Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Bender, James" <Ja...@53.com> on 2003/10/03 16:19:16 UTC

any known issues with WAS 4.0?

Hi,

I am new to Struts and installed Struts-example, Struts-blank etc from the
stable 1.1 release at jakarta.apache.org/struts.

None of these work on my WAS 4.0.  I get all sorts of errors and I dug
through news groups applying patches that never worked all of yesterday
trying to get one of them to work.

Then, I installed the struts-stub (struts 1.0) example from the tutorials on
the site and that one deployed perfectly.  Does Struts 1.1 just not work on
WAS 4.0?  On struts-blank I get

Error 500:
through the web -- no error context provided on the line
index.jsp::<logic:redirect forward="welcome"/>

The activity log reports:

IBM 	WebSphere   AEs 4.0.1 a0131.07 #com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebGroup

327cd30d 3072 2kws100900202/Default Server Servlet Error: {0}: {1}
%com.ibm.ejs.resources.seriousMessages

	java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:521)
	at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:436)
	at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:396)
	at
org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.RedirectTag.doEndTag(RedirectTag.java:294)
	at index_jsp_4._jspService(index_jsp_4.java:95)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:139)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:286)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:415)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:544)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager
.java:827)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycl
eServlet.java:159)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServle
t.java:286)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycle
Servlet.java:106)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:47
2)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletMan
ager.java:1012)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManag
er.java:913)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(W
ebAppRequestDispatcher.java:499)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequest
Dispatcher.java:278)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestD
ispatcher.java:105)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.SimpleFileServlet.doGet(SimpleFileServlet.java
:198)
[...]
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:67)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.
java:123)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedIn
vocation.java:67)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequ
estProcessor.java:122)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener
.java:315)
	at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.ja
va:60)
	at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:313)
	at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:242)
	at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:122)

Anyone's help would be really appreciated!  Thanks!,

James Bender
B2E Web Development Group
Fifth Third Bancorp
Phone: (513)534-3603
  email: james.bender@53.com
    Fax: (513)534-8448
     MD: 1090W1

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Re: any known issues with WAS 4.0?

Posted by Doug <um...@myrealbox.com>.
Bender, James wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Struts and installed Struts-example, Struts-blank etc from the
> stable 1.1 release at jakarta.apache.org/struts.
>
> None of these work on my WAS 4.0.  I get all sorts of errors and I dug
> through news groups applying patches that never worked all of yesterday
> trying to get one of them to work.
>
> Then, I installed the struts-stub (struts 1.0) example from the tutorials on
> the site and that one deployed perfectly.  Does Struts 1.1 just not work on
> WAS 4.0?  On struts-blank I get
>
> Error 500:
> through the web -- no error context provided on the line
> index.jsp::<logic:redirect forward="welcome"/>

There are several jar files you need.  struts.jar is one of them, but
there are many commons- jars as well.  Also, for Struts 1.1 apps to
work, you need some Xerces jars.  Namely, xmlParserAPIs.jar and
xercesImpl.jar.  We're using them from the latest Xerces (2.5) on WAS
5.0, but any recent Xerces should work.

It definitely seems that whatever XML parser WAS has installed isn't
sufficient for Struts 1.1.  In WAS 5.0, it does seem sufficient for
Struts 1.0, though, so that could explain what you're seeing.

Finally, you should be able to restart your web-app or app server and
watch the stdout logs for Struts' startup messages.  With your "detail"
and "debug" parameters set the way your web.xml shows, you should get
plenty of logging messages to give you some ideas what is failing on
startup.

Doug