Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Gerard Toonstra <to...@uol.com.br> on 2004/11/24 18:50:11 UTC

Evaluation of Project for Proposal Stage.

Hello,

I've been working on a software Quality Support System over the
last 12 months, all designed in J2EE. There's a considerable
working code-base at the moment. Right now I feel the project is
getting at a particular size that makes it ready for others to contribute
and receive their opinions.

My consideration is to make a proposal for the Apache Incubator.

I'd like to talk to someone to see what work needs to be done to
get to the proposal stage and also to verify the compatibility of the
project with ASF. I have design / presentation material available
( non - technical ).

Is there anyone available who can help me out on this?

Regards,

Gerard

Re: Evaluation of Project for Proposal Stage.

Posted by Gerard Toonstra <to...@uol.com.br>.
Hi David,

Thanks for the below information, that helps already.

I did read the documents, but they all seem written from the point in
time where the project is trying to find a champion or submit the proposal.
I couldn't really find any information what a project status should be
before this stage, so I was in doubt. A short list could be helpful to
make this clear.

Regards,

Gerard

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Please review the documentation and procedures at
http://incubator.apache.org/ and then come back
to this mailing list with specific questions.
If parts of the documentation are not clear
then please tell us and we will try to remedy.

It sounds like you have not yet gathered a community
around your codebase. This is a requirement prior to
entering incubation at the ASF. You need to already
have a group of diverse people working with you.

You would need to start a project somewhere, e.g.
at your own website, or via codehaus.org or sf.net
or cocoondev.org, etc.

How to gather people initial people to join you
is your challenge. You could try discussing your
ideas on one of the general ASF mailing lists, e.g.
Java: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#General
Perhaps create some online documentation to describe
your project.

--David