Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> on 2009/10/31 14:16:07 UTC

bringing clamav into the loop?

Greetings;

Does anyone have a procmail recipe that incorporates clamav into the checks,
and one that handles the clamav output to /dev/null the viri etc?

At least I assume clamav doesn't auto-delete, I've not yet studied all the
docs, but do have freshclam running apparently ok.

Thanks everybody.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do
have a problem.
		-- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Does anyone have a procmail recipe that incorporates clamav into the
>> checks, and one that handles the clamav output to /dev/null the viri etc?
>
>amavisd handles both SA and clamav, and unlike SA, can quarantine or
>delete the viri.
>(but it handles user based scoreing and bayes WAY different)
>
>you could check that out.

It seem that I have an amivisd-new already installed.  Only html docs, which
I guess I'm gonna have to get used to.  I'll take a look at them.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

So far we've managed to avoid turning Perl into APL.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <19...@wall.org>

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
>On 10/31/2009 2:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> this works for me:
>>> :0cW
>>> :
>>>
>>> CLAMAV_CODE=$?
>>>
>>> :0
>>>
>>> * CLAMAV_CODE ?? 1
>>> /dev/null
>>
>> This looks like what I had in mind.  But since I don't have that part
>> checked out yet, would it then delete the mail because clamdscan had an
>> error?  I'll enable the second after the first is working. :)
>
>it will only delete the msg if clamdscan returns code 1
>if it errors out, it won't return code 1
>
>running only the first part will only show it did something if you
>enable procmail logging

It is enabled, and a tail shows this:

procmail: Executing "clamdscan,--no-summary,--stdout,-"
procmail: Non-zero exitcode (2) from "clamdscan"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=clamdscan --no-summary --stdout -"
procmail: Assigning "CLAMAV_CODE=2"

for every msg so far.  Now I need to grok what the error is.  It may be that
I need to tell clamdscan who it is running as since its is not running as the
user clamav.

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The F-15 Eagle:
	If it's up, we'll shoot it down.  If it's down, we'll blow it up.
-- A McDonnel-Douglas ad from a few years ago

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, Adam Katz wrote:
>Yet Another Ninja wrote:
>> On 10/31/2009 2:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> This looks like what I had in mind.  But since I don't have that part
>>> checked out yet, would it then delete the mail because clamdscan had
>>> an error?  I'll enable the second after the first is working. :)
>>
>> my recipe was stolen from this
>>
>> see
>> http://wiki.clamav.net/bin/view/Main/ClamAndProcmail
>
>I like this one better ... it shows the scan results.
>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FilteringViruses
>
>(Odd that the SA wiki's version is more complete than Clam's...)
>
>There's also an SA plugin that can call ClamAV, see
>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin
>
>However, I highly recommend something that interacts at SMTP-time so
>that a 500-series reject notice can be issued, letting the sender know
>that the message wasn't delivered due to its virus/malware content (I
>also feel this way about spam filtering).

Is this possible by the users of fetchmail or mpop?

I wasn't aware that a pop client has the rights to issue a 500 reject to a
pop3 server..  In addition to trying to get clamav running from a procmail
recipe, I am looking into replacing fetchmail with mpop.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

What I tell you three times is true.
		-- Lewis Carroll

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, jdow wrote:
> [...]

I'd settle for a /dev/null ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<knghtbrd> *sigh*  My todo list is like the fucking energizer bunny
<knghtbrd> It keeps growing and growing and growing and ...

>> On 10/31/2009 2:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> This looks like what I had in mind.  But since I don't have that part
>>> checked out yet, would it then delete the mail because clamdscan had
>>> an error?  I'll enable the second after the first is working. :)
>>
>> my recipe was stolen from this
>>
>> see
>> http://wiki.clamav.net/bin/view/Main/ClamAndProcmail
>
> I like this one better ... it shows the scan results.
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FilteringViruses
>
> (Odd that the SA wiki's version is more complete than Clam's...)
>
> There's also an SA plugin that can call ClamAV, see
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin
>
> However, I highly recommend something that interacts at SMTP-time so
> that a 500-series reject notice can be issued, letting the sender know
> that the message wasn't delivered due to its virus/malware content (I
> also feel this way about spam filtering).
>
> Also note (and this is a current predicament on my own deployment) that
> clamdscan (as well as clamav-milter, which is what I use) is incapable
> of breaking some attachments out of emails; an EICAR test attached with
> Thunderbird still gets delivered in all three of the above
> implementations on my system.

