Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Nick Faiz <ni...@ce.com.au> on 2003/08/25 00:45:26 UTC

Newcomers being useful

Hi,

            I'm another newcomer. When time permits, I think it would be
helpful to give newcomers a clearer insight into what is needed for the
project. For example, I'd be happy to write unit tests but how do I know
that another developer is not doing the same thing at the same time
somewhere else? On the other hand, if someone needs a hand with something
like that, please let me know.

            I'm looking forward to Alex Rupp's design documents ...

            My current goal is to keep an up to date build, learn the
design, etc.. Hopefully, when things settle down, it will become clearer for
the uninitiated how to participate.

Regards,

Nick Faiz.

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.
On 8/25/03 3:51 PM, in article BAY8-DAV16HtMFaukyC00043d86@hotmail.com,
"kamesh kompella"
<ko...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>                   Thanks for the info. In that case, I will look into getting
> RA going for openjms. This will be the "dummy" RA that can be used for testing
> the app server's contract's implementation once the infrastructure is in
> place.
>
> I was intrigued by one of your statements:
> "Personally, I don’t think the CCI offers much value. Most Ras will have very
> specific APIs. I think we should avoid supporting it."
> Is the variability in API ok as the code will be derived at deployment time
> with the help of some tools which will hide the custom API from source code?
> Also, what happens to two tier clients ( Should we leave them out altogether
> since this is as bad as mixing DB calls in a JSP) ? Do we assume that these
> clients will talk to the App server?
>
> Thanks.
> Kamesh

If I remember correctly ­ its been a couple of years ‹ the CCI is an
abstraction for a synch resource. The idea was to create an API that any
resource could implement, regardless of its purpose. However, in practice
each type of resource has its own API and usually its easier to work with
that, than a generic abstraction.  I think some vendors have implemented the
CCI for ERP RA adapters, but I¹m not sure about that. Personally, I don¹t
think the CCI adds much value, but I don¹t really care if someone else wants
to implement it.

Richard

Re: Axioms for JCA implementation

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.
My 2 cents ...

<ko...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>             There are some tests in place already under the
> incubator-geronimo\specs\j2ee-connector\src\test directory. However,  these
> are against the classes that are specified in the spec. Beyond these, as I see
> it, one can write all the tests one wants, (as they will be testing the
> interfaces)  but the more important path of figuring out what's to be done to
> make the implementations concrete has to be tread. There are several gaps in
> the connector specification that will need to be filled in. These are left out
> for the implementation. Further, we need to figure out the axioms for the
> system.
>
> 1. What can we assume and program against? In other words, what are the givens
> and what is it we are trying to accomplish?

Support for arbitrary JCA 1.5 connectors (resources).

> 2. Are we going to provide hooks to let individual RAs or are we not going to
> do any implementation there at all? In fact, what is the purview of this
> project vis-a-vis the implementation? Are we going to limit ourselves to
> simply implementing the contract from the app server side?  I do realize that
> providing an implementation for each EIS there is, is hard.

At a minimum we should provide a JCA RA for OpenJMS. This will allow us to
use that impl for MDBs and as the default JMS provider. Last time I checked,
the JMS API wasn¹t explicitly aligned with JCA 1.5, but I don¹t think that
will be a problem to work around.

> 3. The spec does not require that the CCI need be supported. In the light of
> this information, are we planning on evolving an API?

Personally, I don¹t think the CCI offers much value. Most Ras will have very
specific APIs. I think we should avoid supporting it.

> 4. In any case, we will need to write dummy RAs that will ensure that our
> tests run. We will also need to supply other components that will become a
> reality eventually when other groups fill in.
>
> I recall having have heard certain other ideas that are outside the scope of
> the spec per se but seem to be the responsibility of the implementation group.
> I was wondering if anybody can fill me in on these.
>
> In short, since this is a spec that is pretty much laid out, with most of the
> work being done by the third parties or first parties which ever you feel like
> calling it, I see little reason for not getting the ball rolling. This is, of
> course, my 2 cents, and I could be splashing my ignorance for all and sundry
> to wallow in. If that is the case, please enjoy the humor I provided and don't
> forget to mail me the check. :)

I would advise that we wait until the core architecture of Geronoimo is
established. There is still debate about how the kernel should be
implemented, and this will have a direct impact on the JCA support in
Geronimo.  That said, I don¹t think there is any harm in getting started on