Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Srilakshmanan, Lakshman" <la...@police.vic.gov.au> on 2008/09/18 07:22:12 UTC

Merge conflict but file has no change

Hi All,

I am experiencing a strange behaviour in svn 1.4.6 during a merge
operation.

8 files out of 186 files are flagged as in conflict.

Performing a svn diff (working base & working copy) on a conflicted file
results in a message ** The selected files are identical **.

All other files have been updated correctly.

It is possible there is some peculiarity with the 8 files identified,
but I am unable to put my finger on it.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue, I will be interested to hear
from you.

Please feel free to provide any suggestion you may have.

Thanks
Lakshman

EMAIL DISCLAIMER

This email and any attachments are confidential. They may also be subject to copyright.

If you are not an intended recipient of this email please immediately contact us by replying
to this email and then delete this email.

You must not read, use, copy, retain, forward or disclose this email or any attachment.

We do not accept any liability arising from or in connection with unauthorised use or disclosure
of the information contained in this email or any attachment.

We make reasonable efforts to protect against computer viruses but we do not accept liability
for any liability, loss or damage caused by any computer virus contained in this email.

Re: Merge conflict but file has no change

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Merge conflict but file has no chan
Srilakshmanan, Lakshman wrote on 18 Sep 2008, 17:22, at least in part:

> Hi All,
>
> I am experiencing a strange behaviour in svn 1.4.6 during a merge
> operation.
>
> 8 files out of 186 files are flagged as in conflict.
>
> Performing a svn diff (working base & working copy) on a conflicted
> file results in a message ** The selected files are identical **.
>
> All other files have been updated correctly.
>
> It is possible there is some peculiarity with the 8 files identified,
> but I am unable to put my finger on it.
>
> If anyone has experienced a similar issue, I will be interested to
> hear from you.
>
> Please feel free to provide any suggestion you may have.

"Metadata" of these files changed, e.g. svn: properties;

different types of line endings (CR, LF, CR+LF) which your diff tool
(is set to) ignore(s);

the very same changes were made in the files in both your working
copy and comitted from another working copy.  I have experienced
conflicts in this case though more often (well, this scenario does
not happen that frequently) it's just a merge. Probably depends on
the SVN version.

Jan hendrik
Freedom quote:

     Our inheritance of well-founded, slowly conceived codes of honor,
     morals, and manners, the passionate convictions which so many hundreds
     of millions share together of the principles of freedom and justice,
     are far more precious to us than anything which scientific discoveries
     could bestow.
               -- Sir Winston Churchill