Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/20 22:10:25 UTC

Explanation of Grid/Hudson setup...

Can anyone explain why the grid is setup up in the way that it is?

I'm looking at upgrading from CruiseControl but my layout is very different.

e.g.
I have each module in the build as a separate entity to be built.
A module is rebuilt if the source changes or one of its dependencies
has been rebuilt recently.

I also have a nightly build which runs at the top level project only
to deploy the website as well.

>From looking at the grid the above layout isn't used.  Instead
projects are bunched together.
e.g. I expected to see a build for each of the maven plugins.  Instead
I see https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/view/Plugins/ with
"plugins-CI-with-maven-2.0.x" and "plugins-IT-with-maven-2.0.x", etc
in them.

Having someone explain why they have laid out the grid in this fashion
would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Explanation of Grid/Hudson setup...

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Mostly it was just a time factor. The native maven support in Hudson that
breaks out the builds by modules isn't able to be mixed with the
multi-configuration setup we wanted to test across many platforms. This
meant we went with the high level projects like plugins instead of 20 odd
individual plugin projects underneath. It also means less svn polling which
we've noticed apache infra to be extra protective of (we've had the system
banned before). That's really it, less jobs to setup and manage while
rolling out the grid. The grid work is still ongoing and eventually we
should be able to flip it over to individual projects.