Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/12/30 16:27:42 UTC

3.4 release plan

We've reached an important code milestone with the copyleft-free
build, as well as an important infrastructure migration milestone with
the successful website migration.  This is all great news, considering
that just 6 months ago some were telling us that both tasks were
impossible,  Now that we've done the impossible, the remaining work
should be easy in comparison ;-)

So now on to a 3.4 release, our first Apache release.  I've started a
wiki page to track the top-level tasks that we'll need to address
before we can have a release.  I've certainly missed some things, so
please feel free to enhance.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Plan

-Rob

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 12/30/2011 15:14, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Andrea Pescetti
> <pe...@openoffice.org>  wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Is this an issue with OOo 3.3?  The earlier 3.4 beta?  Or with the
>>> recent AOO 3.4 test builds?
>>

>> The only place where this is an issue is OpenOffice.org 3.3. I don't know
>> about OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta, but update notifications do not make much
>> sense in (unfrequent) beta releases anyway. The recent Apache OpenOffice dev
>> builds do not support notifications: the menu item is not there.
>>
>> By the way, the problem users experience is not related to code changes but
>> to infrastructure changes: the update notifications server is unreachable
>> since it was not migrated together with the other *.services.openoffice.org
>> services.
>>

> OK.  So are 3.3.0 users getting error messages today because that
> service is down?  Or is the problem only that pre-3.3.0 users are not
> getting update notifications telling them about the 3.3.0 release?

3.3.0 users get "Could not establish network connection to
update36.services.openoffice.org."

>> I usually answer users along the lines of "The update server is unavailable
>> due to migration; it's not important to restore it now since there would be
>> no update to announce anyway; it might be that things change when a stable
>> release is out" (I remember Martin Hollmichel or some other well-known guy
>> saying that in principle it would be possible to get that service running
>> again).
>>

> I'd argue that if 3.3.0 users are getting error messages today, then
> it might be a good idea to set up the update notification server now,
> even if it just tells 3.3.0 users that they have the latest official
> release.

+1 --/tj/

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2011, at 3:14 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM, TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>
> wrote:

> http://update36.services.openoffice.org>"

> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>

> it
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst?view=markup

> http://update38.services.openoffice.org>

> >> http://update38.services.**
> openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
> >> Update<
> http://update38.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>does
> not exist.
> >>
> >> /tj/
> >>

> > On all this...yes, I knew it was becasue the service was no longer
> > available, and since, for me anyway, it's a manual pull, well at least it
> > wasn't in your face all the time. But...my concern is what to do about it
> > *now* and for a future release. We have "downloads" but no "updates".
> >
> > We need to bring up the service, as *currently* sepc'd to fix current
> > versions, and possibly change the URL in code (pointing to another
> service)
> > for future releases.
> >
> > In addition to comments from  friends, this has been mentioned on the
> "old"
> > user list.
> >
> > Anyway, on we go. We all have a lot to review before 3.4 -- which
> hopefully
> > will be VERY soon!
>
> If we setup a page within www.openoffice.org/.... to respond as if there
> are no updates to earlier versions at
> update38.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>
> Then I'm sure we can
>
> (1) redirect requests to that page.
> (2) replace with an appropriate message when 3.4 is available.
>
> If someone creates the page ... then I'll work out the rest with Joe or
> Gavin.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Dave--

This may have been an ftp protocol so I don't know if a web page would
work. I DID try to actually find in the code WHERE this is referenced but
alas, this would take more effort than I'm capable of, I'm afraid. I'll
contact Juergen in a day or so, and see what he knows.

Take care...

- K

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> > by the way its animals are treated."
> >                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

If we setup a page within www.openoffice.org/.... to respond as if there are no updates to earlier versions at update38.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> We've reached an important code milestone with the copyleft-free
>> build, as well as an important infrastructure migration milestone with
>> the successful website migration.  This is all great news, considering
>> that just 6 months ago some were telling us that both tasks were
>> impossible,  Now that we've done the impossible, the remaining work
>> should be easy in comparison ;-)
>
> Difficult, but not impossible. :-D
>

>> So now on to a 3.4 release, our first Apache release.  I've started a
>> wiki page to track the top-level tasks that we'll need to address
>> before we can have a release.  I've certainly missed some things, so
>> please feel free to enhance.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Plan
>
> You've certainly missed the people who are already leading in many of these tasks ...
>
> We do have an unbuntu nightly build and work is proceeding on Mac and Windows ...
>
> We have a volunteer for Release Manager ....
>
> It's all in Mailing Lists ...

Feel free (you or any one else) to fill in any information you have.
Then the information will be consolidated in one place for the benefit
of those whose live's don't revolve around reading 100% of the posts
on the mailing list ;-)

-Rob

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by xia zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
I will take the 3.4 testing part

Re: 3.4 release plan

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 30/12/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> So now on to a 3.4 release, our first Apache release.  I've started a
> wiki page to track the top-level tasks that we'll need to address
> before we can have a release.  I've certainly missed some things, so
> please feel free to enhance.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Plan

By the way, the old OpenOffice.org 3.4 Release Plan
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease34
was still around and outdated. I added a couple notices pointing to the
new AOO 3.4 Release Plan and to the project blog.

Feel free to improve it and to find/update the other wiki pages that may
still be interpreted as (misleading!) evidence that development has stopped.

Regards,
   Andrea.