Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org> on 2001/12/16 05:31:25 UTC

Why is the Tomcat so frisky???

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

OK.

What is the deal with that Tomcat logo?

I know it is from the old Tomcat product even while it is back at SUN.

Who was the artist?  Very cool that this was snuck past SUN marketing.

I mean it is a 2D picture correct?  Why does the kat have 3 legs?

The point is that the 3rd black leg isn't really a leg.. right?

I mean Tomcats are really well known for one thing.  If you have seen one
roaming your neighborhood at 3AM.

Anyway... would be interesting to hear about how this got created.

Kevin

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

Re: Why is the Tomcat so frisky???

Posted by Scott Tavares <st...@home.com>.
That's just too funny LOL!

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.
James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net> writes:

> On 12/15/01 20:31, "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org>
> wrote:
>
> > What is the deal with that Tomcat logo?
> > I know it is from the old Tomcat product even while it is back at SUN.
>
> Bzzzt. Wrong answer. The logo was paid for by Sun, but happened after the
> Tomcat source code was dropped to the public.

Are you sure?  I was using Tomcat before it came over to Apache and it did have
that Tomcat logo... or something very similar.

Anyone have an old .zip or tar :)
<snip>

> It's a leg. At no point during the design did any of us (2 males and one
> female) associate the 3rd leg with the implement that you have now associated
> it with. It was until your post that I saw that for the first time in the
> almost three years it has been since we did that logo.

That is funny!

I saw it a year ago after ApacheCon on the mug you gave me...

I was just staring at it and it hit me... that is not a leg!

I either figured it was created by a TOTAL genius or just a random fluke!

... but a funny random fluke! :)

> But now that you point it out.. You sick sick man. :)
<snip>

... ug.

Kevin

Linux is both Open Source and Free Software, Java is neither!

Re: Why is the Tomcat so frisky???

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
wrote:

> What is the deal with that Tomcat logo?
> I know it is from the old Tomcat product even while it is back at SUN.

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. The logo was paid for by Sun, but happened after the
Tomcat source code was dropped to the public. (though not by much -- it was
a process that was all over the map -- we started the process before the
code drop, but after the announcement if I remember right). We explicitly
snuck it past all the rules and regulations dealing with Sun logos by having
an outside consultant hire another outside consultant to do it.

This little sneak was one of many blatant end runs around beauracracy that
was performed in the process of getting Tomcat out the door. Whole vast
parts of Sun hated us for doing what we did. Oh well, I don't loose sleep
over it.

> Who was the artist?  Very cool that this was snuck past SUN marketing.

It was a collaborative design between myself and the two outside
consultants. There were several designs proposed, none of which I liked.
Most were cartoony pictures of cats leaning against motorcycles. Being a fan
of abstractionism, I pushed for something like what you see today.

I mean one of the cartoon cats was smoking a cigarette. Sheesh.

> I mean it is a 2D picture correct?  Why does the kat have 3 legs?

A 2d representation of a 3d object will not always show all of its parts
(legs that is). Even more so since this is a modernist interpretation of
said 3d object. One of the first drafts didn't have the third leg and it
looked rather funny. Like a picture of how kids will draw horses running
instead of how horses really look when you take a photograph of them.

> The point is that the 3rd black leg isn't really a leg.. right?

It's a leg. At no point during the design did any of us (2 males and one
female) associate the 3rd leg with the implement that you have now
associated it with. It was until your post that I saw that for the first
time in the almost three years it has been since we did that logo.

But now that you point it out.. You sick sick man. :)

Even when I gave Tomcat it's name, it didn't have the randy in the gutter
interpretation that you are giving it. Anybody who has been to one of my
"How Tomcat and Jakarta happened" speeches should be able to tell you why I
named it Tomcat.

Class? Come on. I'm not telling all the secrets in one email. :)

|* x180:james duncan davidson                          duncan@x180.net *|
|* http://www.x180.net/                                     !try; do() *|

RE: Why is the Tomcat so frisky???

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
>From: burton@universe.yi.org [mailto:burton@universe.yi.org]On Behalf Of
>

>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
>
>OK.
>
>What is the deal with that Tomcat logo?
>
>I know it is from the old Tomcat product even while it is back at SUN.
>
>Who was the artist?  Very cool that this was snuck past SUN marketing.
>
>I mean it is a 2D picture correct?  Why does the kat have 3 legs?
>
>The point is that the 3rd black leg isn't really a leg.. right?

*Huch* now as you say, I recognoized it, that's -well- shocking ;-))

  Gerhard

"The most important question when any new
computer architecture is introduced is 'So what?'"

Re: Why is the Tomcat so frisky???

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/15/01 8:31 PM, "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org>
wrote:

> Anyway... would be interesting to hear about how this got created.
>
> Kevin

It sounds like you already know the story. :-)

-jon