Posted to users@camel.apache.org by shaharyar <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/07 06:20:04 UTC

i am newbie to camel

hi folks
I am very new with camel. i want to parse an XML but got a lot of confusion
in URI and some other stuff.Any sample code would be more helpful for
parsing the XML.
Thanks

Re: i am newbie to camel

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
An easy way to achieve this is using
.setHeader("headername", xpath("//myelement"))
in your route. This way you can extract informations and add these as
headers to the camel message.
You can then call a bean and work with these headers.

You can also write your bean like
public class MyBean {
     public String createText(@Xpath("//myelement") myElement) {
         return myElement;
     }
}

The camel bean component allows to write a normal java class to process
your xml. Using annotations like above you can extract parts from the
message. Returning a String means you overwrite the message body with
this string.

You use the following in your route to call your bean:

.bean(new MyBean())

See:
http://camel.apache.org/bean-integration.html
http://camel.apache.org/xpath.html

The order example from the webinar could also be intersting as it
extracts data from xml and puts it is a mail body.
https://github.com/cschneider/camel-webinar/tree/master/examples/example-order
The example uses a velocity template to build the mail body which is an
alternative to using your own bean.

Christian

Am 10.01.2012 06:35, schrieb shaharyar:
> thanks alot chris for your kind help
> actually i just want to get values from that XML and nothing else.XML
> parsing is not an issue.The real issue was that i want to build a route
> which pick XML from a folder and then send it to processor and then
> processor after parsing it (mean getting values from the file) write it into
> a plain text file and place that file in another folder.
> Thanks again.

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: i am newbie to camel

Re: i am newbie to camel

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
My colleague Hadrian did a webinar about camel some time ago. The
example reads an xml file, parses it, does a choice using xpath and then
writes a file again. Should be quite what you try to achieve:

http://www.talend.com/webinar/archive/index.php
Look for Application Integration / Apache Camel Fundamentals Part 1

The complete source of the example is available from my github account:
https://github.com/cschneider/camel-webinar/tree/master/part1/camel-example2-java

You can just copy that and use it as a starting point.

What the example does not show so much is how parsing the xml works as
this is quite hidden in camel. If you can tell me what you want to do
with the parsed xml I can perhaps give you some more hints how to
achieve it.

Christian

Am 09.01.2012 07:00, schrieb shaharyar:
> thanks chris ..
> please send me some links for tutorials. Actually i want to read an XML from
> a source and want to parse from processor and after parsing i want to place
> it in another place(parsed XML)

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: i am newbie to camel

Posted by shaharyar <sh...@gmail.com>.
thanks chris ..

Re: i am newbie to camel

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi,

you need to provide a little more context. What are you trying to do and
what goes wrong?

If you simply search a way to start you should look at the examples in
the distribution and the tutorials.

Christian

Am 07.01.2012 06:20, schrieb shaharyar:
> hi folks
> I am very new with camel. i want to parse an XML but got a lot of confusion
> in URI and some other stuff.Any sample code would be more helpful for
> parsing the XML.
> Thanks

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de