Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva <es...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/12 19:07:36 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.26 + JDK 6_05 - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space

Good Afternoon,

Who knows the problem of tomcat on the server.

Tomcat's war have 17 in my company
Memory (Initial memory pool: 512mb and Maximum memory pool: 1024mb)
Version:
     --> Tomcat 5.5.26
     --> JDK 6_05
Server:
     --> Gigabyte, Core 2 Duo and Memory 2 gb (motherboard has maximum of
memory is 2 gb)
Added:
     --> Isapi Redirector 1.2.14 on another server (IIS 5.0 and Win 2000)
Note:
     --> All programs are installed executable (EXE)

When I clicked generate PDF (Jasper) in my project, was wrong ... See below
pra

[ERROR] RequestExceptionHandler Processing of request failed with uncaught
exception: PermGen space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space

How resolved?

Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva
Handicapped Auditory = deaf
estevamota3@gmail.com / ehsilva@sfiec.org.br
Programmer Java and Tapestry
Brazil - Fortaleza / CE

RE: Tomcat 5.5.26 + JDK 6_05 - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva
> [mailto:estevamota3@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5.26 + JDK 6_05 -
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space
>
> Good Afternoon,
>
> Memory (Initial memory pool: 512mb and Maximum memory pool: 1024mb)
> Server:
>      --> Gigabyte, Core 2 Duo and Memory 2 gb (motherboard

If you only have 1 GB of real memory, you'll need to reduce the JVM heap size to avoid page thrashing - it's not pretty when it happens.

> [ERROR] RequestExceptionHandler Processing of request failed
> with uncaught exception: PermGen space
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space
>
> How resolved?

This is a common problem, so reading the FAQ:
   http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
is always a good idea, as would searching the archives:
   http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user

You may have a memory leak in your applications that's leaving class references lying around, preventing them from being discarded via garbage collection.  Alternatively, if you really are running out of PermGen space, you'll have to increase it, which of course takes away from the real memory available for the rest of the heap.

Your current platform would have to be considered a toy these days, since even my 5-year old laptop has 2 GB of memory on it.

 - Chuck