Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhodri Bowden <rh...@btinternet.com> on 2006/09/07 18:17:34 UTC

Using Tomcat with JSPs on Mac OS X

Hello.

I've recently installed Tomcat 5.0.25 on my Mac OS X (10.4), and have
used it successfully with servlets (using Java 1.5).
I am currently trying to run a simple JSP example, but get the
following error message:

No Java compiler was found to compile the generated source for the JSP.
This can usually be solved by copying manually $JAVA_HOME/lib/
tools.jar from the JDK
to the common/lib directory of the Tomcat server, followed by a
Tomcat restart.

Upon searching the web (and my OS) it appears that OS X does not
include a tools.jar file, as all classes are in the classes.jar file.
I have tried commenting out the references to the tools.jar from the
catalina.xml file and the setclasspath.sh file, and have even tried
renaming a copy of the classes file to tools.jar, and putting it in
the common/lib directory - all to no avail.

Is there a workaround for this issue? (Incidentally, I found no
references to OS X or tools.jar on the Apache site).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rhodri

Re: Using Tomcat with JSPs on Mac OS X

Posted by Rhodri Bowden <rh...@btinternet.com>.
Using  Tomcat version 5.5 has fixed the problem!
Thanks to all.

Rhodri

Posted by Edoardo Panfili <ed...@aspix.it>.

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Rhodri,

While this does specifically address your question, you might try
downloading our software, Qilan.  Qilan is designed for OS X.  Our
installer includes  Tomcat (v5.5.7) and does all the configuration.
Although we would like for you to try out Qilan, it is not necessary
for you to run Tomcat with your own webapps.

The download can be obtained at http://cgs.qilan.com:8080/qilan/
Qilanv3Download

Stephen Caine
CommonGround Softworks, Inc.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Rhodri Bowden [mailto:rhodri.bowden@btinternet.com]
> Subject: Using Tomcat with JSPs on Mac OS X
>
> I am currently trying to run a simple JSP example, but get the
> following error message:
>
> No Java compiler was found to compile the generated source
> for the JSP.

The Tomcat 5.0.x series requires a JDK, not just a JRE, since the JDK
includes a Java language compiler, whereas the JRE does not.  The 5.5.x
versions of Tomcat does not require a JDK, since the 5.5.x downloads
include a compiler.  You should be able to use a tools.jar from any JDK
download compatible with your JRE (even a non-Mac OS version), since the
compiler code is pure Java.  Go here to get one:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Or, as another poster suggested, switch to Tomcat 5.5.x.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.