Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Swan <rs...@nskinc.com> on 2006/01/18 20:09:15 UTC

SPAMD error question

I am getting the following in my Maillog and wondered if anyone knew how
to rectify, I am using Redhat9, Spamassassin 3.1.0 and postfix:

Jan 18 14:09:01 spamma spamd[16397]: prefork: server reached
--max-clients setting, consider raising it

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Peace he would say instead of goodbye....peace my brother.

Re: SPAMD error question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Robert Swan wrote:
> I am getting the following in my Maillog and wondered if anyone knew how
> to rectify, I am using Redhat9, Spamassassin 3.1.0 and postfix:
>

> Jan 18 14:09:01 spamma spamd[16397]: prefork: server reached
> --max-clients setting, consider raising it

Well, first there's a bug in the message, it's --max-children, not --max-clients.

Spamd limits the number of children it will create to prevent a flood of email
from grinding your server into the ground with an out-of-memory condition.

This message means that spamd has created the maximum number of children, and
fewer than than the --min-spare number are idle. Spamd is basically warning you
that it would ordinarily create a new instance to be able to handle more spamc
connections, but it's already at it's limit.

First see if you have sufficient free memory to run more children. (try running
the "free" command and look at the amount of free memory on the "-/+
buffers/cache" line and compare that to the RSS of your spamd children in ps aux.)

If you have room for more, edit your startup parameters to spamd. Probably in
/etc/sysconfig/spamd or /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin. If not, try
/etc/init.d/spamassassin or /etc/init.d/spamd.

the default for --max-children is 5, if you don't already have a -m or
--max-children parameter in your startup config, add one and bump it up a bit.