Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net> on 2017/11/08 02:36:12 UTC

[VOTE] Release httpd 2.5.0-alpha

Hi, all;

   Please find the proposed 2.5.0-alpha release tarballs and signatures
at the following location. This release candidate was tagged from trunk
as of r1814469:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpd/

I'd like to call a vote to release this alpha candidate. Please do note
- this is my first attempt at cutting a release and mistakes are likely.
Therefore, I'll let the vote run at least 10 days (possibly more as I
will be traveling to Dublin next week) and will greatly appreciate any
additional scrutiny the release tarball can be given.

Some notes to share after having executed the process for the first time:

* I'm not 100% sure on the proper syntax for an alpha candidate with the
release.sh[1] script. I used "./release.sh --tag 2.5.0-alpha alpha
httpd-2.5 2.5.0 'druggeri@primary.net". This seems to have produced
desired results.

* I created two scripts[2] to automate the tagging of SVN and minor file
modifications associated with a release as well as the push of the
tarballs/signatures to the repo mirror. Unfortunately, I lack the karma
to commit to site/trunk. How do I obtain this karma?

* I'd like to make some updates to the documentation[3] about how to
produce releases to point out the existence of the new scripts and make
the process more clear. Same note about karma to site/ applies.

* The documentation mentioned to AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN to 0 for the
tagged release. I assume this still holds true for an alpha release.

* Blockers for automation really only seem to live around credential
management (svn password and keyring passphrase) and the conducting of
the vote itself over email. Kudos to everyone involved for putting
together the scripting that already exists!

* I'd like to create yet another script that does a pre-flight check for
a machine to ensure that the host it is run on has the dependencies all
of the above scripts need. Thing is, other than java for the docs build
and gpg... I'm not sure what those other things may be (or even if there
are any). Pointers welcome.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools/release.sh

[2] http://people.apache.org/~druggeri/scripts/

[3] http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

P.S.

I'll be in Dublin next week if anyone would like to catch up!

--
Daniel Ruggeri

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by Jacob Perkins <ja...@cpanel.net>.
Morning,

As a FYI on this, we got it built under our platforms and had no immediate, glaring issues. We didn’t do our full fledged tests as we have to do a lot more work to support our 2.5 version of templates and such.

I hope this helps!

—
Jacob Perkins
Product Owner
cPanel Inc.

jacob.perkins@cpanel.net <ma...@cpanel.net>
Office:  713-529-0800 x 4046
Cell:  713-560-8655

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Just to clarify one aspect you asked about;

is also http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/ as you can see from the contents
of that URL (this is automatic, as is www.apache.org/dist/httpd from the
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/httpd).

> * I created two scripts[2] to automate the tagging of SVN and minor file
> modifications associated with a release as well as the push of the
> tarballs/signatures to the repo mirror. Unfortunately, I lack the karma
> to commit to site/trunk. How do I obtain this karma?

So svn cp'ing the files from /repos/dist/dev/httpd to release/httpd causes
mirrors to sync once a vote passes. We don't mirror the /dev/dist/ contents.

In terms of updating the site after a vote passes, you should have that
karma as a member of httpd-pmc, so not sure what's going on there.
Perhaps open an infra ticket?

> * The documentation mentioned to AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN to 0 for the
> tagged release. I assume this still holds true for an alpha release.

Yes

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Nov 25, 2017 09:13, "Daniel Ruggeri" <dr...@apache.org> wrote:

As a side note, I'm experimenting with ways to capture build and test
output as well as relevant system info related to a tested version of
httpd. Here's the current format I am using in YML (can be seen here for
this build: http://people.apache.org/~druggeri/tmp/latest_sources.yml)
httpd:
  vote:
  version_info:
  configure:
  build:
    result:
    log:
  test:
    result:
    log:
system:
  kernel:
    name:
    release:
    version:
    machine:
  libraries:
    libxyz:

Feedback on anything else I should be capturing is welcome. This is the
only surviving artifact of the build and test since it's all done in
ephemeral docker containers.

Thanks for leaving this open a couple more days. I'll pull a parallel
package and diff my expectations against the tarball.  Will also have an
initial vote on the resulting build by Wed.

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <dr...@apache.org>.
I'm over due for this vote since I've been playing with docker containers, automating the build/testing process and flying all over the place... but:
+1

Completed the test cases for the following built from the latest available sources of each dependent library:
system:
  kernel:
    name: Linux
    release: 3.16.0-4-amd64
    version: #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1 (2016-12-30)
    machine: x86_64

  libraries:
    openssl: "1.1.0g"
    openldap: "2.4.45"
    apr: "1.6.3"
    apr-util: "1.6.1"
    iconv: "1.2.2"
    brotli: "1.0.1"
    nghttp2: "1.27.0"
    zlib: "1.2.11"
    pcre: "8.41"
    libxml2: "2.9.7"
    php: "5.6.32"
    lua: "5.3.4"
    curl: "7.56.1"

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Based on the copyright/licensing exception I noted earlier today, I have to
vote -1. I'd expect the incubating rat tool could have caught this, but it
is principally invoked against incubating candidates.

Now that the mod_md config changes are in place, I suspect we are ready for
a second attempt.

Thanks for RM'ing!

Bill