Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/04/05 13:24:33 UTC

IMPORTANT: Board report second version.

HI.

I am starting a new thread where we can hopefully concentrate on making
a final board report.

Just to sum up, I have replaced the original report in the board agenda,
with
a dummy report. The original board report sits untouched in

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2015+Apr

Whatever the community finds consensus about should go in there (I will
only have very limited time to make edits, because I am already overloaded),
and tthe 12th (or maybe 22th, if the board meeting is postponed) I will
take
the content reformat it, and submit it for board approval.

For once I can sit back and relax, because I feel the report is a good
compromise,
made by many people.

As a note to the PMC, I will drop the <private>, unless the PMC ask me to
include
something.

Let us stop bashing each other, and get some work done !!!
rgds
jan I.

Re: IMPORTANT: Board report second version.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 04/05/2015 11:35 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Wow, it sounds so depressive, I would really want to sound it more
> optimistic as more matter of fact. I think for a report is way too
> emotional.
>
> Just list what is being done (or not), is it still on planning stage, and
> what it's being done to get it off planning stage into development or
> execution.

Thanks for your feedback.

Now that we have a few more days to mull this over, I hope many on this
list will take the opportunity to look at the changes suggested at:
http://markmail.org/message/vrvxuwxr6ugfgbs7

Meanwhile, as Jan says, let's get some work done! :)

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: IMPORTANT: Board report second version.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 04/06/2015 07:20 PM, schrieb jan i:
> As the quote above says "You can seek input from the PMC"; and I would like
> to hear comments which I can incorporate in the report.

as I don't see major changes compared to the previous report, +1 from me
- again.

Marcus

Re: IMPORTANT: Board report second version.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 6 April 2015 at 21:56, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 06/04/2015 jan i wrote:
>
>> I have just been made aware, that my understanding of chair role was
>> wrong.
>> The Chair has the responsibility to make the board report:
>>

> That is a technicality not worth talking about. In the end, it's important
> to understand what can be improved and improve it by still keeping faithful
> to the facts (and this is all I'm going to say about the many messages
> related to style and tone).
>
>  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2015+Apr
>>

> This is very good. Really. Not because it contains good words towards me
> (actually, I'll ask to remove that part, see below)! But because it makes
> the effort to consider all the possible audiences that will see this report.
>
> I fixed some typos at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?
> pageId=55152414&selectedPageVersions=19&selectedPageVersions=18
> (nothing to discuss: apart from obvious typos, I replaced "4.1.2 reached a
> beta state" with "comes closer", since there won't be a beta for a 4.1.x
> release; about FOSDEM 2016 I changed "will" to "may" but  simply to say
> that this is work in progress, nothing else).

"comes closer" can be seen as tomorrow, but you are also right about
"beta", so it is changed to "4.1.2 is ready for internal testing"
"may" changed to "want to".

>  As the quote above says "You can seek input from the PMC"; and I would
>> like
>> to hear comments which I can incorporate in the report.
>>

> Well, I'm not dead, so let's replace (it's about me after all, so I feel I
> have a say on this) the epitaph with something more sober like:
>   ---
> Andrea Pescetti resigned as Chair after 2 years in order to enable a
> "rotating" Chair role (i.e., a change every 1-2 years) for OpenOffice.
> Andrea remains active in the project. Jan Iversen was elected as new Chair
> and the transition was smooth.
>   ---

updated, but changed  to "Andrea remains an active PMC member". You are
more than just active in the project.

> Then: "A major issue for AOO is..." should be under Issues and not under
> "Activity" (probably a copy/paste problem).

No error, the board cannot do anything about it, therefore it is not a
board issue. I had to consult on this one, but "issues" are for things the
board should
take action on.

> Last: I suggest (but this is not crucial) to add a paragraph about support
> since many community members are active mainly in user support and that
> area needs to be monitored closely:
>   ---
> The support channels (users mailing list and official forums) are very
> active as usual, thanks to the work of dozens of volunteers.
>   ---

added

rgds
jan i

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 04/06/2015 10:20 AM, jan i wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry for top posting.
>
> I have just been made aware, that my understanding of chair role was wrong.
> The Chair has the responsibility to make the board report:
>
> "The report is mainly about the status of the project, together with any
> community and legal issues or other general impediments. If there are
> issues requiring board assistance, then make that apparent, separate from
> any general project news. You can seek input from your PMC, but it is
> mainly your report to the board. The chair does not report to the PMC- the
> chair reports to the board (i.e. ultimately to the ASF membership)."
>
> Therefore I have updated the report, based on the comments I have received
> so far, by making sure it still highlight our problems, but also what we do
> to counter them.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2015+Apr

This is better in tone generally. I suggest the following changes as
well --

under ## Activity --

"The level of commits on
trunk remain low, only a few simple fixes have been committed"

"Commits on trunk continue in accordance with current developer
interests and capability, but, overall, are lower than previous activity".

under ## Releases --
I would change --

"Even though the project remains committed to bring out version 4.1.2,
it is only progressing slowly."

"The project remains committed to bring out version 4.1.2,   but is
progressing slowly due to other challenges."...(next sentence OK.) (last
sentence)
"The slowness is due to focus on other challenges
(like electing a new chair) and to lack of a release manager."

My feeling is that we will likely have enough to launch a next release
regardless of new developers at this point. We have yet to determine
what we want to fix and can fix first. We have at least 8 new languages
that appear ready to launch IMO.

Ok, enough from me on this.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 05 Apr 2015, at 07:24, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> HI.
>
> I am starting a new thread where we can hopefully concentrate on making
> a final board report.

Thanks.

> Just to sum up, I have replaced the original report in the board agenda,
> with
> a dummy report. The original board report sits untouched in
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2015+Apr
>
> Whatever the community finds consensus about should go in there (I will
> only have very limited time to make edits, because I am already overloaded),
> and tthe 12th (or maybe 22th, if the board meeting is postponed) I will
> take
> the content reformat it, and submit it for board approval.
>
> For once I can sit back and relax, because I feel the report is a good
> compromise,
> made by many people.

"relax"? :-)

> As a note to the PMC, I will drop the <private>, unless the PMC ask me to
> include
> something.
>
> Let us stop bashing each other, and get some work done !!!
> rgds
> jan I.

-louis