Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rudolf Korhummel <ru...@korhummel.de> on 2009/11/24 15:39:09 UTC

duplicated entries in site tab of the defaultfiredocs publication

Hi Andreas, hi Lenya Devs,

The menu.xml file provided with the defaultfiredocs publication
results in some duplicated menu entries in the site tab like "Change
NodeId".
One entry comes form the this file, the other from modules-core/
sitemanagement/config/menu.xml.
So I would like to remove the entries from menu.xml of the
defaultfiredocs publication.

In the subversion history of modules-core/sitemanagement/config/
menu.xml (r730697) I found the following note from you:
"Don't use uc:usecase for ChangeNodeId usecase to avoid expensive
precondition checks when the menu is loaded."
But in the defaultfiredocs publication's menu.xml uc:usecase is used.
Do you remember how expensive the checks are ?
If they are not too expensive I would like to use them in modules-core/
sitemanagement/config/menu.xml, because you can see directly that it's
impossible to change the NodeId of checked out documents.

WDYT ?

Best

Rudolf

Re: duplicated entries in site tab of the defaultfiredocs publication

Posted by Rudolf Korhummel <ru...@korhummel.de>.
Hi Richard,

> Rudolf Korhummel wrote:
>> Hi Andreas, hi Lenya Devs,
>>
>> The menu.xml file provided with the defaultfiredocs publication
>> results in some duplicated menu entries in the site tab like
>> "Change NodeId".
>> One entry comes form the this file, the other from modules-core/
>> sitemanagement/config/menu.xml.
>> So I would like to remove the entries from menu.xml of the
>> defaultfiredocs publication.
>>
>> In the subversion history of modules-core/sitemanagement/config/
>> menu.xml (r730697) I found the following note from you:
>> "Don't use uc:usecase for ChangeNodeId usecase to avoid expensive
>> precondition checks when the menu is loaded."
>> But in the defaultfiredocs publication's menu.xml uc:usecase is used.
>> Do you remember how expensive the checks are ?
>> If they are not too expensive I would like to use them in modules-
>> core/sitemanagement/config/menu.xml, because you can see directly
>> that it's impossible to change the NodeId of checked out documents.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Rudolf
>>

> I know nothing about the publication in question.
It's just a like the default publication with the firedocs editor
build in.
> However, the "expensive precondition checks" I do remember. When the
> menu is loaded, the enabled/disabled status is determined when the
> page is drawn. Changing the node id requires that it and all of its
> children are not live. I also think it might require that it and its
> children are not checked out. It might also require that any of its
> descendants aren't checked out. On deep trees that is a pricey
> check. Such checks are done for many of the menu items.
Thanks for your detailed answer. On our intranet  we have enabled the
checks and have no performance problems. But I think when we'll
migrate our Internet presentation to Lenya 2.0.x next spring it might
be a problem, so I would leave modules-core/sitemanagement/config/
menu.xml as it is and remove the entries in menu.xml from the
publication.

> It would be nice to move to an AJAX menu that checks if actions
> should be allowed when the menu group is selected. I know there was
> at least experimental code to make this happen.

Very interesting ! Is there a faster  way to move documents up and
down in the sitetree? Some of our users wish to have a better solution
as the step by step moving.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
Rudolf Korhummel wrote:
> Hi Andreas, hi Lenya Devs,
>
> The menu.xml file provided with the defaultfiredocs publication
> results in some duplicated menu entries in the site tab like "Change
> NodeId".
> One entry comes form the this file, the other from
> modules-core/sitemanagement/config/menu.xml.
> So I would like to remove the entries from menu.xml of the
> defaultfiredocs publication.
>
> In the subversion history of
> modules-core/sitemanagement/config/menu.xml (r730697) I found the
> following note from you:
> "Don't use uc:usecase for ChangeNodeId usecase to avoid expensive
> precondition checks when the menu is loaded."
> But in the defaultfiredocs publication's menu.xml uc:usecase is used.
> Do you remember how expensive the checks are ?
> If they are not too expensive I would like to use them in
> modules-core/sitemanagement/config/menu.xml, because you can see
> directly that it's impossible to change the NodeId of checked out
> documents.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Best
>
> Rudolf

I know nothing about the publication in question. However, the