Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shiby Maria John <Sh...@ibsplc.com> on 2006/09/21 06:47:43 UTC

Logging application messages to a file instead of to the console

Hi,

I have an application deployed in Tomcat 5.0 in Linux OS.

I want my application messages as well as the JVM logs to log into a
file instead of into the console.

How can I do that?

Appreciate if some one can answer this query asap. It is in production
enviornment.

Regards,
Shiby

Re: Logging application messages to a file instead of to the console

Posted by Mark Barnes <ma...@coat.com>.
Shiby -

Could you show us the code where your code creates your Logger and set your Formatter and Handler, then give us an example where your code
actually uses the Logger to log a message?

---Mark

Shiby Maria John wrote:
> Ok thanks

 .
 .
 .

> Sorry Shiby,
>
> I've got no idea about the java logger as such. But had it been Log4j,
>
> I'd have checked my log4j.properties for the configured appender.
>
> Santosh.
>
> Shiby Maria John wrote:
>> No, java logger. (java.util.logging package)
 .
 .
 .
>> Hi,
>>
>> What Logger are you using within the application. Is it Log4j?
>>
>> Santosh.
>>
>> Shiby Maria John wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the immediate reply..
>>> But I tried that .. it is loggin only Tomcat server specific
>>>
>> messages
>>
>>> and not the application messages.
>>>
>>> This is what I gave in my server.xml file
>>>
>>> <Logger classname="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>>> path="D:\applog.log" verbosity="INFORMATION" />
>>>
>>> But only the INFO: messages from the server is coming in the file.
 .
 .
 .

Posted by Shiby Maria John <Sh...@ibsplc.com>.
Ok thanks

             Santosh
             Puranshettiwar
             <santosh@wirkle                                       To
             .com>                   Tomcat Users List
                                     <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
             09/21/2006                                            cc
             11:17 AM
                                                              Subject
                                     Re: Logging application messages
             Please respond          to a file instead of to the
                   to                console
              "Tomcat Users
                  List"
             <users@tomcat.a
               pache.org>

Shiby Maria John wrote:
> No, java logger. (java.util.logging package)
>

>              Santosh

>              Puranshettiwar

>              <santosh@wirkle
>              .com>                   Tomcat Users List

>                                      <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

>              09/21/2006
cc
>              11:06 AM

Subject

Posted by Santosh Puranshettiwar <sa...@wirkle.com>.
Sorry Shiby,

Posted by Shiby Maria John <Sh...@ibsplc.com>.

Shiby Maria John wrote:
> Thanks for the immediate reply..
> But I tried that .. it is loggin only Tomcat server specific
messages
> and not the application messages.
>
> This is what I gave in my server.xml file
>
> <Logger classname="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> path="D:\applog.log" verbosity="INFORMATION" />
>
> But only the INFO: messages from the server is coming in the file.
>
> Regards,
> Shiby
>

>              "Caldarale,

>              Charles R"