Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Ajay <aj...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/05 07:30:47 UTC

Clarifications on Apache Drill

Hello,

I am Ajay Garga, work for an ecommerce company. Currently we are looking at
building a Datawarehouse platform as described below:

DW as a Service

REST API

SQL On No SQL (Drill/Pig/Hive)

No SQL databases (One or more. May be RDBMS directly too)
    | (Bulk load)
My SQL Database

I wish to get a few clarifications on Apache Drill as follows:

1) Is Drill(latest stable release) Production ready?. Can we use Drill for
SQL on No SQL or do we need to mix them with Pig/Hive or any other for any
reason?
2) Can Drill SQL be used a query interface for Business Intelligence,
Analytics and Reporting
3) Is Drill supports only Hadoop, HBase and MongoDB currently? (Is there
RoadMap for other No SQL solutions)?. We may use Cassandra or CouchBase as
well.
4) Is Drill supports RDBMS too?. We can have a single interface to
drill/pull out data from multiple data sources?
5) Any recommendations(not limited to usage of Drill) for our specific
requirement described above.

Thanks
Ajay Garga

Re: Clarifications on Apache Drill

Posted by Tomer Shiran <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Ajay <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Ajay Garga, work for an ecommerce company. Currently we are looking at
> building a Datawarehouse platform as described below:
>
> DW as a Service
> REST API
> SQL On No SQL (Drill/Pig/Hive)
> No SQL databases (One or more. May be RDBMS directly too)
>     | (Bulk load)
> My SQL Database
>
> I wish to get a few clarifications on Apache Drill as follows:
>
> 1) Is Drill(latest stable release) Production ready?. Can we use Drill for
> SQL on No SQL or do we need to mix them with Pig/Hive or any other for any
> reason?

You can use Drill to provide a SQL layer on NoSQL databases or Hadoop.
Drill is still a young technology, though companies are now using it for
real business value, and I am not aware of an alternative distributed SQL
engine for NoSQL databases.

> 2) Can Drill SQL be used a query interface for Business Intelligence,
> Analytics and Reporting

Yes

> 3) Is Drill supports only Hadoop, HBase and MongoDB currently? (Is there
> RoadMap for other No SQL solutions)?. We may use Cassandra or CouchBase as
> well.

Cassandra and Couchbase are not supported yet. Yash Sharma pointed out on
the list about a week ago that he was interested in developing a Cassandra
plugin, so you may want to check with him.

> 4) Is Drill supports RDBMS too?. We can have a single interface to
> drill/pull out data from multiple data sources?

Not yet, but that's on the roadmap. If you would be interested in
contributing a JDBC storage plugin, we would be more than happy to guide
that. Note that Drill has a pluggable data source architecture that allows
you to build additional storage plugins to support more systems. A single
query can join data between different systems and processing can be pushed
down into the data source.