realize the answer is probably "that depends", there are
> certain customers who just aren't interested in that type of answer :-(. And
> this customer actually has to pay internal charges depending on the amount
> of memory and CPU needed.
>
> So maybe someone out there has actually done this type of comparison or can
> point me to something?

Sorry, I can't be of help, but I would like very much see the result of
this in a review that is suitable for our website.

Bye, Helma