Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Eickvonder Bjoern <Ei...@inside-online.de> on 2005/11/22 13:49:37 UTC

Solution for Too Many Open Files Problem

Hi,

a while ago I posted on the users list, that I had problems with too
many open files exceptions due to a possible too large amount of
collections and indexes and the problem that xindice only closes file
descriptors on shutdown.
As in my case I have a lot of collections that are used heavily for a
some time but then are not used at all for days, I developed a
DescriptionManager, that (implemented as a singleton) closes open but
unused rafs after a configurable amount of time and imposes a maximum
limit of open files (if that is reached, threads will have to wait til
descriptors get closed), such that if configured correctly no too many
open files exception should occur any more.
For that reason I had to change the classes Paged and Database and had
to add my DescriptonManager. The patch for the first two as well as the
new class is included in the attachment zip.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Bjoern Eickvonder