Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Peter Andersén <pe...@internetborder.se> on 2004/01/10 15:30:04 UTC

Any books

Hi Anyone know any good books that can be purchased regarding jetspeed

Thanks
Peter

Re: Write your own book (notes) for Jetspeed 1.4+

Posted by Paul Mansfield <pa...@psineteurope.com>.
On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:34, John Wubbel wrote:
> It would be nice if there was one on-line location where people could
> post or share their journals through taxonomy or ontology representing
> all the open source packages used in the deployment. It would seem more

I agree. And waddya know, there is such a place... I found it before I
found the mailing list, and I wondered why there it wasn't being used
much!

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JetspeedProjectPages

I did add some content
However, it's not that easy to find. In fact, I haven't been there for a
while and even though I knew it existed it too a few goes to find it! I
have no idea why it's not referenced on the jetspeed resources page
here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/resources.html

Maybe someone with access to the jetspeed web pages could add it?

Maybe then people could add their combination of software and hardware -
I've added ours.

regards
Paul

Re: Write your own book (notes) for Jetspeed 1.4+

Posted by John Wubbel <jo...@johnwubbel.com>.
What I rather suspect based on our own experience that when someone gets
involved developing a portal, they keep a log or journal documenting the
experience. At least that we did because at certain times you can run
into a problem and once it gets resolved, you write it down out of fear
of forgetting what it was you did to fix it. These type of notes are
really not in a ready to use form or organized for publishing. My notes
kind of look like a blog.

I would envision not a book for beginners or even advanced developers
because one really needs to be fairly welled healed in architecture and
design when it comes to integration of open source products at this
level. When I look at my notes, they do not document the Apache, Tomcat
or MySQL. It documents that space between each package and our approach
was of course to take the path of least resistance. For example, once we
had Jetspeed running and a base set of portlets, we integrated Zope as
our CMS. We tested this out thoroughly and then stopped to do the
necessary administration and configuration to make the entire enterprise
portal run securely. This means we had to rebuild Apache with mod_jk
among a number of other things and in order to do this the documentation
is found to be distributed all over the place with respect to Tomcat,
Zope, etc. A very time consuming task to run it down let alone read it.
The actual deployment of open source packages are made easy by the
community. I guess you have to define what a "beginner" is at this level
of work as most folks I have worked with can get the packages deployed
without much trouble, but the real test of your skill is following
through on your architect's specification is to integrate. This is where
the real risk happens to be because so many times you post on a news
group only to find out that no has tried to do a certain configuration
before.

When you stop and look at how many different ways people are building
Jetspeed portals, there are probably more configurations than there are
Linux distros. But the most common base consisting of Apache, Tomcat,
Jetspeed, MySQL, Velocity/JSP etc., could be considered the beginners
section of a book. Beyond that my wish list of content probably is not
going to be the same as yours. I ended up architecting an integration of
Zope and most recently including Zope Products such as Squishdot and
Silva. The unanswered questions that makes one apprehensive about
investing the time and money into such a combination of packages such as
"will the ZServer and Zope database live happily with everything else"
or "what code if any is going to be required on the back-end". Zope is
more complex because most of the things that you can think of that are
needed come in the form of Zope Product add-ons. I would say these
things are the intermediate level of skill that a book should support.
Unfortunately, another company might be building an entirely different
implementation of CMS and publishing and so my list is irrelevant for
them.

Monitoring the Zope news groups you see book requests coming from the
opposite direction. They typically are wondering what type of portals
could host or support their implementation.

An advance section of a book may address things like scalability such as
Tomcat clustering, migration to higher end hardware platforms,
performance and rigorous quality assurance testing.

It would be nice if there was one on-line location where people could
post or share their journals through taxonomy or ontology representing
all the open source packages used in the deployment. It would seem more
useful to me as I do not have the time to take the notes and write them
up for a formal publication. At some point we are going to have to
formally document our implementation because some customers are going to
want it in-house and when we do that, the journal is going to be a key
point of reference that tells me why we did the things the way we did.

Cheers,

John Wubbel
Securitydirector, LLC