Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Russell <br...@closerware.com> on 2005/11/16 21:41:27 UTC

Message Resources from DB

I know this topic has come up before but.. Does anyone have a suggestion
on a method for pulling Message Resources from a DB, as well as making
sure a restart of the app isn't required when the message key/value is
updated in the db? Is there a recommended, working, solution out there
(i.e. OJB solution by James Mitchell, Commons-Resources, etc.)?

I tried to implement the solution found in “Jakarta Struts Cookbook”
Chapter 2 Section 7 “Accessing Message Resources from a Database”. As
you may know, the OJB Message Resources distribution by James Mitchell
requires an OJB jar to be available to a webapp attempting to use this
approach. However, I am unable to pin down exactly what version of OJB
is required to work with this solution. I have currently tried 0.9.4,
1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.1, 1.0.3, with invalid class or class not found errors
on any that I choose.

My current environment is as such:

Java: 1.5.0_05
Tomcat: 4.1.29
Mysql: 3.2.3.58
Struts: 1.2.7

If anyone has been able to implement this and can give me a recommended
solution, that would be great.

Thank you.

Brian Russell
www.closerware.com

RE: Message Resources from DB

Posted by Brian Russell <br...@closerware.com>.
Ah.. the man himself! I'm using MySql. I set up my database with the
tables from the scripts in the /sql directory. And of course did the
rest of the steps (i.e. updating struts-config, placing xml files in
/WEB-INF/classes dir, etc.)

Thanks!

Brian Russell
www.closerware.com