Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Hashimoto, Mike" <Mi...@cis.canon.com> on 2001/11/30 01:05:31 UTC

XML Payload Performance

Hello All,

Problem: Shipping an XML string, ~300K in length.  When Apache Soap 2.2
receives, it takes about 35+ sec's before the actual method on the server
side gets dispatched!  There are many tags and the marshalling/unmarshalling
of the XML data is causing the extreme delay.  The server CPU is railed at
100% during this time.  Moreover, a network monitor was used to monitor the
packet and acknowledgements to verify the issue.

Questions:  We are using a .NET client and Apache Soap 2.2 server (currently
on Win2000 with Tomcat 3.2.3).  I've seen here (on the mailing list) that
there is no support for MIME mail attachments yet in .NET.  I know I could
opt for doing my own marshalling within the Soap envelope.

  Are there any other suitable options at this time?
  Anyone know the timeframe for .NET support of attachments?

I was also under the impression that LITERAL XML encoding was not yet
supported in .NET (i.e. XML string was the "lowest common denominator").

As an aside, also sent ~300K non-XML string data and it gets sent in < 1
sec.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards,
  mh