Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Maximilian Rehm <m....@netnolix.com> on 2000/11/22 20:16:23 UTC

Can't open build.xml

I've installed the jdk1.3, tomcat 3.1 and ant 1.2 on Win2K Prof and I
believe that I have set the envrironment variables correctly.  However, when
executing ant from the c prompt in my current development directory I get
the following error message.

Buildfile: build.xml
BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: build.xml due to:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-031 <
org.apache.tools.ant.BuildException: Can't open config file: build.xml due
to:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-031 <
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.configureProject(ProjectHelper.java:93)

Can anyone help?  I used the build.xml file supplied with Tomcat's sample
app.

Thanks in advance
Max

Re: Can't open build.xml

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Maximilian Rehm <m....@netnolix.com> wrote:

> I've installed the jdk1.3, tomcat 3.1 and ant 1.2 on Win2K Prof and
> I believe that I have set the envrironment variables correctly.

The build files shipping with Tomcat 3.1 won't work with Ant 1.2 as
Ant has changed quite a bit since Tomcat 3.1 has been released, so be
prepared to go through a lot of changes.

> However, when executing ant from the c prompt in my current
> development directory I get the following error message.

> Buildfile: build.xml
> BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: build.xml due to:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-031 <

This is the parsers funny way to say "there is a syntactic error in
your build file. Unfortuantely I don't know how to tell you where, as
your locale is not supported by my error message printer".

I have no idea how to change the locale on Win2K (not even if it'd be
wise to recommend something like this). I vaguely remeber there was a
missing closing ">" in one of the example buildfiles of Tomcat 3.1.

Stefan