Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2006/12/01 09:59:52 UTC

Re: release requirements status

On 11/30/06, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...I'm not sure if we need to note anything about Jetty in LICENSE or
> NOTICE or not... it already uses the ASL 2.0 license, but does seem to
> contain other licenses within it....

How about creating a "legal" directory with copies of Jetty's (and
other) license files?

I see there are some in example/etc, maybe a top-level "legal" would be clearer?

This is how we do it in Cocoon, see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/legal/

-Bertrand

Re: release requirements status

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 12/1/06, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Ooops, sent a bit too early -- meant "wow, I was really wrong about
> this, good to know" and "cool, thanks for pointing it out" ;)...

So I was wrong about being wrong ;-)

Actually, in the case of Jetty, I think we should say something like

  The Jetty web server code distributed with this software was
developed by Mort Bay Consulting
  (http://www.mortbay.org), the original software is available from
their website.

In the NOTICE.txt, based on http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt

-Bertrand

Re: release requirements status

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Ooops, sent a bit too early -- meant "wow, I was really wrong about
this, good to know" and "cool, thanks for pointing it out" ;)

Yoav

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Wow, cool.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
Ahh, here's the pointer:

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On 12/1/06, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...I thought this was exactly what the NOTICE file is for?  Mention all
> the code from other projects we use, including ASL code.  LICENSE is
> just for our own (Solr) stuff...

Hmmm..you're right (it's Friday here, it's been a long week ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: release requirements status

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/1/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > ...I'm not sure if we need to note anything about Jetty in LICENSE or
> > NOTICE or not... it already uses the ASL 2.0 license, but does seem to
> > contain other licenses within it....
>
> How about creating a "legal" directory with copies of Jetty's (and
> other) license files?
>
> I see there are some in example/etc, maybe a top-level "legal" would be clearer?

AFAIK, best practice is currently a single NOTICE and LICENSE file at
the top with everything in it (or at a minimum pointers from the
LICENSE file to all other licenses).