Posted to users@ws.apache.org by "Yost, Steve" <sy...@constantcontact.com> on 2005/09/13 17:24:55 UTC

Problem running test web server

I'm trying to run the test web server using the provided jar file (i.e. I didn't build from source).

It starts fine but produces the following runtime error on the first client request:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/codec/binary/Base64
        at
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpc.<init>(XmlRpc.java:193)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcRequestProcessor.<init>(XmlRpcRequestProcessor.java:40)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcWorker.<init>(XmlRpcWorker.java:43)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer.createWorker(XmlRpcServer.java:180)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer.getWorker(XmlRpcServer.java:170)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer.execute(XmlRpcServer.java:136)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer.execute(XmlRpcServer.java:125)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.WebServer$Connection.run(WebServer.java:746)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.WebServer$Runner.run(WebServer.java:626)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

I've downloaded the jar file in which the missing class should be found and included it in my classpath. I've run jar -tvf on commons-codec-1.3.jar to verify that the class is indeed there.

Here's the batch file I use to run the server:
setenv CLASSPATH .:./commons-codec-1.3.jar:${CLASSPATH}:./xmlrpc-2.0.jar
echo $CLASSPATH
java org.apache.xmlrpc.WebServer

I've tried several ways of ordering the CLASSPATH items, but nothing fixes the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve Yost

Re: Problem running test web server

Posted by ce...@mmm.com.
Hi Steve,

I had a similar problem with the XMLRPC applet.  I didn't build the source
either.  If you look in the build.xml file which is in the XMLRPC-2.0
directory and search for copy-deps, you will find some get statements.
These get statements download several jar files which include
commons-codec-1.1.jar.  I downloaded them manually.  The
commons-codec-1.1.jar file is renamed to commons-codec-1.3.jar.  For the
applet I specified the jar files in the archive attribute of the applet
line in the html file that started the applet.  Since you are running a
server that won't be a requirement, although the server will need to be
able to find the jars.

Good luck
Cal

             "Yost, Steve"
             <syost@constantco
             ntact.com>                                                 To
                                       <xm...@ws.apache.org>
             09/13/2005 09:24                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Problem running test web server
             Please respond to