Posted to corpora-dev@tika.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2020/07/28 06:58:11 UTC

PDFBox regression tests?

Hi,

is there any chance to run the PDFBox regression tests (2.0.20 vs. SNAPSHOT) on
our new box? Does anyone had the cycles to prepare something ready to start?

If not, is there anything I can do to help? I'm planning to cut a new PDFBox
release soon.

Cheers
Andreas

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 28.07.20 um 23:51 schrieb Tim Allison:
> Reports are here:
> https://corpora.tika.apache.org/base/reports/pdfbox-2.0.21-SNAPSHOT.tgz
>
> Looks like extraction improved slightly.  I found a bug at the Tika level
> that is creating a few more exceptions (will fix soon), but this is not a
> problem for PDFBox.
>
> I was able to turn back on our unit test that counted characters and
> non-unicode mapped characters.
>
> I'll look a bit tomorrow, but this looks good to me.
Do you some time to rerun those tests using the latest SNAPSHOT?

Andreas

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 29.07.20 um 17:33 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
> Am 28.07.20 um 23:51 schrieb Tim Allison:
>> Reports are here:
>> https://corpora.tika.apache.org/base/reports/pdfbox-2.0.21-SNAPSHOT.tgz
>>
>> Looks like extraction improved slightly.  I found a bug at the Tika level
>> that is creating a few more exceptions (will fix soon), but this is not a
>> problem for PDFBox.
> There are some new PDFBox relate3d exceptions. 3 of them are already in 2.0.21
> (the AES and the CodespaceRange issue). I'm investigating the others.
Those 3 issues are already in 2.0.20

The others are solved now. There was a problem with the ordering of offsets in
an object stream. According to the spec those shall be sorted, but they aren't,
see PDFBOX-4927 for details.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 12.08.20 um 23:21 schrieb Tim Allison:
> All,
>    Apologies for my delay...
>
> Reports are here:
> https://corpora.tika.apache.org/base/reports/pdfbox-2_0_21-20200810-reports.tgz
Thanks!

> I haven't had a chance to look at the reports yet. :(
I had a look at the new exceptions and both are already in 2.0.20. I can't see
any showstopper here.

Andreas

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 12.08.2020 um 23:21 schrieb Tim Allison:
> All,
>    Apologies for my delay...
>
> Reports are here:
> https://corpora.tika.apache.org/base/reports/pdfbox-2_0_21-20200810-reports.tgz
>
> I haven't had a chance to look at the reports yet. :(
>
> I tried to update the instructions for running the process on the vm.
> Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I need to make
> improvements.

Thanks, it looks good that there are no show stoppers, i.e. thumbs up
from me.

But the tika problem is still there, although less. It is gone for the
file I mentioned (or the file wasn't in the test), but not for others, e.g.

commoncrawl3/6V/6VTB5IUKXBFA3JZPJBUPVSRY7L56K6LE

commoncrawl3/5I/5I6STZEO5W25GPETYGLCDLIB6OKQXCIG

Tilman

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
All,

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
I got a bit closer. IMHO it happens here:

     private static void setNotNull(Property property, String value,
Metadata metadata) {
         if (metadata.get(property) == null && !
StringUtils.isEmpty(value)) {
             metadata.set(property, value);
         }
     }

if "value" is not empty but only spaces then the problem happens.

The PDF has a buggy XMP so you get no title from DublinCore but some
title from Basic. However this "some title" from Basic is just spaces
(which may or may not be a bug) and shouldn't be used. If this is
skipped then we have the old behavior.

Re: PDFBox regression tests?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi,