Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/13 12:42:06 UTC

Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> This is not a vote, but simply a discussion about the graduation of
> ActiveMQ from the Incubator. The status file is located here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/STATUS
>
> We are proactively seeking feedback in the interest of graduation.
>

> Regards,
> Alan

In regards to the infrastructure items, IMHO JIRA is a critical service
required by the project and should be run on ASF infrastructure.

Some of the benefits of moving ActiveMQ's JIRA data to the ASF would be:
* JIRA svn integration (ability to see svn changes associated with a
JIRA issue)
* Backups of JIRA data under ASF control

Seems like now would be a good time to do this, but currently JIRA does
not have the ability to import data for a single project from data
exported from another JIRA instance (
http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1604 ).

Would it be practical to follow Jeff Turner's suggestion in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-713 , e.g. downloading a
copy of JIRA 'Standalone' (built-in hsql db), load the data into it,
delete everything not relating to ActiveMQ, and create an export and
then run ActiveMQ's JIRA in a separate JIRA instance?

Once JIRA's import/export is enhanced we then could import the data into
the main ASF instance.

Thoughts?

Regards,

John

Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
John Sisson wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> This is not a vote, but simply a discussion about the graduation of
>> ActiveMQ from the Incubator. The status file is located here:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/STATUS
>>
>> We are proactively seeking feedback in the interest of graduation.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
> In regards to the infrastructure items, IMHO JIRA is a critical
> service required by the project and should be run on ASF infrastructure.
>
> Some of the benefits of moving ActiveMQ's JIRA data to the ASF would be:
> * JIRA svn integration (ability to see svn changes associated with a
> JIRA issue)
> * Backups of JIRA data under ASF control
>
> Seems like now would be a good time to do this, but currently JIRA
> does not have the ability to import data for a single project from
> data exported from another JIRA instance (
> http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1604 ).
>
> Would it be practical to follow Jeff Turner's suggestion in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-713 , e.g. downloading a
> copy of JIRA 'Standalone' (built-in hsql db), load the data into it,
> delete everything not relating to ActiveMQ, and create an export and
> then run ActiveMQ's JIRA in a separate JIRA instance?
>
> Once JIRA's import/export is enhanced we then could import the data
> into the main ASF instance.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds great.  It seems that you have a good start on this.  Thanks for
volunteering!

/me ducks out of the room...

Regards,
Alan

Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 13 Mar 2006, at 17:27, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
>> I agree that we should work on getting our JIRA in the ASF
>> infrastructure!
>> But I don' think accomplishing that task should be gate the limit's a
>> poddling from graduation from the incubator.
>
> Well, I do.  At the end of the Incubation process, it must have all
> resources on ASF-standard resources or I will vote -1.

Given the complexity of moving just a single project from a JIRA
server into a different server, how about we create a brand new JIRA
project on Apache's JIRA server for ActiveMQ and leave the old one
around for legacy pre-Apache stuff?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I'll start at thread on infrastructure to discuss how best to get the
JIRA migration done.

Regards,
Hiram

On 3/13/06, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > I agree that we should work on getting our JIRA in the ASF infrastructure!
> > But I don' think accomplishing that task should be gate the limit's a
> > poddling from graduation from the incubator.
>
> Well, I do.  At the end of the Incubation process, it must have all
> resources on ASF-standard resources or I will vote -1.
>
> > I did a quick check and it
> > seems even the Maven TLP's JIRA is not on Apache infrastructure. see:
> > http://maven.apache.org/issue-tracking.html
>
> I would not look at Maven as a good example of where the lines should
> be drawn.  -- justin

Hiram

Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi John,

On 3/13/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > This is not a vote, but simply a discussion about the graduation of
> > ActiveMQ from the Incubator. The status file is located here:
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/STATUS
> >
> > We are proactively seeking feedback in the interest of graduation.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Alan
> >
> In regards to the infrastructure items, IMHO JIRA is a critical service
> required by the project and should be run on ASF infrastructure.

I agree that we should work on getting our JIRA in the ASF infrastructure!
But I don' think accomplishing that task should be gate the limit's a
poddling from graduation from the incubator.  I did a quick check and it
seems even the Maven TLP's JIRA is not on Apache infrastructure. see:
http://maven.apache.org/issue-tracking.html

Some of the benefits of moving ActiveMQ's JIRA data to the ASF would be:
> * JIRA svn integration (ability to see svn changes associated with a
> JIRA issue)
> * Backups of JIRA data under ASF control
>
> Seems like now would be a good time to do this, but currently JIRA does
> not have the ability to import data for a single project from data
> exported from another JIRA instance (
> http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1604 ).

Agreed.  I would think this one of the biggest problems that the ASF
infrastructure team has with JIRA.

Regards,
Hiram

Would it be practical to follow Jeff Turner's suggestion in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-713 , e.g. downloading a
> copy of JIRA 'Standalone' (built-in hsql db), load the data into it,
> delete everything not relating to ActiveMQ, and create an export and
> then run ActiveMQ's JIRA in a separate JIRA instance?
>
> Once JIRA's import/export is enhanced we then could import the data into
> the main ASF instance.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,
>
> John