Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ia...@blueyonder.co.uk on 2002/12/09 16:44:38 UTC

RE: Error 500 in Internet Explorer

Tomislav,

Error 500 is a Server error, for example if your page contains some bad Java in a scriptlet then the page won't compile and the server will return to you a server error. If you are seeing this it could be that the server is unable to compile your page or some such server related issue.

Are you getting this error when you try to hit a specific page that you have written? What exactly is the error? If you're not trying to access a page that you've written yourself, what page is it?

>From the error message you've given me, you're not getting much back from Internet Explorer to help you, I.E. hides error messages from users, but you want to look at the whole error message. In the advanced settings of Internet Explorer (Tools->Internet Options->Advanced) you should uncheck the Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages option. This will give you the full error that Tomcat is sending back to your browser and that will help you understand what is going on further. Hopefully this will tell you that you've misspelt something on your page and you can correct that and it will run fine.

I hope this helps.

Ian