Some of us use fetchmail rather than run a real server. That rather moots
your comment. (I remember helping Gene decouple SpamAssassin from his
email program. He was getting annoyed at the time it took to load emails.
With fetchmail, procmail, and dovecot or equivalents, you can do a rather
creditable job. But you cannot issue a 500. {^_-})

{^_^}

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
>On 10/31/2009 2:16 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Does anyone have a procmail recipe that incorporates clamav into the
>> checks, and one that handles the clamav output to /dev/null the viri etc?
>>
>> At least I assume clamav doesn't auto-delete, I've not yet studied all
>> the docs, but do have freshclam running apparently ok.
>
>this works for me:
>:0cW
>:
>|clamdscan --no-summary --stdout -
>
>CLAMAV_CODE=$?
>
>:0
>
>* CLAMAV_CODE ?? 1
>/dev/null

This looks like what I had in mind.  But since I don't have that part checked
out yet, would it then delete the mail because clamdscan had an error?  I'll
enable the second after the first is working. :)

Many Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"`If there's anything more important than my ego around, I
want it caught and shot now.'"

- Zaphod.

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, jdow wrote:

Unforch, the dependencies don't seem to be installable, even with a fresh
cpan on F10. It needs the Net::Ident kit, an apparently deprecated package as
far as buildability by cpan goes:
===================
cpan[9]> install Net::Ident
Running install for module 'Net::Ident'
Running make for J/JP/JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz
  Has already been unwrapped into directory /root/.cpan/build/Net-
Ident-1.20-5nmQuD
  Has already been made
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/0use.t .... Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20-5nmQuD/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
t/0use.t .... ok
t/apache.t .. Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20-5nmQuD/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
t/apache.t .. skipped: (no reason given)
t/compat.t .. Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20-5nmQuD/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
t/compat.t .. skipped: (no reason given)
t/Ident.t ... Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20-5nmQuD/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
t/Ident.t ... Failed 3/8 subtests

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/Ident.t (Wstat: 0 Tests: 8 Failed: 3)
  Failed tests:  1-3
Files=4, Tests=9, 112 wallclock secs ( 0.04 usr  0.01 sys +  2.17 cusr  0.47
csys =  2.69 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 1/4 test programs. 3/9 subtests failed.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
  JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz
  /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
//hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module, try:
  reports JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz
Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent
state
Running make install
  make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
Failed during this command:
 JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz                    : make_test NO

cpan[10]>
====================

Ideas?

Toss in that Fedora's clamav packages are about 4 versions out of date.
Fedora list Cc:'d

Thanks Joanne.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.

Posted by Toni Mueller <su...@oeko.net>.
Hi,

On Sat, 31.10.2009 at 09:16:07 -0400, Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have a procmail recipe that incorporates clamav into the checks,
> and one that handles the clamav output to /dev/null the viri etc?

which mail system do you use?

I'm using this setup together with qmail-ldap and qmail-scanner, and it
works like a charm, but of course, your requirements might be vastly
different.

Kind regards,
--Toni++

Re: bringing clamav into the loop?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 October 2009, jdow wrote:

Which I haven't succeeded in yet my dear.  Too many perl deps can't be found.
I think, its getting late here. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You can make it illegal, but you can't make it unpopular.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Karl Pearson <ka...@ourldsfamily.com>.
On Sat, October 31, 2009 7:16 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Does anyone have a procmail recipe that incorporates clamav into the
> checks,
> and one that handles the clamav output to /dev/null the viri etc?
>
> At least I assume clamav doesn't auto-delete, I've not yet studied all
> the
> docs, but do have freshclam running apparently ok.
>
> Thanks everybody.

I use ClamAV-milter at MTA level at the gateway. In the new version of
ClamAV, email is not deleted, but is quarantined within sendmail itself.

I run a cron job against the sendmail queue and send myself a report on
each quarantined email, then remove them. With sendmail this is done
with these two commands:

report each:
mailq -qQ
remove from quarantine and delete:
sendmail -qQ

Very useful and the virus infected emails don't get inside my network
anywhere, which if using procmail/SpamAssassin, they would have to. My
network is protected from both the viruses and the waste of email
traffic.

HTH,

Karl

> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> The NRA is offering FREE Associate memberships to anyone who wants them.
> <https://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/accept-membership.asp>
>
> If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do
> have a problem.
> 		-- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

---