Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com> on 2003/05/19 17:29:29 UTC

two-step container managed authentication

Hi,

I am soliciting advice from other struts and web developers.  I am
moving my in-progress project (JSP & servlets only) to Struts framework
after having been converted at a JUG meeting, and am planning things
out.  One of the things I would like to do is move from my current
security model (which uses a homebrewed authentication filter) to
container-managed authorization/authentication.  However, I would like
to perform two steps in the login and am not sure if this is possible
with CMA.

When a user requests a resource of the webapp, a login (form-based auth)
should be presented, and the user enters username and password.  The
authorization is performed against LDAP (partly the motivation to move
from my security filter to container-managed auth is to make JNDI/LDAP
auth easier to set up).  If the user authorizes successfully, then a
*second* step is performed -- authenticate against a local (non-LDAP)
database of registered users.  If the user's name is present in this
database, fine, log in as normal.  However, if the username is not
present in this database, then the user must be requesting an account to
use this webapp: execute the NewUserRequestAction.

This is something I can easily do with my filter, simply by implementing
the code myself.  But is it possible to do with container-managed
authorization?  Any suggestions?  BTW I would like to perform all of
this within a single HTTP request so that there is no opportunity for
the user to change the username after authorizing against LDAP but
before querying the database.

Thanks,

Erik

Re: two-step container managed authentication

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Adam Hardy wrote:
> A possible enhancement (assuming that the filter will work directly
> after the CMS returns) - it would save user interaction if you
> automatically imported the user's account, rather than asking if they
> want to do that.

Well, that's a good point, but I sort of simplified my actual intent.
What will actually happen if a user isn't registered is a message will
be added to a queue so that an administrator will be made aware that
there is a request for a new account from user X, and the adminstrator
will approve or reject the account creation.  Since the application will
not be used by a large number of users this is do-able.

Thanks Adam.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
A possible enhancement (assuming that the filter will work directly
after the CMS returns) - it would save user interaction if you
automatically imported the user's account, rather than asking if they
want to do that.

At my last project, we imported a Lotus Notes LDAP directory every
midnight into the app so that all the potential users were already set
up. We still authenticated against Lotus Notes though.

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

RE: [OT] two headed toad toads with red eyes - viral meme?

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
<snip>
Is the mailing list being invaded by struts coding herpetologists or what?
</snip>

Si Baroni!

...Perhaps someone should call DangerMouse and his trusty assistant Penfold
to come deal with all these toads?
...or maybe I should just go home and get some sleep....

Is the mailing list being invaded by struts coding herpetologists or what?
Seriously, can someone explain the etymology of this "two headed toad toads
with red eyes" thing?  I've spotted it in a few posts recently and I'm
curious to know what culture, literature, etc. gave birth to this phrase.

Posted by Jim Krygowski <ja...@shaws.com>.
Hey-

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
I have just been looking at this myself. CMA is based on realms and at
present there are several realm solutions in tomcat.

one solution is pure LDAP, although I am afraid you wouldn't be able to
configure it to manage your second requirement with the extra login.
There is no hook to allow you to step in and do the second login.

Secondly though there is a prototype JAAS realm manager in tomcat which
allows you to write your own login module, which would be give you
leeway to do all you want. Check out the tomcat realm-HOWTO docs and
Sun's JAAS authentication tutorial. I just ploughed thro' it all to sort
out what is what and I'm trying to document it for myself at the moment.
Give me an hour and you can have a look if you want.

Alternatively you could override the catalina LDAP realm class.

Last time I had a conversation about this, it got very off-topic
quickly, because it's much more tomcat than struts. Struts does tie in
with CMA via struts' ability to specify roles as security constraints on
action mappings though.

Adam

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.
Hi John, thanks for responding.

I think that what I will do (if I ever get to that stage of this
project, right now I'm still working on domain layer), is use CMA via
JNDI (JNDIRealm) to authenticate against LDAP.  Then, if the
authentication proves successful, the HTTP request continues to the
webapp where it is intercepted by a filter, which performs
authentication against the app-specific DB (with its own username list).
  Then, if authentication is successful, the user is logged in and goes
wherever they were headed -- but if not, they are redirected to an
Action where they can fill out a form to request an app-specific account.

I'll post here if I'm able to get that up and running, though again,
right now I'm focused on another part of the code.

Erik

PS: interesting -- you got this email pretty late?

Posted by John Tangney <jo...@jdtangney.com>.