Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by David Richards <d_...@comcast.net> on 2004/10/22 23:52:44 UTC

New user issues on Windows

I grabbed the latest CVS contents yesterday and set out to build and install Axis and the sample calculator service under Apache 2.0.  These are the issues I ran into...

1) The .sln and .vcproj  files are apparently very out of date.  If no one is going to maintain them, just get rid of them.  In fact, it may be easier to just have the .dsw files anyway to avoid having to maintain parallel sets of workspace and project files.. I ended up just importing the .dsw files into VS .NET and all was good.

2) The "Axis C++ Windows Developers Guide" is similarly outdated.
      a) It talks about the AXIS_HOME environment variable (I discovered via the debugger that it's now AXISCPP_DEPLOY)
      b) The axiscpp.conf directives AXISLOGPATH and WSDDFILEPATH have been changed.  Fortunately these are listed in the template axiscpp.conf_win
      c) It doesn't talk about AxisTransport, Axis2Transport, or the AxisXMLParser projects and how they need to be deployed.  I successfully used the result of Axis2Transport and AxisXMLParserExpat.  It would be help ful to have some documentation of all the projects in the workspace and what they do.
      d) I assume section 4.4 is obsolete (using Xerces rather than Expat).

3) The Post Buld step od AxisServer still references the AXIS_HOME environment variable.

4) There is at least one (src/common/Packet.cpp) obsolete source file hanging around.  I found this because the VC7 project files still reference it.  It wasn't used in the VC6 project files, though the Packet.h file is.

5) There is a "handlers" directory in the "deploy" source tree.  Does this have a purpose in the actual deployed system?

Other than killing a bunch of time getting through some of the documentation inconsistencies, things went pretty well.  Now to see how well it all works...

Dave Richards

Re: New user issues on Windows

Posted by Roshan Weerasuriya <ro...@opensource.lk>.
hi Dave,

>5) There is a "handlers" directory in the "deploy" source tree.  Does
>this have a purpose in the actual deployed system?

This is used to include prewritten sample handler dlls. Currently there
are no sample handlers put in here.

But you can find 2 sample handers in the samples folder. They are for
users to have a look and get a idea.

Roshan

Posted by Roshan Weerasuriya <ro...@opensource.lk>.
hi Dave,

I think these "VC++ 7" project files are not upto date. I don't have
VC++ 7 with me to correct it. Any one who has can make them uptodate.

Roshan

Posted by Roshan Weerasuriya <ro...@opensource.lk>.
hi,

>Which vc projects are these? Basically I am using the vc projects at
the
> moment.

These are "VC++ 7" files. The correspondence in VC++7 to VC++ 6 is :
.sln/.vcproj and .dsw/.dsp.

Roshan

Posted by sanjaya singharage <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.