Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by manju16832003 <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/06 11:25:32 UTC

Re: Core admin: create new core

Solr 5 has been released. I was just giving a try and come across the same
issue. As I heard over from some documentation, Solr 5 doesn't come with
default core (example in earlier versions).  And this requires us to create
a core from Solr Admin. When I tried to create the core, I get the following
error

Error CREATEing SolrCore 'inventory': Unable to create core [inventory]
Caused by: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or
'/Users/manjunath.reddy/Programming/Solr/solr-5.0.0/server/solr/inventory/conf'

So I had to manually create the core based on my previous experience with
Solr 4.10 version.
I guess its quite misleading for new users of Solr. I like the older
versions of Solr that comes with default cores so that It would be easier to
follow up on.

I have attached screen shots for the reference. Is there a work around for
this?
<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n4191378/solr-1.png>
<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n4191378/solr-2.png>

Re: Core admin: create new core

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
Try -

   bin/solr create -c inventory

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/6/2015 3:25 AM, manju16832003 wrote:
> Solr 5 has been released. I was just giving a try and come across the same
> issue. As I heard over from some documentation, Solr 5 doesn't come with
> default core (example in earlier versions).  And this requires us to create
> a core from Solr Admin. When I tried to create the core, I get the following
> error
>
> Error CREATEing SolrCore 'inventory': Unable to create core [inventory]
> Caused by: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or
> '/Users/manjunath.reddy/Programming/Solr/solr-5.0.0/server/solr/inventory/conf'
>

> So I had to manually create the core based on my previous experience with
> Solr 4.10 version.
> I guess its quite misleading for new users of Solr. I like the older
> versions of Solr that comes with default cores so that It would be easier to
> follow up on.

Unless you are in SolrCloud mode, creating cores via the admin UI (or
the /admin/cores HTTP API) requires that the core directory and its conf
subdirectory with solrconfig.xml, schema.xml, and other potential files
must already exist in the indicated location.  There's a note right on
the screen for "Add Core" that says this: "instanceDir and dataDir need
to exist before you can create the core".  This was the case for 4.x as
well as 5.0.

That note is slightly misleading ... the dataDir does not need to exist,
just instanceDir and the conf directory.  Solr will create the dataDir
and its contents, if the user running Solr has permission.

There is a configsets functionality that's new in recent versions which
very likely will make it possible to create a core completely from
scratch within the admin UI in non-cloud mode, but I do not know
anything about using it, and I do not think the functionality is exposed
in the admin UI yet.

Learning about cores and/or collections and how to create them is a
hugely important part of using Solr.  In 4.x, users did not need to do
anything to get their first core, and that fact has led to many
problems.  New users don't know how to add a core, and many do not even
know about cores at all.  This requires that they must learn about the
core/collection concepts, and many of them cannot find any info about
the procedure, so they ask for help.  I am glad to help out both here
and on the IRC channel, but it improves the experience of everyone
involved if users become familiar with the concept and methods on their own.

Thanks,
Shawn