Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by External Lists <ex...@ManagedObjects.com> on 2000/05/06 21:03:19 UTC

Suggestion for exec task

We have a need to exec tasks during our build asynchronously, because they
interact with subsequent tasks to automate them.  For example:

<exec command="poke_input"  />
<exec command="thing_to_poke" />

Using "start poke_input" doesn't appear to work without it, but perhaps
"poke_input &" would work in Unix.

So I've implemented a modification to Exec.java (attached) that takes an
optional async="yes|on|true" attribute.  The proc.waitFor() and thread joins
will happen asynchronously if async="yes" is set.  Otherwise, the behavior
is synchronous as before.

<exec command="poke_input" async="yes" />
<exec command="thing_to_poke" />

For your evaluation.

Thanks,

John